UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Character Building - Doctor Who

Aethyr

I also only managed to get ONE Pandorica Amy today from 5(!) sainsburys it would appear they both got less of todays and also started handing em out yesturday when they ran out of Daleks so sadly I cannot help ANYONE with those.

That's me stuffed then :( Can't get to Sainsburys until later tonight!

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll be heading to that "proper" sainsburys nearish yours though I'd imagine?

I had to make do with those weird Sainsburys Local things

Ah I see, we have the Tesco version here. Had a nightmare Saturday trying to get the Doctor figure. No Sainsbury's in Norfolk got any of the Doctor figure, so I ended up having to do a 16 mile round trip to the 'local' TRU. That was a joy. Mind you while I was there I did pick up a couple of handfuls of the blind bags too. Got so many doubles that the boy ended up with his own collection! :D He very happy!

I got my set of 10 Character Doc Who figures today & the first thing that struck me was that "I have to build these" which wasn't as simple as it might at first appear especially when the seller had just dumped all the various parts of the characters willy-nilly into a rather neat little box! I built the other two Lego-type sets & I guess I did the same with them but d'yaknowhat I'm damned if I remember doing so :rolleyes: They're rather cute , well-made & an average kid would have some bother breaking them too quickly although as I said in another post this wouldn't be the case with the Tardis etc.

I've been really pissed off with the fact that these aren't Minimates & I think it has affected my rather puerile opinions of them in previous posts.....OK they're OK & I'll be buying them,less grudgingly, now.

When I was a kid .....a proper kid,a young kid ....I had some Rolykin daleks which were similar scale & were unique in the fact that they had a ball-bearing inside them ...the dalek variants remind me of those for obvious reasons & I have to say that daleks still 'do it' for me & that is why I've jumped onboard just for a while :whistling:

What these figures have done however is to stimulate interest in mini-figures in the UK & I wouldn't be surprised if they don't kick-start some adult interest in them over here as well......it's been a long time coming .

Forgive me for saying however that if these weren't Doctor Who related then I'd be as interested in them as much as I'm interested in alcohol-free beer.

OK OK I've got the message (insert relevant emoticon)

So I gave the customer services email address a blast yesterday & gave the poor sods' some serious rocks about how 'my little boy Tommy' was dreadfully upset that he couldn't get his little toys because the nasty men at Sadburys/TwatsRUs had no stocks left. I announced that I would be cancelling my Daily Mirror newspaper despite being a regular for 10 years & ...........

.....they swallowed it,hook ,line & sinker :lol:

They emailed me back today to say that if I sent my coupons to them they'd send me the figures :thumbsup:

Little Tommy is very happy.

Went to my local Tesco today and they had loads of the constructions sets and about 100 blind packs. 

I know next to nothing about Doctor Who, I've seen a few episodes like the Xmas specials and things, but these figures are nice and the kids I know seem to like them.

However, I've got to say that £10 for a construction set that comes with just one figure is really steep! Should be half that in my opinion, especially seeing that, other than the TARDIS, the sets seem so generic.

From what i can tell, one is just rocks, the other is a laboratory. I'm guessing that they're compatible with Lego, so kids can build around them and make them bigger, but they might get bored with a huge space station and just one Dalek...

That's a reasonable price for those ,I haven't seen anybody but Forbidden Planet selling them here .

I got my ship notice from FP today for the 'Angels' set today so I should get them tomorrow.

For the record ,the hype surrounding the freebies is ebbing away now & there are masses of them on ebay(UK).

I think I'll be okay if I don't get these.

That's okay Dinobot, you stick to your MLP and I will stick to these :thumbsup:

@luke314pi

I preordered/purchased a case from ForbiddenPlanet and it arrived yesterday.

Here is my case breakdown:

9x 11th Doctor (Red Shirt)

5x Red Dalek

4x Amy Pond

4x Cyberman

4x Weeping Angel (Screaming)

3x Blue Dalek

3x Silurian

2x Smiler

1x 11th Doctor (Blue Shirt, no jacket)

1x Weeping Angel (Serene)

I never noticed before that the Serene Weeping Angel has cracks painted on it. It is a very nice touch to make it a little more unique.

No Super Rare I am sad to say :confused:

I preordered/purchased a case from ForbiddenPlanet and it arrived yesterday.

Here is my case breakdown:

9x 11th Doctor (Red Shirt)

5x Red Dalek

4x Amy Pond

4x Cyberman

4x Weeping Angel (Screaming)

3x Blue Dalek

3x Silurian

2x Smiler

1x 11th Doctor (Blue Shirt, no jacket)

1x Weeping Angel (Serene)

I never noticed before that the Serene Weeping Angel has cracks painted on it. It is a very nice touch to make it a little more unique.

Thanks for the info! Yikes that is a lot of the Doctor. I think I will hold out for the army builder 5-packs. Hopefully these keep selling so they will make those.

I'm surprised that nothing has shown on ebay yet. I received the Angels set today ....anybody else got theirs?

I know exactly what you mean. most reports of having one I have seen lack a picture.

These truly are super rare :(

Edited by pickle

Well I've now got all 3 sets and the entire first wave except a Serene Angel... if anyone has a spare, drop me a line!

Got to say I am so impressed with these figures its untrue, considering my spawn has destroyed hundreds of minimates none of these figures have fallen apart or anything yet....

Popular License + Well made figures + Army Builders + Decent price point + Stands = Win

thanks for the case breakdown. On the little checklist sheet that accompanies the figs the little box is colour coded to indicate rarity (red, yellow n' green).

these little guys are great fun, plus its very easily to detect a Dalek in the packs, cheers numerous bobbles!

Character Building: TARDIS

Now is this how much this thing actually is or have they inflated the price some because this seems QUITE a lot for such a small set.

To buy it from the UK puts it at around $15.99 USD before import shipping costs. Not bad if you can order it at your LCS for $19.99. When you compare the price on most Underground Toys Doctor Who figures/boxed sets, they always seem way overpriced for what you get.

post-638-0-17029900-1306422577_thumb.jpg

These were the items that were unique to the recent newspaper promotion for Doctor Who they include the 3 unique Doctor Who Character Options figures ,a large colour poster,2 cardboard masks & a cardboard Tardis.

I've just managed to get some stocks of these ....anybody interested?

According to the June Previews:

PAGE 415

FI JUN11 1939 DOCTOR WHO CHAR BUILDING TARDIS MINI SET (C: 1-1-4) 09/28/11 SRP: $31.99 = $

FI JUN11 1940 DOCTOR WHO CHAR BUILDING DALEK PROG ROOM MINI SET (C: 1-1-4) 09/28/11 SRP: $24.99 = $

FI JUN11 1941 DOCTOR WHO CHAR BUILDING TIME OF ANGELS MINI SET (C: 1-1-4) 10/26/11 SRP: $24.99 = $

:jawdrop:

That is a lot for these sets. Looks like I was way off about my comic shop comment.

Edited by pickle

According to the June Previews:

PAGE 415

FI JUN11 1939 DOCTOR WHO CHAR BUILDING TARDIS MINI SET (C: 1-1-4) 09/28/11 SRP: $31.99 = $

FI JUN11 1940 DOCTOR WHO CHAR BUILDING DALEK PROG ROOM MINI SET (C: 1-1-4) 09/28/11 SRP: $24.99 = $

FI JUN11 1941 DOCTOR WHO CHAR BUILDING TIME OF ANGELS MINI SET (C: 1-1-4) 10/26/11 SRP: $24.99 = $

:jawdrop:

That is a lot for these sets. Looks like I was way off about my comic shop comment.

wow this pretty much blows any chance of me getting the Tardis and Dalek sets....

Jeff of the Miniacs