UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Chat-Box?

I've looked around on lots of forums, and ours is great. But there is one thing we don't have.

A Chat-Box.

I'm sure you all know what a c-box is, it's the fast chatting system you can put on your website.

Here is a link to the website, you might wanna try it out: http://www.cbox.ws/

- Capt Mini :timbo:

Edited by Captain Minimate

I have considered a shout box for the site. I was never convinced that it was worth the trouble, but I am not really against it.

Chat went away because it was never used and an additional expense.

Shout-box is a box, kinda banner sized, across the top of the forums and in it you post just like you would in a chat room. There is little difference except it stays on the front page (index page) and is meant more for exclamations than actual chat. Like saying good morning to the members or making an announcement. You can chat with it, but typically its used for comments rather than person to person banter.

I can personally attest that shotboxes are cooler, smaller, and far less trouble, as they're zero maintenance. The only problem I've EVER had is when you've got members up at 3 in the morning plugging away at it. It's annoying. Transfandom used to have one, and that was the only aspect that drove me bonkers. Though with this lot, i think it'd be okay.

I'll throw my vote into the hat.

I can personally attest that shotboxes are cooler, smaller, and far less trouble, as they're zero maintenance. The only problem I've EVER had is when you've got members up at 3 in the morning plugging away at it. It's annoying. Transfandom used to have one, and that was the only aspect that drove me bonkers. Though with this lot, i think it'd be okay.

I don't agree that there would be zero maintenance. Unless we institute the word filter and ban certain words, staff will need to pay attention to it and even then it gives another outlet to spammers. Just adding it means writing code.

If it is something members want, we can make it happen.

I don't agree that there would be zero maintenance. Unless we institute the word filter and ban certain words, staff will need to pay attention to it and even then it gives another outlet to spammers. Just adding it means writing code.

If it is something members want, we can make it happen.

Why would we need a filter? We don't have a filter on the forums.

Though spammers would indeed be a problem. I hadn't thought of that.

• 3 months later...
I'll add my 2 cents: I wouldn't use it, and I think it would take away from the beauty of our main page. Plus it sounds kinda useless IMO.

BS

I agree. It sounds kind of useless...