UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

C3: WWE Stackdown!

MisterPL

Check this out:

tf2013_bridge_24.jpg

Those are packaging prototypes for a line of WWE construction kits on display at 2013 Toy Fair. The interesting part is that they're in the showroom of The Bridge Direct, a little group made up of former employees of Toy Biz and Play Along Toys, the latter owned by Jakks Pacific, former licensee for WWE.

As others recall, Play Along was the company that Art Asylum partnered with to make DC Minimates under the newly created C3 brand of construction kits. It's looking like someone from Jakks is trying to get back into the WWE market by offering construction kits.

The question is: What about mini-figures?

Will The Bridge make their own? Or will they partner with AA/DST to develop and manufacture WWE Minimates?

I suppose they could create their own to make them more compatible with LEGO minig-figs. However it seems a figure with more articulation would have greater play value.

Thoughts?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've long thought that WWE was a sleeping giant for Minimates, second only to Star Wars in potential. Huge fan base, proven toy seller, neverending cast of characters. Best of all, there's no other minifig line competing for attention... or at least there wasn't.

When I was in New York I mentioned WWE to Chuck, and he seemed genuinely interested in the idea. I do believe that he said there's been talk in the past, even some designs drawn up, but nothing ended up happening. Maybe this has changed? I do think that Minimates would be the perfect WWE minifig, better then whatever Lego knockoff Jakks comes up with. Maybe we'll get lucky.

If these sets come with compatable accessories, particularly a championship belt, I might pick some up. I've made a few wrestling customs over the years, and I'd love to give my CM Punk a title belt.

I do watch wrestling, but would mostly be interested in classic rasslers. Only a handful from today I would buy. But kids these days would disagree. John Cena would be the Kirk/Spidey/Batman of the WWE line with variants out the wazoo I reckon.

My thoughts...

I have very little interest in construction kits. I don't dislike playsets that are a solid piece for minimates, and would take a big solid ring, or any number of accessories... but I don't like pairing minimates with legos for whatever reason. *Shrug* I feel like legos look too messy... for lack of a better term. All those pegs and odd bits jutting out all the time. All those brick seems. I feel like minimates have a relatively clean look. Simple, but clean. I don't like them together. Never assembled any of my C3 sets.

And what would we even make? A ring? "Look I used my blocks to make a... bigger block! With 4 poles!" lol... I suppose there's also titantrons and ramps and such, as well as gimmicks like Elimination Chamber, but I feel like the ideas drop off quickly, once you've made the dozen or so obvious sets. And then we'd just get rehashes... like "Smackdown Ring" "Summerslam Ring" "Royal Rumble Ring" and so on...

THAT said... I would buy up FIGURES for WWE by the dozen. And there's loads of room for accessories too. As others have said, virtually limitless potential.

Assuming it would be fairly well rounded in terms of modern day superstars vs. legends, I'd love love love it. The Legends line from Jakks was always my favorite WWE line to watch. I don't have a problem with current day WWE by any means, but we all love Nostalgia.

to play devils advocate for a bit- wouldnt 99% of them be Just semi Naked guys in Briefs so essentially civillian mates(which never do well on their own) minus the clothing pieces? all the character reckognition would come from the face design, sure there may be a few cool ones like Undertaker in full undertaker guise but thats it :shrug:

Nah, I think most characters have outfits that make them distinctive. Hogan and Cena have their t-shirts, Rock and Austin have their vests, Macho Man and Flair have their robes, Hitman has his leather jacket, Shawn Michaels has his colorful outfits, etc.

I also think that DST does a pretty fantastic job with minimate celebrity faces. (I mean, just look at that Scott Bakula Star Trek figure!) So if even if Ric Flair was just a half naked guy, I bet his face and hair would look great! There's also the possibility for some layering as karamazov pointed out. I'd love a Roddy Piper figure with a kilt and jacket and underneath just plain blue tights (with bagpipe accessory of course).

John Cena would be the Kirk/Spidey/Batman of the WWE line with variants out the wazoo I reckon.

Naw, that would probably be Rey Mysterio. You can only make so many figures wearing jean shorts after all.

That said, I think WWE Minimates could do pretty well. Dunno if you could get permission to make mini-figures with Mattel holding the figure license and producing their own blocky figures ( WWE Rumblers).

Psh, he had both jean shorts AND camo shorts, thank you very much! Then you've got orange outfit, purple outfit, green outfit, pink cancer awareness outfit, bare chest, camo shirt, version with chains from his rapper days, white pants days from his earliest appearances on TV, battle damaged versions with partially torn shirts, suit wearing Cena, tux wearing Cena, casual Fridays Cena with sweat pants and a wife beater, and that's not even getting into the "Cena Halloween party" waves. And did someone say "Scuba Assault Cena?" Yes please, may I have another?

Edited by karamazov80

I would buy wrestling minimates my main concern is the same as Mattallica's that alot of them could be very plain apart from the face design just a muscle blank with trunks head and hair to tell alot of them apart.

That brings me to the minimate. Nearly all wrestlers that wear trunks have some sort design/name on them and I just dont see the minimate T-piece being big enough to carry it across.

Dont really want to poo poo the idea but that just the feelings I have. If they happened I would be all over them for Punk, Daniel Bryan, Undertaker and older ones like Austin, Rock, LOD, and Demolition. They are just the ones that spring to mind but I would prob by all and any no matter what.

Bare chests is true, but people like Randy Orton and the Rock have distinctive tattoos so that will help. Then others have their distinctive clothing, vests etc. Also pack them in with accessories. Chairs, mikes, ladders, briefcases and belts and you've got a lot of fun in a 2 pack!

I would be buying these for sure, especially if similar to the WWE games you got a good mix of current and classic guys.

And dare I suggest impulse buy bling bags? I hate bling bagged stuff personally, but we've had our own debates on what's selling out there atmo, and blind bags by the register are selling.

Randy Savage vs Spidey anyone? 'I got you for three minutes!'

I would buy wrestling minimates my main concern is the same as Mattallica's that alot of them could be very plain apart from the face design just a muscle blank with trunks head and hair to tell alot of them apart.

That brings me to the minimate. Nearly all wrestlers that wear trunks have some sort design/name on them and I just dont see the minimate T-piece being big enough to carry it across.

Dont really want to poo poo the idea but that just the feelings I have. If they happened I would be all over them for Punk, Daniel Bryan, Undertaker and older ones like Austin, Rock, LOD, and Demolition. They are just the ones that spring to mind but I would prob by all and any no matter what.

Solution: bulked-up ass pieces.