UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The ship that irony sank

TM2 Dinobot

I don't know where the Essex is...confused.gif

The Essex is at the bottom of the Pacific. They were a whaling ship that was sunk by a whale. They were afraid of cannibals and ended up eating one another. They left port the heroes of Nantucket and were shunned and forgotten upon their return. They longed to be remembered and were forgotten for the better part of a century. Irony clung to them like a wet sail, dragging them into the depths of history to suffer a watery fate.

We'll talk about it next weekend. And I do mean talk. Not threaten or cajole or belittle or fight, but have an honest discussion as men. Because the way you are treating me is unreasonable and it will stop.

As to the Essex, I first heard about it on American Experience, and was utterly captivated by it. The program was an hour too long, but worth the watch if you just have it on it the background. They were doing some Herman Melville tribute (it was his birthday or something) and I was never a Moby Dick fan. But the history of American Whaling is long and fascinating. Give it a read. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/biography/whaling-melville/

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

We'll talk about it next weekend. And I do mean talk. Not threaten or cajole or belittle or fight, but have an honest discussion as men. Because the way you are treating me is unreasonable and it will stop.

Me? TM2, you are welcome to leave and not come back at ANY time. You have a complaint for me?

He is meeting somebody this next weekend, but it is not me. I'm doing Easter with my family. bunny.gif Besides, I can ban him and you can still meet him. I don't run C2E2 (yet). ninja.gif

The most interesting part to me was that the two sailors who decided to stay on the island none of them expected them to live. But they were picked up by a ship a few months later, sick of seafood but none the worse for wear. The rest of the crew however, that thought they'd make it to Chile in a few weeks, only 2 of the 3 life boats arrived, one only days before their abandoned islanders were picked up.

For centuries scientists thought that the South Pacific people must have come from Asia by way of Africa and Europe. Because that is the descending order of humanity. After all, white people are superior in every way in the 1700's, right? No one could ever have come from South America because they are just the lowest rung in humanity. It wasn't until the Kon-Tiki voyage in 1947 that proved islanders came from South America, not Asia. The tradewinds and currents flow east-west.

If the crew of the Essex had had this information, they probably would have all made it. Instead, out of fear they went against the current, and weeks stretched into months.