UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel 'Best of ' wave

buttheadsmate

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post the picture, or I'll mail the giant box of stuff I have for you to Menagerie instead.

Incentive? :lol:

Can someone elaborate on menagerie, I assume you're all talking about the ebay seller?

What's the story there? I've never bought from him? But I assume there is a reason I've seen the seller mentioned many times throughout this site?

I'm a noob

Post the picture, or I'll mail the giant box of stuff I have for you to Menagerie instead.

Incentive? laugh.png

Can someone elaborate on menagerie, I assume you're all talking about the ebay seller?

What's the story there? I've never bought from him? But I assume there is a reason I've seen the seller mentioned many times throughout this site?

I'm a noob

He's expensive lol. That and he buys everything lmao.

Incentive? :lol:

I'm a noob

He's expensive lol. That and he buys everything lmao.

I don't get it though, when you say he buys everything? I guess that's what I am missing? Who does he buy it from?

Minimates Menagerie is a scalper. On more than one occasion, he's bought up a large chunk of TRU's online stock of exclusives, and then he turns around and charges a premium for them on his eBay store. Scalpers in general just suck, but Menagerie has a negative reputation here due to being the most prominent Minimate scalper.

Minimates Menagerie is a scalper. On more than one occasion, he's bought up a large chunk of TRU's online stock of exclusives, and then he turns around and charges a premium for them on his eBay store. Scalpers in general just suck, but Menagerie has a negative reputation here due to being the most prominent Minimate scalper.

Thank you, this makes perfect sense, and sums it up well.

I've always seen his ebay auctions, just didn't know his methods. Think I'll steer clear.

Thank you, this makes perfect sense, and sums it up well.

I've always seen his ebay auctions, just didn't know his methods. Think I'll steer clear.

I've had him outbid me on an auction for a set of minimates that he already had 2 of in stock on his store. I don't mind losing an auction to a collector, but to lose to someone who's going to turn around and sell it AND already has that same product for sale stinks. It's tactics like which turn a lot of people off from him.

If anybody is remotely interested.......my first rollerblades were purchased about 17 years ago which isn't that interesting unless you go-figure how old I was when I bought them .blink.png

Amongst the stuff I've found whilst shuffling around in my 'hoped for house-move' are my Bauer blades ....... for the right incentive I'll post a picture of me gliding on them . laugh.png

Edit : No historic pictures .........."I will glide" .

I just did the math......I think I got mine around 22 years ago ohmy.png (I get the feeling I was probably younger than you though :) )

If they did another wave of these this is whom I decided would be the best line up.

Namor - Green speedos, if they could include the bits for the black outfit that would be amazing but as this would require an entire second lower torso I can understand why it wouldn't happen.

Invisible Woman/Girl - Done as a translucent figure including 3 or 4 different hair pieces that could be used to represent Sue from different periods in FF history.

This could probably be the star of the wave as far as multiple purchases go because customisers love translucent figs and flesh body parts which this set would have in abandon

Black Panther - Done as Kirby drew him back in the day but include a civilian head, as well as gold wrist things and belt with a cape if you want to go modern

Human Torch - Basic translucent figure but with lots of flame accessories that can be attached to the body, keep the figure generic enough so it could be FF torch, Invaders torch or Toro

again a mostly black figure and a (red) translucent could appeal to customisers increasing multiple sales

Magneto - We have seen Magneto done well in the regular line so redone with a best of paint job should be a winner.

Wolverine - Brown and tan, almost the opposite to magneto we have seen this version of wolvie a few times in the regular line but each has fallen short for whatever reason so if they could nail it this would be a solid figure.

Isn't it the case that you can put the name Wolverine on any old thing and sales increase? also Magneto holds his on in public recognition so I'm sure they would do fine.

Captain Britain - Early Excalibur uniform, CB should be done as a bulky figure but with the same uniform on the under body to give the display option, as cap has been drawn pretty big at times.

Ghost Rider - Classic black leather chains and flaming skull look with maybe a couple of flame accessories.

Captain Britain actually has a fair few media appearances (Usually when something needs to be shown as a threat to the entire world, Brian will be looking concerned in front of Big Ben) also he may appeal to foreign markets, Ghost rider has had a couple of movies and has a very high visual appeal.

If they did another wave of these this is whom I decided would be the best line up.

Namor - Green speedos, if they could include the bits for the black outfit that would be amazing but as this would require an entire second lower torso I can understand why it wouldn't happen.

Invisible Woman/Girl - Done as a translucent figure including 3 or 4 different hair pieces that could be used to represent Sue from different periods in FF history.

This could probably be the star of the wave as far as multiple purchases go because customisers love translucent figs and flesh body parts which this set would have in abandon

Black Panther - Done as Kirby drew him back in the day but include a civilian head, as well as gold wrist things and belt with a cape if you want to go modern

Human Torch - Basic translucent figure but with lots of flame accessories that can be attached to the body, keep the figure generic enough so it could be FF torch, Invaders torch or Toro

again a mostly black figure and a (red) translucent could appeal to customisers increasing multiple sales

Magneto - We have seen Magneto done well in the regular line so redone with a best of paint job should be a winner.

Wolverine - Brown and tan, almost the opposite to magneto we have seen this version of wolvie a few times in the regular line but each has fallen short for whatever reason so if they could nail it this would be a solid figure.

Isn't it the case that you can put the name Wolverine on any old thing and sales increase? also Magneto holds his on in public recognition so I'm sure they would do fine.

Captain Britain - Early Excalibur uniform, CB should be done as a bulky figure but with the same uniform on the under body to give the display option, as cap has been drawn pretty big at times.

Ghost Rider - Classic black leather chains and flaming skull look with maybe a couple of flame accessories.

Captain Britain actually has a fair few media appearances (Usually when something needs to be shown as a threat to the entire world, Brian will be looking concerned in front of Big Ben) also he may appeal to foreign markets, Ghost rider has had a couple of movies and has a very high visual appeal.

Polar boy: I couldn't agree more with your choices, except cap Britain, I agree a nicely done cap b would be great, just don't think he's popular enough it fit into a best of wave.

If they put a black panther and ha or together for both looks, I would end up with three of those packs easily.

All around great choices

This is bloody brilliant and a wave I'd buy 100/10, but honestly, it's not happening. The FF are out (Chuck's said that many times in the recent AskDSTs) since Marvel has asked DST to stay away, Britain is far too unknown to be in such a wave and for some reason, GR just isn't "popular" enough to warrant a new release (but hey, Howard the Duck and Disco Dazzler are getting a 2-pack and these two are sooooo much more well-known, right?).

Edited by Kostisfire

This is bloody brilliant and a wave I'd buy 100/10, but honestly, it's not happening. The FF are out (Chuck's said that many times in the recent AskDSTs) since Marvel has asked DST to stay away, Britain is far too unknown to be in such a wave and for some reason, GR just isn't "popular" enough to warrant a new release (but hey, Howard the Duck and Disco Dazzler are getting a 2-pack and these two are sooooo much more well-known, right?).
Aren't you The one who asks for a MK update every time a wave, Boxset, exclusive that is announced. I'd say Howard and dazzler are much more well known than MK, Edited by JoeyCrypts

Based on what I've seen, Black Panther and the Inhumans are very likely candidates for another "Best of" assortment. Possibly even Jessica Jones if her Netflix show takes off the way Daredevil's did.

Agreed - anything that can tie in to what's being pushed by Marvel will probably do quite well. That's how we ended up with the Iron Fist / Power Man two-pack, right? Their involvement with the Spider-Man animated show boosted their 'visibility'

Hopefully the upcoming appearance of Black Panther and the Inhumans in the MCU will mean increased appearances in comics and other media leading up to their MCU debuts, which will allow for minimates to be made.

Leaving out Xmen and FF because of the whole feud....

Daredevil yellow and Elektra Black (wave 1 tribute and ties into daredevil having a show now)

Black suit spidey (with symbiote pieces a la deadly foes carnage) and Falcon (classic duds)

Black Panther (coming into MCU now) and Wasp (hope is in ant man movie, could really use an update)

Vision (classic look) and Iron Man Stealth (blue suit)

I could see Elektra / Wasp being a stretch because both haven't been seen in MCU yet in costume , and since they are female characters and DST doesn't seem to put those in Best of waves.....

So I could also see them being swapped out for another Hulk/Thor/Cap

I know this is just people throwing ideas around, but keep in mind that Chuck has said in Ask DST that a FOURTH Best-of Wave is not planned, and (I believe) unlikely, given that the first three were each designed to provide retailers with a selection of mainstream characters to supplement regular assortments.

Not that characters like Vision and Widow aren't getting more popular now, but the question is whether retailers need more of them beyond what is in a regular assortment.

To be honest, that's actually fine by me. While the Best Of waves have provided some beautiful figures, i'd be happy to see DSTs efforts put towards waves with new characters or previously unreleased looks.

I actually think that's why 3 was so popular here: figures that the long term fans wanted were mixed in (like bulked up Grey Hulk and Thuderbolts Power Man).

I know this is just people throwing ideas around, but keep in mind that Chuck has said in Ask DST that a FOURTH Best-of Wave is not planned, and (I believe) unlikely, given that the first three were each designed to provide retailers with a selection of mainstream characters to supplement regular assortments.

Not that characters like Vision and Widow aren't getting more popular now, but the question is whether retailers need more of them beyond what is in a regular assortment.

Just out of curiosity do think the best of waves were successful in a way that was different to a regular wave (if that makes sense).

Actually I wonder where Namor stands in relation to the current Fantastic Four embargo.

His movie rights aren't tied up at Fox. I believe they're with a third party that had a first-look agreement with Universal so it may be more like The Incredible Hulk; Marvel could handle the creative end while Universal distributes. But with a third party, that gets complicated.

And yes, "Best of" is for evergreen characters. The more popular a character becomes (due to movies, TV, games, et al) the more likely they are to be included in a future assortment. All you have to do is look at Marvel's upcoming slate to see who's going to be getting some attention.

That said, there's also the possibility that a fourth assortment could simply shuffle existing figures around based on retailer demand. Again, looking at who's getting pushed by Disney, the fourth assortment could be a mix of the first three:

Power Man & Iron Fist

Punisher & Daredevil

Iron Man & Captain America

Spider-Man & Green Hulk

Another thought: Take out the Fox characters (Thing, Mr. Fantastic, Doctor Doom, Wolverine, Deadpool, and Sabretooth) and you've got room to push Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Dr. Strange, and maybe some Inhumans or members of Guardians of the Galaxy.