UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Secret Wars (III?)

Lobsterman

So, since announcing Hickman's Secret Wars story for next summer, Marvel has also teased slightly tweaked imagery for Civil War, House of M, Armor Wars, Days of Future Past, and now Infinity Gauntlet.

I'm starting to wonder if all of the timeline wrecking stories over the past couple years are leading up to a big DC-style hard reboot of the MU, so they can retell all of the major events from the past couple decades and bring all of the characters and editorial more in line with the movie universe.

Edited by Lobsterman

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to wonder if all of the timeline wrecking stories over the past couple years are leading up to a big DC-style hard reboot of the MU, so they can retell all of the major events from the past couple decades and bring all of the characters and editorial more in line with the movie universe.

If so, then

u9lZxcU.gif

So, since announcing Hickman's Secret Wars story for next summer, Marvel has also teased slightly tweaked imagery for Civil War, House of M, Armor Wars, Days of Future Past, and now Infinity Gauntlet.

Honestly that seems like the most rational way for Marvel to do a line-wide reboot. Keep all the events, just change the details to make them more modern. Rational, but incredibly stupid.

Let's just hope this is another effort from Marvel to break the internet and it ends up being a purely superficial event that gets forgotten after 6 months.

That said, I would be really interested to see how they would redo Fear Itself. That storyline had nothing but promise and ended up being one of the worst things ever.

I don't even... These don't need to be redone. None of those need to be redone. At all. Now, if Marvel wants to issue something like Absolute Hardcovers of these events with some tie-ins, revisiting, bonus items, etc, that'd be ok (although it's pretty clearly not what they're doing).

Edited by Turtle

I don't think people have gotten the point (generally speaking, as I see lots of folk swearing and cursing on various comic forums about how Marvel is out of ideas and all that). They aren't re-doing them. Secret Wars will run for all of 2015 and it'll feature a lot of fights between the different universes. These teasers just show other universes where things went a bit different. They're just trying to hype it, that's all.

Edited by Kostisfire

Aaaaaaand now Age of Apocalypse....

age-of-apocalypse-2015-110690.jpg

Hmmmm - if this means a chance at AoA Storm, Colossus, Bishop, Quicksilver, Nightcrawler, Gambit, Iceman etc.... then bring it on!

But if it means more watered down AoA nonsense that sullies the joy of the original event, then shut it down.

I suspect it will be more of the latter than the former :/

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/marvel-teases-x-men-92-from-the-animated-series/1100-150285/

I… don't know how to feel about this. On one hand, I know it represents a very important, nostalgic and beloved era in X-men history for a lot of people. On the other hand, I've grown to view that era, for comics in general, as having engaged in some of the worst excesses of promotional marketing (hologram covers, trading cards, complete control of the content by essentially poster artists) at the expense of good writing.

It's like, the X-men cartoon was "good" because you loved it as a kid, but it wasn't actually good good. It was like eating frosting straight out of the can. The Jim Lee era was kind of like that, too.

You're right. The '90s were terrible.

The excess announcements are worrying me more than anything else at the moment. I was hoping that X-Men DOFP story with Art Adams would be a big event, but apparently it's not going to be anything special.

I'm nervous about the core event here.

All signs suggest a reboot, and I never really wanted that from Marvel. It's never quite worked for DC, and I don't see HOW this could pan out any better. If you cherry pick what you like most from the past fifty years and distill it into one continuity, someone will come along and introduce NEW alternate realities. If you split everything off and give every different take its own place in the multiverse, someone will come along and throw neighboring worlds into the blender together.

What DOES excite me are the tie-ins... revisiting these stories and worlds in light of this new event seems like a lot of fun to me.

Now, there IS one end result I could get behind... in 1963 we started reading about a marvel universe we've come to know as the 616. But... after all the time travel and alternate realities and whatnot... is that STILL the world were reading about? I say keep the current continuity going, but have our modern heroes discover the TRUE 616, populated with a Steve Rogers who never died, a Tony Stark who was never replaced by his teenage self, a married Spider-Man, and so forth. Give us a Marvel Earth-2 with classic iterations of our heroes to mirror the more modern deviations