UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Necessary Redos / Popular Redos

Valo487

I don't really count XMO:W Blob as a 616 blob. as movie blob, he was actually pretty perfect. But i do agree that we sorely need a 616 Blob, so count him as a remake if it means he gets made.

Minimates that stand out as 'lacking' or 'old fashioned' in my collection are:

616 Fury

Mystique

White Queen

Mary Jane :yucky:

Lady DeathStirke (Lady Banana Fingers?)

Abomination

Dr Doom - i am still to be really, genuinely happy with any Doom that has come out yet. I don't think he 'needs' hood articulation. I just want a really great hood & cloak that includes the buckles. I've seen many great customs of him, but i think DST has yet to nail it.

I don't really think Carnage 'needs' to be redone. But i wouldn't mind seeing how he'd be handled these days. He might be due for a re-make simply because newer collectors haven't had a shot at him, but the original figure was about a 9/10 then and still holds up in my opinion.

a more modern Jessica Drew, SpiderMan 2099, FireStar, Luke Cage, as well as updates of Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver & Polaris would also be ok by me.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I feel that I might be biassed because ,like many of us die-hards, we probably like best, the versions we first saw,knew & loved. I'm quite happy to move on if I'm moving in the right direction but for every new version we get that is an improvement I swear we get another that is worse .....is that me being stuck in the mud or a fact?? Serious question so bring it on.

'Spider-Man Friends & Foes' was the personification of a box-set that could sell itself purely on character choice...sorry for sticking the knife in but it wasn't the quality that sold it was it? If that same box set was redone it would be a sell out again. Character choice trumps everything .

N/A

Someday I want to see a study on the life cycle of these threads. They seem to crop up about every 6-9 months.

Because Minimates have changed and the simple looks tend to look really bad next to modern versions?? Why do you always need to remind us you hate redoes? Hell, i like Wave 43 Spidey a hundred times more than the Wave 2 version (GASP!!). They're happening and they're usually always better.

My point was actually closer to why the thread crops up once a year and then dies, rather than using the same ongoing thread? It's like we get new members and they all ask the same question. IDK. That was really all I was going with that.

Dr Doom - i am still to be really, genuinely happy with any Doom that has come out yet. I don't think he 'needs' hood articulation. I just want a really great hood & cloak that includes the buckles. I've seen many great customs of him, but i think DST has yet to nail it.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the MvC one coming out soon; I think he looked great in the Toy Fare pictures, but I'm not sure I like the oversize gauntlets and boots. I can see myself subbing out an older Doom's arms and legs for those. Personally, I think the FA Doom is the best one, but he's hardly the most iconic.

I feel that I might be biassed because ,like many of us die-hards, we probably like best, the versions we first saw,knew & loved. I'm quite happy to move on if I'm moving in the right direction but for every new version we get that is an improvement I swear we get another that is worse .....is that me being stuck in the mud or a fact?? Serious question so bring it on.

'Spider-Man Friends & Foes' was the personification of a box-set that could sell itself purely on character choice...sorry for sticking the knife in but it wasn't the quality that sold it was it? If that same box set was redone it would be a sell out again. Character choice trumps everything .

I wouldn't say it's quite that 1/1 ratio between better and worse with the redos, but there definitely are some that are not better then what came before, or are more of a lateral move. The reason I get annoyed each time DST does a new Captain America is because they nailed him with the Invaders set, and each subsequent one has been different, but not better. But I don't think there's any Minimate, personally, released before wave 20 or so that hasn't been improved when redone. The designers are just much better now.

I only really have two to add and they were perfect to begin with but could use an update anyway.

1. Carnage, after seeing the through the ages Venom I want a Carnage with tentacles sticking out all over as well.

2. Modular Armor Iron Man. Yeah I know the through the ages was spot on, and yeah it's another Iron Man but since we're going to be getting them anyway, I'd still like to see this one redone and actually have lots of additional modular parts included with him.

2. Modular Armor Iron Man. Yeah I know the through the ages was spot on, and yeah it's another Iron Man but since we're going to be getting them anyway, I'd still like to see this one redone and actually have lots of additional modular parts included with him.

I was just thinking today of this armor being a likely candidate for a redo. I wouldn't mind having a sculpted helmet instead of the tampoed one from TTA. The new gauntlets coming with Heroes Reborn IM (wave 45) looks like they'd be a good fit here.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the MvC one coming out soon; I think he looked great in the Toy Fare pictures, but I'm not sure I like the oversize gauntlets and boots. I can see myself subbing out an older Doom's arms and legs for those. Personally, I think the FA Doom is the best one, but he's hardly the most iconic.

Same. I'll be substituting classic Doom arms/legs. The issue I have is that damn cape. Sure, it LOOKS awesome, but the shoulders incapacitate the articulation. Dude'll be like a T-Rex. I'll have to see if one of my buddies that make custom adjustments on here will do me a solid and fix it.

When the Invaders set came out, I thought it was a perfect Cap, and couldn't really see us getting a better one, but that simply isn't the case. The Classic Heroic and wave 42 versions are both big improvements, beautifully sculpted cut-outs masks and all.

That's my Cap-base opinion, anyway... I'm sure some folk agree.

I suppose that, for every 're-do' that is hugely superior to previous releases, they'll be a few people who think there was no need as the last version nailed it (in this case), or at least came near enough.

S'all opinions and what not, no one is right, and no one is wrong... except, perhaps, hellpop :tongue:

Edited by dj87

I would not go as far as 'every', but will go with some. Enough certainly that the opinion is warrented and viewing a redo with a certain amount of dread is valid.

Probably the most frustrating boxed set I ever bought. The three redos in that set should have been improvements, the designs and prototype models all looked good. And yet. Somewhere things went horribly wrong in production. Transparent flesh tampos, tentacles that required madification to fit, and lemon yellow wings on the only new character. I think half of us bought the set on the hopes that we would get one of the mythical sets Chuck claimed to have that had no problems at all. (Not calling Chuck a liar, but so far his is the only set to make the claim of being completely correct, none were ever reported in the 'wild'.) It should have been great. It wasn't.

Ghost Rider (Modern)

Black Cat

Cyclops - Blue uniform from Death of the Phoenix storyline

Dark Phoenix

Chameleon

The Leader - newer outfit, include both classic head and brainy head

Nick Fury - 616 version

Mary Jane & Gwen Stacy

Absorbing Man

Wasp - different outfit

GSXM Nightcrawler - still think he can be improved

Hydro-Man

Lizard - NEEDS a snout!

Bruce Banner from Wave 1! (616, not movie version)

And

Doctor Strange. Just give him a hand-held accessory and rerelease that wonderful minimate in all his glory!

I waited forever to get Spidey Friends and Foes, in large part because I simply didn't want to reward DST for. . .that, even though I desperately wanted Vulture and updated (albeit a bit cheap looking and tentacle issue-laden) Doc Ock. So move forward a year or two and I finally picked one up. And frankly, I was really pleasantly surprised. Spidey and Black Cat were garbage with no redeeming qualities, but I thought Vulture was very nice (barring the yellow wings that I could ignore), and Doc Ock's tentacle problem was easily fixed with a few minutes of hair dryer treatment. Now both proudly hang out with the rest of Spidey's rogue's gallery, and V1 Doc Ock is relegated to the bottom of my box-o-Minimates, as he just doesn't cut it anymore.

So, that set was a mix of the good with the bad, though Rob's point is well taken. Nowadays things seem extremely hit-or-miss with QC, so I'm still a bit wary whenever a new release comes out.

Edited by karamazov80

Would you really condemn Black Cat as unredeemable garbage? Granted, the chest tampo color was a major eff-up. But the rest of the piece was pretty darn good, IMO. New hair, furry collar, and I always like when DST uses the super glossy black paint on characters with vinyl bodysuits. She's still my display Cat despite the fact I cringe when I look at her chest...

I don't have a problem with that Black Cat, myself. The chest doesn't bother me as much as it does most people. And I love the hairpiece, the face, and those little furry hand bits. I think she's fine the way she is.

That set's not perfect, but I agree with Karamozov, it's far from the disaster most people make it out to be. Save for Spidey, of course. *shudder*

Would you really condemn Black Cat as unredeemable garbage?

Mmmmm, yes. :lol: If I had some customization skills, I'm sure I wouldn't feel that way because of all the nifty sculpted pieces, but I don't. Chest piece completely ruins it for me.

Same. I'll be substituting classic Doom arms/legs. The issue I have is that damn cape. Sure, it LOOKS awesome, but the shoulders incapacitate the articulation. Dude'll be like a T-Rex. I'll have to see if one of my buddies that make custom adjustments on here will do me a solid and fix it.

This is part of my problem too - but i also feel the hood is a big too closed on the MVC3 one as well. Ideally, if i were a customiser with any skill, i'd sculpt his big brass buckles/rivets and chain onto a MoonKnight cowl & paint it green.

I think Black Cat was a huge letdown from the Friends and Foes set, that one could have been awesome if not for the QC.

Didn't someone say that the reason Carnage hasn't been revisited is because the cost of tampos are actually pretty high, and since he requires them on every side of his body, he'd be really expensive to do?

Please don't quote me, but i think Rob speculated that this was the case, and Zach ot Chuck confirmed, that scuplting new parts was niw signiticantly cheaper all round.

If DST want to release a new, lackluster carnage, that just happens to come with a load of new accessories that match the original, I certainly wont be complaining.

I think it's the other way 'round: Chuck said at a panel (maybe at the con in Chicago?) that tampos are more expensive then people realize, and that this is why they sometimes cut corners on things like Spidey's webs going all the way around his arms and legs. Rob then speculated that we'd never see Carnage again, or that if we did, he wouldn't have the same amount of paint apps because of the cost. But I don't think anyone from DST has ever said "we'll never do Carnage again because he's too expensive now".

Carnage may be the one figure that holds up perfectly next to his latter day brothers. I don't think a redo of him is necessary, not only because of the quality of the figure, but because the character isn't exactly a major player any more (I'm a little behind on ASM right now, but has Carnage even appeared in, like, a decade?). Though, on the other hand, I realize that he is popular, the figure's hard to find these days, and DST could really do something dynamite with him now. So, yeah, he probably does fit the criteria of deserving a redo. Just don't expect him to be slathered in paint.

I think it's the other way 'round: Chuck said at a panel (maybe at the con in Chicago?) that tampos are more expensive then people realize, and that this is why they sometimes cut corners on things like Spidey's webs going all the way around his arms and legs. Rob then speculated that we'd never see Carnage again, or that if we did, he wouldn't have the same amount of paint apps because of the cost. But I don't think anyone from DST has ever said "we'll never do Carnage again because he's too expensive now".

Carnage may be the one figure that holds up perfectly next to his latter day brothers. I don't think a redo of him is necessary, not only because of the quality of the figure, but because the character isn't exactly a major player any more (I'm a little behind on ASM right now, but has Carnage even appeared in, like, a decade?). Though, on the other hand, I realize that he is popular, the figure's hard to find these days, and DST could really do something dynamite with him now. So, yeah, he probably does fit the criteria of deserving a redo. Just don't expect him to be slathered in paint.

He had like two miniseries that brought Cletus Cassidy back and now he currently has Carnage USA. Because for some reason, he's still relevant...

I love Carnage, I really do. He's terrifying when written well. I certainly wouldnt mind finally having him in collection. That said, a rerelease with a brighter red and C3 feet, as well as tons of tendrils and murdery weapons is more than welcome. But, yes, Chuck and Zach have stated that tampos do outweigh the cost of sculpts severely, and I'd rather have no Carnage than a crappy Carnage.

My biggest problem with the original Carnage, and one I've never been able to fix myself because of the tampo is the feet. Him & Rhino have had to utilize poster tack while pretty much everyone else has been able to peg onto something.

One thing I don't want, as cool as tendrils would be, is a big chest. I've always known Carnage as being pretty skinny, especially compared to Venom (TTA is gonna yield the perfect Venom & I am so excited!!! :D).

Why is it the other way around? That is what Valo and I said.

DST said tampos were v.expensive. I think Carnage gets brought up everytime tampos do, and vice versa.

Just that the tampos thing came up first, and then speculation ran to how this would effect a new Carnage, rather then Carnage being shot down as a redo because tampos are expensive. It's just a chicken/egg thing, no offense meant. But I do think it's important to note that (unless I missed it somewhere, that is :)) no one from DST has commented about Carnage being unlikely because of cost. It's all been speculation on our part.