UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

youbastards' 1/6th collection - HULK SMASH!

youbastards

Very cool. Someone was going to do painted reactors to just glue onto his chest, but I don't know if that ever happened (might have been Robbie offering them). I just got a Bill the Butcher hat from Robbie, and it is great.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Matt, I wish I could take the credit. The set of shirt/pants/socks & shoes/bracelets were sold by a company called Asmus Toys for $25. The Stark head came with the Hot Toys Mark IV, and the body/hands is a spare that I had on hand.

I should point out that the bracelets are solid metal, which is the big selling point of the set.

Edited by youbastards

• 1 month later...

'Return of the Jedi' Luke Skywalker

I have always had mixed feelings on the Sideshow Jedi Luke, it was the first 1/6 Star Wars figure they released, but the likeness was just never quite what I wanted. I always said it looks like someone poured butterscotch pudding on John Denver's head.

050-2_zps5662dd68.jpg

When I saw some of the Hasbro head repaints that clparker04 had done over on the Freaks board, I commissioned him to repaint some of the Sideshow heads, and Jedi Luke was the first!

Here are pix of the repainted head. This is the Sideshow clothing on a Hot Toys slim truetype. The 'force' hand came with HT Bespin Luke, the black glove was from an Episode III Anakin (i think, I bought it loose).

A lot of people have just been using the Bespin Luke head for Jedi Luke, but I don't think it captures the maturity of Luke in Return of the Jedi. Mark Hamill's look changed a lot from film to film (partially due to plastic surgery), and as you can see below, once again a great Sideshow sculpt was buried under a horrible paint application.

JediLuke01.jpg

JediLuke02.jpg

JediLuke03.jpg

JediLuke04.jpg

JediLuke05.jpg

JediLuke06.jpg

JediLuke07.jpg

JediLuke08.jpg

JediLuke09.jpg

Edited by youbastards

I'm not sure if I forgot to post it, or if G'DD'Y ate the post during the MMMV outage, but here is my G.I.Joe Commando Snake Eyes.

Thanks to some serious inspiration from Sideshow Freaks member EvilFace and his amazing G.I.Joe 'greenshirt' customs, I am in the process of putting together all of the original 13 Joe's in 1/6 scale.

For those who don't know, the very first series of 3 3/4" G.I.Joe figures in 1982 consisted of 16 figures, 13 Joes and 3 Cobras. Most of the original team wore a variation of typical olive drab military fatigues, and thus they have earned the nickname "greenshirts".

Snake Eyes, as the story goes, was the product of Hasbro's desire to reduce costs and produce another figure, so he was cast entirely in black plastic with no painted details. He was the stand out figure of the 1982 releases, and is easily the most popular G.I.Joe character.

Fun fact, Flint is ranked 37th most popular, right behind Crystal Ball, the Cobra Gypsy. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle. The other half is made up of red and blue lasers as this pie chart details.

pic1543524.png

So my 1982 Snake Eyes is primarily composed of the new Commando Snake Eyes released by Sideshow. I have made a few very important changes:

- ACI Commando Sweater

- Large Uzi

- Vietnam era pineapple grenade

- Explosives for his satchel: Bundle of dynamite, brick of C4, Signal flares

- Cobra Soldier Kneepads

You will notice that this version of Snake Eyes has zero ninja accessories. That version of Snake Eyes wasn't introduced until 1985. The Sideshow Commando Snake Eyes figure does come with alternate parts to make a 1985 version. I already put together a 1985 Snake Eyes earlier in this thread, but do plan to revisit him and update some of the gear.

SnakeEyes01.jpg

SnakeEyes02-1.jpg

SnakeEyes03.jpg

SnakeEyes04.jpg

SnakeEyes05.jpg

SnakeEyes06.jpg

SnakeEyes07.jpg

Edited by youbastards

*youbastards added to ignore list*

Nice job with Snake Eyes. The main problem I have with that one though is the head. I just don't like it, and figure I could do a custom kit-bash at half the price that I would actually be happier with than going with the stock SSC figure. I did get the '85 head and Timber from this set to update my original Snake Eyes, though, and both really improve on that figure IMO.

Edited by karamazov80

• 3 weeks later...

I emailed him last July after I paid for my WGP sculpts, and his assistant, "Igor", replied at the end of August with the pricing, details, etc.

I think I just got lucky, as there were a bunch of these sculpts being sent to him directly from WGP, so he was able to fit me in his schedule. He's also painting a smirking sculpt for me, but mine is in the next shipment from WGP.

I like most of the WGP sculpts I have seen so far, but man, what a mismanaged group. From no updates, to not following specific requests, I think that team is way in over their head. They have the sculpt designs down, but need some serious help managing the order process.

These Indy heads will most likely be the only thing I get from them, unless there is something I think is truly worth the hassle.

Totally agree. That's why I didn't pay upfront--I've seen many a custom artist leave customers in the lurch after getting in over their head. WGP. . .a good example of squandered opportunity if you ask me. If they were efficient they would be making money hand over fist. Great 3-D artists who do work fast, but they take forever to get simple casts out. Other guys on the board get casts finished and out to customers days after setting up a project (Rocco, Elvis, Snyder-Man, etc.). I trust Iminime a little more, but I don't feel totally comfortable with them holding onto my money for 6 months either. I think that group is a disaster waiting to happen if they don't slow down and get pieces out before collecting money for more.

Edited by karamazov80

I agree about Iminime, "Space Trucker" is the only item I have invested with them at the moment, and I don't see myself picking up many more custom figure sets from them. I had started setting money aside for the upcoming Eastwood set, but I think I'm going to pass.

Only having 1 or 2 professional level custom figures in my collection is fine for me, I'm not nitpicky about the little things that people point out with Hot Toys/Sideshow etc, so the mass market figures will satisfy me 90% of the time.

The 1/6 side of my collection is getting out of control, and after all the Avengers stuff ships from Hot Toys (hopefully it will be done this year...), I need to re-evaluate where my collection is going.

To my eyes, the Rainman/Iminime type stuff isn't so desirable because they handle the nitpicky details better than Hot Toys. Really, I think Rainman is slightly better in terms of clothing and accessories than Hot Toys, but not by much. The main issue for me is the licenses. Hot Toys wouldn't do the Dude in 100 years, or most of the other figures he has tackled. Iminime has chosen some potential HT figures, but they still are offering things that HT can't or won't do, like Ripley, Lector, and Blondie. And I find myself more into those licenses than, say, another Iron Man or Batman figure.

But I'm with you re: the out of hand collection. I've got 2 Detolfs full (actually more than full) of figures, plus an entire bookshelf nearly full, where there are so many that it looks way too busy. And of course, I've got some boxed up. I keep offloading things, but picking up even more so that it never seems that I'm making progress. Hard to reign myself in when there is so much great stuff out there from franchises I care so much about, though.

Edited by karamazov80

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm guessing you know about the assorted QC problems with this one--take care! I don't care much for the design myself, but will definitely be picking up the ASM 2 version assuming it doesn't have major QC or design problems.