UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Best and Worst Minimates of 2011

Why do I feel like I'm on the sh!t list again.

@ Zach: Just know the Worst categories have been aound for a long time. Well before you hooked up with DST. No disrespect is meant by them (to you or DST). Again, just a fun way to promote the minimates that didn't float everybody's boat. I apologize for suggesting that any of the worst votes may make their way to the higher ups at DST. Hopeful thinking on the part of a few of us here I guess.

You're not on any list, other than "really talented Minimate photographers." (It's a short list.) I know the Worst categories have been around for a while. (Although, to be fair, EVERYTHING has been around since before I hooked up with DST. It's been 9 months!) I was simply lamenting my inability to recognize them officially. They'd be a great PR item for Minimates. I know no disrespect is meant, but it's half celebratory, half critical, and the critical part makes them something I don't want to pass around to the general public. ("Hey, look at our toys! They were recently named 'Worst'!")

And there's nothing to apologize for. You hoped that us seeing the Worst Accessory award might encourage us never to use that Wolverine mask again. I understand that. I was just surprised to hear you say it, since I thought these were ONLY for the board members. I would never ask you to change something you do for the board members, but if something was being done for our benefit, I wanted to suggest an alternative.

Sorry to bring the room down. For a long time, I really did intend to stay out of this thread, because it wasn't for me or DST. But I REALLY wanted to read the strip. Not even see the results, really, just read the strip.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys all sound like you're in an argument that you're not quite sure how it started. :) Unlax, y'all. Unlaxxxxxxxx.

As long as this poll (and this forum) are separate from DST, then we ABSOLUTELY should keep the worst of categories. They're fun. I understand Zach's perspective, and if DST wants to somehow sponsor this contest next year, then that's different. Say, a free Minimate for participants? I'll give up the worst ofs for a free Minimate. :yes:

As far as the worst ofs this year go, it's pretty clear to me that all were chosen for aesthetic reasons. Beak nose Wolverine won because... he's got a beak nose. The Iron Fist/Hand Ninja gloves were a great idea, but they didn't work in execution, because they look far too big on the arm (it looks like Iron Fist wrapped about a mile of gauze around each wrist). I appreciate when you guys include sculpted pieces instead of tampos on the arms and legs for 'mates, but in this case a tampo would have worked better for the figure. I don't know what people didn't like about the web line; I didn't vote for that one.

If you look back over the worst ofs, I think you'll see that most of them fall into three categories: aesthetic failures (in our eyes, of course); serious production errors; and battle-damaged figures. I think it's safe to say most of us don't like battle-damaged figures. :)