UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

"X-Men: Days of Future Past" Minimates

MisterPL

Since the first trailer was released today, I thought this would be a good time to create a thread dedicated to 'mates based on Days of Future Past.

While the trailer doesn't give much away, it does show some new characters and new versions of old characters that I'd welcome into my Marvel Cineverse collection. As always there's a lot of potential but the question is if DST has the time to develop the product.

Personally, I'd focus on getting a set to TRU in time for the movie's release, something that has the most popular and recognizable characters going for it. I'd offer a second series later at specialty that finishes the set in time for the home video release. Two series, two tie-ins, lots of mutants.

Thoughts?

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trailer says "The usual list of suspects" so that's what I'm going to guess IF we get Minimates. Alot like the X3 wave. Although... what would be neat is if they got cute and did this.

Prof X/Prof X

Magneto/Magneto

Logan/Logan

Storm/Mystique

Pack the same characters together. Now how that you effect sales, but the packaging could look great!

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

... they're gonna need a bigger wave than First Class got, that's for sure...

This movie is going to be really really big. Zach if you're reading this, please for the love of God give us a Minimate Peter Dinklage. Please.

Zach if you're reading this, please for the love of God give us a Minimate Peter Dinklage. Please.

I am not touching that one.

Not sure we're going to have multiple assortments, or even a full assortment for this film. But we'll see. Plenty of great characters we didn't make for X-Men First Class OR X3 that would be great, as well as X3-ers who need an upgrade.

it says "director of The Usual Suspects" dont know how you missed that TM O-o

also seeing as Bishop, Blink, Warpath and Sunspot are all in the trailer, its obviously not just the usual suspects

my guess is the people integral to the film are:

Xavier (times 2)

Magneto (times 2)

Wolverine (duh)

Mystique (ugh)

Bolivar Trask

Beast (maybe)

hopefully Bishop but with his little presence in the trailer, I sorta doubt it

the film does look good, better than Singers earlier X-men work, hopefully it learned a bit from First Class, Im excited

I'm pretty sure they used The Usual Suspects because that's still Singer's most critically acclaimed film. You won't see "From the director of Jack the Giant-Slayer" anytime soon. In fact, I think Singer's reputation as a feature film director is riding on this movie since his last three were critical and commercial duds. Maybe he should stick to producing shows like House. Anyway...

It sucks that this movie could be a great way for DST to play catch-up with these characters and it's not going to happen. This is why, with the short timeline and the fact that sell-in to TRU is no longer a given, we might be better off with a comic-based assortment.

it says "director of The Usual Suspects" dont know how you missed that TM O-o

also seeing as Bishop, Blink, Warpath and Sunspot are all in the trailer, its obviously not just the usual suspects

my guess is the people integral to the film are:

Xavier (times 2)

Magneto (times 2)

Wolverine (duh)

Mystique (ugh)

Bolivar Trask

Beast (maybe)

hopefully Bishop but with his little presence in the trailer, I sorta doubt it

the film does look good, better than Singers earlier X-men work, hopefully it learned a bit from First Class, Im excited

I wonder if they crammed so many members in as a way to claim ownership of them for future movies and so to prevent someone like Sunspot appearing in a future Avengers movie.

I love the movie versions of the Marvel Studios characters. Cap, Thor, Iron Man.

But I consider myself an enormous X-Men fan, and have been nothing but disappointed with the movies.

Comic mutants all the way, please. Especially with unfinished (90s X-Force) and never done (90s X-Factor) teams.

I like movie Yukio better because she looks more dynamic than the comic version, and movie Mariko looks prettier than the comic 'Mate we already have. But that's about it.

Edited by TENIME_art

Zach's comment seems to indicate DST is considering mixing either movies or movies/comics into one assortment. I'd be okay with that for all the X-Men movies. They make for good movie designs but boring toys/minimates. Origins/First Class/Wolverine are all boring civilian heavy waves.

Give me a Stewart Xavier, McKellen Magneto, all blue mystique and a sentinel then fill the rest of the wave with comic X-Men. It would make a more visually appealing assortment and probably sell better.

Edited by fwoosheyman

I would read it more as "not sure if we're doing anything for this film." From a broad-audience marketing standpoint, I'm not sure how successful mixing comic and movie looks into one wave would work. I also don't know if this is going to be the tentpole everyone expects. I think in terms of overall marketing next year, Guardians will probably overshadow what essentially looks like Wolverine 3.

Edited by Lobsterman

ZOMFG! I am moved and excited about X-Men films once more!

The trailer looks awesome - and it looks like Brian singer is tapping into that great sadness and hopelessness that i love seeing the x-men rise to meet.

Thoughts on possible toys:

*A 'nude' mystique would be awesome as it would be usable as an X1/2/3 mystique too.

*An Xavier fig might be a bit boring - but i'd be very keen if he came with his futuristic hover-chair.

*This is a great chance at new mutants (Blink, Sunspot, Warpath, Bishop) and mutants who didn't get a chance in the previous x-movie assortments (Rogue, Iceman, Present/Future Magneto)

DST seems to be moving away from double assortments for movie line-ups (and i wouldn't count on support from TRU on this front after the Thor issues).

If only one wave gets made, i really hope it helps us pad out our existing X-Movieverse figures. Bishop looks like he could be quite toyetic. Shadowcat looks like she might play a decent role in this. If i had to choose 8 figures, it'd be something like:

Sentinel/Bishop

HoverChair Xavier/Rogue

Shadowcat/Iceman

Future Magneto/Blink

However - that's based purely on the trailer. Some of those mutants may not even have speaking parts. Actually - that leaves out Hobo Xavier, Hoverchair Xavier, Sunspot, Bishop..... Forget it. I can't decide on only 8 figures from a cast of over a dozen much loved characters.

In a perfect world we'd get a 'future assortment' at TRU and a 'past assortment' at specialty.

Ok - i've just had my morning coffee, so i'm a little eXcitable right now. I'll just end my rant here and come back once i've calmed down.

Edited by Nessex

Yeah, I'd agree this probably isn't going to be huge. It will do decent business, but if people are expecting Avengers or Iron Man 3 numbers they're going to be disappointed. Add to that the fact that the X-movies haven't necessarily shown that they can move a lot of product and I could understand DST (and TRU) being hesitant to go all in with it.

Lobsterman, on 30 Oct 2013 - 09:34, said:

I would read it more as "not sure if we're doing anything for this film."

Unfortunately, this is more how i interpreted it too :/

stack32, on 30 Oct 2013 - 09:51, said:

Yeah, I'd agree this probably isn't going to be huge. It will do decent business, but if people are expecting Avengers or Iron Man 3 numbers they're going to be disappointed. Add to that the fact that the X-movies haven't necessarily shown that they can move a lot of product and I could understand DST (and TRU) being hesitant to go all in with it.

In fairness, there hasn't been a lot of product available for any of the films.

DST's First Class minimates were the *only* product for first class. X3 also got a couple of figures mixed into Marvel Legends lines just after Hasbro took over (and at a time when Legends popularity was at an all-time low).

The (1st) Wolverine movie had, to my mind, the best assortment of figures released so far. The 3.75" offerings had both movie & comic versions - the comic wave was surprisingly not 10 versions of Wolverine & a villain thrown in for the fans (i'm looking in *your* direction, Iron Man), but had several heroes (Iceman, Cyclops, Colossus, Maverick & Wolverines) and a couple of villains too (Deadpool, Sabretooth, Blob).

I don't know how it did overseas, but it's the only figure wave that isn't still lingering on at my local TRU & K-Mart. Captain America, Thor, Spider-man, Avengers & Iron Man 2 can still be found at heaps of outlets here. XMOW is all gone.

There are probably other factors involved.... but i'd like to think a little part of that is due to a general love of the characters.

/goes back into his box now

Edited by Nessex

We're definitely doing something for the film, I just don't know if it will be a seven-figure assortment. I don't think TRU is taking it.

If it was a lighter year, we might have given it more love, but it has a lot of competition next year.

But one thing is for certain -- lots of comic X-Men love next year!