UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Post SDCC Chat with DST Chuck on Thursday August 4th!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I left at around the time night viper finished his question,did anyone ask about the zombie 2 pack?

It was asked, but Chuck kind of denied it & they mentioned that AFX will have a four pack at NYCC. Someone else around here did mentioned how Toy Fair will debut a zombie 2-pack that he won't be able to order for his store.

Well we know Kang will not be coming with his chair, that Pat @ AFX beats people up for fun, and that I didn't choke this time though once I realized we'd only get one question I wish I'd picked on of my other ones, but no one has the "question regret" more than our resident Bronie.

We also learned that cully has an unhealthy fascination with Aunt May and thet Nessex's finger has been stuck in something for awhile (which keeps him from doing custom work). Very informative evening.

Edited by groundhog7s

It was asked, but Chuck kind of denied it & they mentioned that AFX will have a four pack at NYCC. Someone else around here did mentioned how Toy Fair will debut a zombie 2-pack that he won't be able to order for his store.

Very interesting. I should have asked if they had any more original lines in the works to pump them for more details.

Well we know ... that Pat @ AFX beats people up for fun...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he spends his nights fighting in the UFC. But seriously, he's a big teddy bear if you ever talk with him. And I'm not just saying that because I don't want him to beat me up. :ermm:

To me, these things are more about "planting a seed" in the mind of someone important more than actually trying to get information. Even if they never thought about Nighthawk before last night, they have now! And that's half the battle :highfive2:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he spends his nights fighting in the UFC. But seriously, he's a big teddy bear if you ever talk with him. And I'm not just saying that because I don't want him to beat me up. :ermm:

I believe it was described as amateur MMA. Amateur as in he doesn't get paid, he does it for fun. Hence he literally beats people up for fun. Sounds like a very dangerous teddy bear if you ask me.:blink:

I believe it was described as amateur MMA. Amateur as in he doesn't get paid, he does it for fun. Hence he literally beats people up for fun. Sounds like a very dangerous teddy bear if you ask me.:blink:

I wasn't part of the chat but I'm definitely not surprised about his MMA background.

If he messes with you he messes with me <_<

And yeah, don't mind BHM in the corner with Pat. They're just play fighting. :teehee:

We spent yesterday in the hospital, as my younger son had the croup cough, so I wasn't able to get the questions posted. He is fine now, but it was not a fun day! Here are the questions from the chat:

luke314pi

Alright, let's get this party started! We will be going in alphabetical order, one question per person, and then we will start over until time runs out.

luke314pi

Boyd is up first!

boyd

Zach, which Marvel character is your favorite, and can we expect to see a lot more Minimates of him/her in the future?

Zach Oat

Well, that would be Iron Man, so I'm going to say yes. EASY. First appearance hits, what, next month?

Zach Oat

This month?

DSTchuck

Not Spider-Man?

Zach Oat

I also like Spider-Man.

Zach Oat

And we have some fun ones coming up.

DSTchuck

Your job is now safe.

luke314pi

Lots of good armors to choose from! Brad?

Brad

Has the Halo Minimates line been succesful enough to warrant more specific characters like "the Rookie" and vehicles like Mongooses or vehicles for the covenant like a ghost?

Zach Oat

I'll let Chuck field that one.

DSTchuck

Believe it or not we have not shipped that much Halo stuff yet. But yes its doing pretty well and we're working on more vehicles right now.

Brad

Other than the Scorpion ?

DSTchuck

Brad - yes.

Brad

AWESOME!!!! Thanks!

luke314pi

cully - batter up!

cully

would you consider making aunt may and uncle ben minimates?

cully

so i can finish my spider man collection

Zach Oat

Chuck, wanna field that?

DSTchuck

Yes - we've come close a couple times. Your Spidey collection will not be complete as long as I am here.

luke314pi

darkredshadow - the world is your oyster!

darkredshdow

The battle beast playset failed to really see the light of day,any plans for any other types of playsets,or any fun ideas you'd like to do?

DSTchuck

Zach? help...no I can't do that to you. I think we'll try again for a playset and soon hopefully.

luke314pi

Dio - strike while the fire is hot!

Zach Oat

I would love to see them, myself, in any form. But playsets are tough.

Dio

If/when you make Kang, will he come with his chair?

DSTchuck

No chair

luke314pi

drgrbrn - time to kill two DST birds with one stone!

drgnrbrn316

With Halo, Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom, Ghost Busters, Uncharted, Resistance, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, and Alice Minimates previously or currently available, are you guys a video game company yet?

Zach Oat

I've been meaning to ask Chuck that.

DSTchuck

Nope. SF was years ago, GB is a movie and Halo as we said was a game changer...I think we looks at MvC3 in the same way since it had Marvel in it. We're not going to run from VG properties BUT as I've said its VERY hard to sign a property for just MM.

luke314pi

grannyhog - hit 'em with your best shot!

groundhog7s

First off, I love the different banks you've made. They're awesome and really the perfect price point. What are the chances of an over-sized, unarticulated Rotocast Minimate blank bank ever being made (I think I covered all the bases with the description)? It could have a general Minimate logo on it or could be marketed to different companies for their logos. And it would lend to multiple sales since it could be customized. Any chance?

DSTchuck

IF we did a bank that big it would have to be generic blank or a DST created property so not sure there would be big demand. Zach what do you think?

groundhog7s

I guess I meant a generic bank.

Zach Oat

I think it would look awesome. You're the expert on sales.

Zach Oat

A Calico Jack bank?

DSTchuck

I doubt we could see 3K blanks.

luke314pi

ok - Hail Ivan!

Ivan

Regarding the MAX stop-motion animation, was that done in-house or did you contract it out? Any plans to go into 3D?

DSTchuck

ZAch...

Zach Oat

We contracted it out. I don't think we have any plans to do 3D. The next one won;t be.

Zach Oat

It's being developed now. Pirate Raiders. It will smell like pirates.

luke314pi

Karamazov - (insert witty phrase here)!

karamazov80

Well, GH stole my question, so. . .let me reiterate that the giant Minimate bank would be awesome. I didn't really have any other questions, but. . .how about that Nighthawk/Hellcat 2-pack? The masses demand it.

DSTchuck

Not in the plans at the moment - sorry

lastweaponm...

Any plans/chance to make a minimate of the Master of Kung Fu, Shang Chi? Long overdue. Or his father Fu Manchu? Thanks.

luke314pi

lastweaponmaster - throw down the gauntlet!

DSTchuck

Maybe a master some day that's one I'd like to see.

Zach Oat

We never made a Shang Chi?

DSTchuck

Nope not yet!

luke314pi

Ldroome - you're up!

LDroome

Given that Green Goblin will have a glider in an upcoming wave, was there a change in a licensing stipulation?

DSTchuck

We've had about 6 Marvel contracts since we started with them. That's one reason we never say never.

luke314pi

Lobsterman - pick their brains!

Lobsterman

Have you explored the idea of a monthly Minimates subscription club, like what Mattel's doing with He-Man?

Zach Oat

(visions of giant claws prying open our skulls in a horrible reversal of roles)

DSTchuck

No time for something like that or the staff,but Zach is looking at lots of what we do with marketing from the bottom up.

luke314pi

I am curious how Morg made it into the Heralds set, as he seemed to be last in the TRU poll. Does this mean we might see the other 2 as a 2-pack? (I hope I hope I hope...)

DSTchuck

I think sometimes the folks that go to TRU are not the same as our site. YES there is a good chance they will end up in a two pack down the road.

luke314pi

Thanks! Lurch, your time is at hand!

Lurch77

How has sales been going with TRU? Do they seem pleased with how minimates are selling? hopefully meaning they will continue wanting more

DSTchuck

They are doing pretty well and we're getting ready to show them the 2012 line next month.

luke314pi

Mirymate - you have been summoned!

Mirymate

There have been a lot of ?improved? figures released of late; taking full advantage of everything you?ve learned. Looking back over 54 Marvel waves, which figures do you guys think deserve an update? (Not asking for future plans, I?m just looking for your opinions)

DSTchuck

Zach?

Zach Oat

I wouldn't mind seeing a new Kingpin.

luke314pi

MsMarvel fan ROUND 1 FIGHT!

MsMarvel fan

With the upcoming MAX Law Enforcement set, will both cops have tampos under the armor or is it a straight re-release? any chance of a motorcycle cop and a motorcycle for the max line? thanks.

DSTchuck

I think we want tampo under there and I don't see a motorcycle cop anytime soon of the line.

luke314pi

Mystery Man - stick it to 'em!

Mystery Man

Are there plans for a Marvel Series 50 Fan Choice Wave? A chance to reward fans with some of the characters they've been asking for for years? Y'know, Falcon, Kang, Banshee, Toad, Morbius, Black Knight, the Wrecker, etc?

DSTchuck

No plans for a fan choice series sorry. I've gone over our concerns with that in the past.

luke314pi

minijeff - thy time has come!

minijeff

PIrates - I am loving what I am seeing so far, do you guys have the next wave in mind already ?

DSTchuck

Getting lots of of preasure from Zach and Robert to nail it down but I can't seem to lock down what I wan to do.

Zach Oat

But the animation will be awesome.

luke314pi

mermaids

luke314pi

Nessex - release the Kraken!

Zach Oat

There's an idea.

Nessex

Hey guys, Thanks again for taking some time with us today. Minimates are fast approaching their 50th wave. It's a pretty darn big milestone. A few board members have bandied about ideas like a fans choice wave or a team completionist wave. Fans-choice wave aside, Do you guys have any special plans or ideas in the works to mark to occasion?

DSTchuck

Zach do we?

Zach Oat

It'll be the 10th anniversary of Minimates.

Zach Oat

We've talked about some stuff. I haven't pitched Chuck on special product, though.

luke314pi

NightViper - let the horse out of the stable!

NightViper

What kind of hurdles are slowing down the Battle Beast Minimates? Is their any projected time tables for when they'll hit the finish line?

DSTchuck

We're not ready to do a BB line and you only get one chance to do something right.

luke314pi

murderofcrows - time to pop the question!

murderofcrows

First of all I really want to say what a great job Zach is doing with FB, I love having minimate info so often thanks !

murderofcrows

on to the question, as we are all Raviing Maniacs, and there has been rumor of 2 new box sets coming out for NYCC any way you can drop a hint as to who may be in one of them?

DSTchuck

I don't think that's correct - is it Zach one 4 pk at AFX, right?

Zach Oat

I know about tht one, yes.

Zach Oat

the 4-pack.

Zach Oat

I wouldn;t feel comfortable talking abotu it without Pat present.

luke314pi

Punisher - put the screws to 'em!

DSTchuck

Zach is right

Punisher

Have you guys ever put thought of making minimates available in different formats besides 2-pack, boxed set, or army dump? For example, a "battle pack" featuring a good guy, bad guy and a few goons? This would sell great to kids and would be a good chance for collectors to get more army builders as well. Or maybe a "deluxe" set that features one character plus a certain themed gear (think Ironman with different changes of armor for example)?

DSTchuck

We used to do lots of different configurations but we try and be more focused now and no plans to expand the army builders past the specialty short packs. We're happy with that direction.

luke314pi

Santos - postulate thy beseechment!

Santos L Ha...

Are there any unannounced movie properties that may be seeing the light of day in 2012? (Other than Universal Monsters or Knight Rider)

DSTchuck

I don't think so we've got some stuff that might happen but I think we've shown all thats in progress in SD.

luke314pi

Shamrock - start the interrogation!

Shamrock

I seriously have nothing I can think of, so what are each of your favorite minimates produced?

DSTchuck

ZAch?

Zach Oat

I recently found myself appreciating the simple beauty of an active camouflage Spartan from Halo. So pretty. But for a long time it was Nightcrawler.

Zach Oat

Any Nightcrawler. The original was great, but the new one is just as good. I also have a great Iron Man, I forget the wave, with gold armor and the rocket base.

Zach Oat

Oh, and the PX Taskmaster.

Zach Oat

The new Taskmaster blows the old one away.

Zach Oat

But I don;t think we'll be able to match the sheer number of weapons the last one had.

Zach Oat

But sculpting-wise, he's a beauty.

Zach Oat

And tampo-wise

luke314pi

Smashmaster - you have my sword! And my bow! AND MY AXE!

Smashmaster12

I'd rather have a gun, Luke. ANYWAY. I remember you guys saying there would be "one or two" characters in the MvC3 line that would be impossible to make. Can I ask what characters they are? (Boring question, yes, I know.)

DSTchuck

The ones that do not resemble a humanoid shape in any way.

Zach Oat

But I think Robert and Uriel and Barry figured out how to do the impossible for a few of them.

luke314pi

sylvain - FLAME ON!

sylvain

Thanks luke. Since Battle Beasts was a Hasbro/Takara (Beastformers) collaboration have you been or are you in contact with Takara (or Hasbro) ?

Zach Oat

Chuck? I think no?

DSTchuck

Nope we will pretty much be starting BB from scratch on our own. We've spent the last year plus working on stuff.

luke314pi

TM2 - It's clobberin' time! (I had to follow up with that one)

TM2 Dinobot

I figure I'd better as this question while I'm on y'alls good side. If you have any spare Gold and/or Silver Spider-man MMs, may I have one?

DSTchuck

Sure tons of them all you had to do was ask..LOL

Zach Oat

I think there's still one in the ToyFare library. Wherever that is.

luke314pi

Twisted Two-Face - probe deeply!

Twisted Two...

Can we (or I...) hope for a dip back into the Ultimate Universe? I hope Wave 27 wasn't the last, i'd love to finish the Ultimates; they're a great, dysfunctional team benefiting some treatment like Age of Apocalypse just got.

DSTchuck

Right no no plans for a full dip but a character here and there maybe.

luke314pi

undeadpool - AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!

undeadpool

:DDD so chuck, at sdcc you showed off ironmans giant canon thing for MVC, does this mean we can hope for deadpools life bar?

DSTchuck

Mmm a new Spidey!

Zach Oat

Chuck likes Spider-Man.

DSTchuck

We've got some surprises still in the MvC line.

luke314pi

Nervous, who could not be here tonight, wondered if you had any plans for Thundercats or a General Lee vehicle?

DSTchuck

No plans for thundercats or dukes.