UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

ability to ignore members?

I'm on a couple other boards where you can choose to ignore a member so you will never see any of that user's posts in threads. I looked but couldn't find any way to do that. Is that available here?

*View the Profile of the member you want to ignore.

*On the right hand side under Profile Options select Ignore User.

*This will take you to your control panel where you can add this user to your ignored users list.

To get back to that list, go to your control panel, down to Manage Ignored Users under Options.

OK I get the message ! :(

LOL not you! Just certain kids that do not use punctuation. It hurts my eyes and brain trying to read those posts so I'd rather not even see them.

Thanks Lurch this works great!

Sadly as staff I not allowed to block anyone... ;)

Please feel free to block who you like but taking verbal potshots at another member especially newer ones just because they get on your nerves is frowned upon.

T.

Please feel free to block who you like but taking verbal potshots at another member especially newer ones just because they get on your nerves is frowned upon.

T.

I'm not taking shots. Many times I have suggested to a certain user to look up, use, or ask about punctuation. All I havce asked is how to block someone so I don't have to see their posts anymore.

T.

I'm not taking shots. Many times I have suggested to a certain user to look up, use, or ask about punctuation. All I havce asked is how to block someone so I don't have to see their posts anymore.

I disagree Webhead. You've deliberately belittled another member. Not in this 'particular' thread, but you have been less than generous to another member, and It's not just the staff team that have noticed this.

Please take note of what TBT! has said. It'd also be appreciated if you changed your signature image. This is, after all supposed to be an all ages forum.

T.

I disagree Webhead. You've deliberately belittled another member. Not in this 'particular' thread, but you have been less than generous to another member, and It's not just the staff team that have noticed this.

Please take note of what TBT! has said. It'd also be appreciated if you changed your signature image. This is, after all supposed to be an all ages forum.

I'm going to argue with you on this. I don't agree with your belittling comment and let's agree to disagree. I've had this sig since 2006. Thanks.

EDIT: I did a search on punctuation. My comments are not significantly different than other board members suggesting to others to use punctuation.

Rad I sent you a pm.

Edited by Webhead

OK I get the message ! :(

LOL not you! Just certain kids that do not use punctuation. It hurts my eyes and brain trying to read those posts so I'd rather not even see them.

Thanks Lurch this works great!

Than its my broken English, isn't it? :(

....I have to look up the word punctuation, since i really don't know what it means :sweat:

I'm going to argue with you on this. I don't agree with your belittling comment and let's agree to disagree. I've had this sig since 2006. Thanks.

You can disagree all you like, but the fact is I brought it up because another member reported you belittling another member. You can say all you like about us overlording or "being anal" but when another member complains we have to consider that you are affecting the community enough that someone takes time and effort to complain and therefore it warrants a gentle reminder to play nice. The simple fact is that there was no need for it, you could have made this thread or PM'd one of us if you wanted to put someone on ignore, you didn't have to make a thing about it.

As for your sig, There is nothing specific in the guidelines to say you have to take it down, HOWEVER I do know it makes some of our members uncomfortable and also is not exactly kid friendly, which is actually enough to invoke the "we can do anything we want as staff for the general good of the board" part of the guidelines. Yes it's been there since 2006 but our demographic has changed a lot since then and like it or not we are a much more kid oriented site these days. So please consider this paragraph me asking you nicely to change it as a favor to me?

T.

While it isn't really too much of my business, as this is a public post, I'm going to at least voice my support that Webhead be allowed to keep his signature. Regardless of any comments he has made, he HAS had the signature for years and I do think its a bit unfair to ask him to remove it now, especially given that doing it now makes it seem as if it is a form of punishment for his comments, which I think would be rather unfair.

While it isn't really too much of my business,

Deadpool, you're right, it's not!

It's also not punishment for any comments. It's something that's come up time and again just not in the public forum. It was funny for two weeks back in 2006. Now it's just unpleasant! The forum is very different from when it started. We have a lot of younger members now, and as a parent myself I wouldn't be happy with my son seeing that image, let alone a daughter.

As has been stated on several occasions this isn't a democracy, nor is it a free for all. We expect our members to moderate themselves and generally they do, and that's part of what makes this such a great site.

But, in a situation where a Moderator steps in and asks a member to desist, that member has to take notice. It isn't then open for discussion.

On the SFX forum I got moderated for using a swear word in a post. That was something explicit in their rules and I forgot about it. When I got moderated I didn't start a flame war or a discussion about how fair/unfair it was that I got a virtual scolding, I just apologised and got on with things. It's the grown up thing to do.

While it isn't really too much of my business, as this is a public post, I'm going to at least voice my support that Webhead be allowed to keep his signature. Regardless of any comments he has made, he HAS had the signature for years and I do think its a bit unfair to ask him to remove it now, especially given that doing it now makes it seem as if it is a form of punishment for his comments, which I think would be rather unfair.

It's not unfair to ask him to remove it, the demographic here has changed to a family oriented one over the last couple of years. I personally don't like the sig, it actually makes me avoid surfing this website in some public places because it's NSFW, it's the only item on here that is, so therefore yes it is fair to ask him to remove it.

We haven't asked for it to be removed previously because it's not been high on our radar, I tend to have a policy with sigs that they are low on the list of things to moderate, and generally only ask people to fix them if they put themselves on our radar.

You should also note that I am asking for the Sig to taken down not telling. I'm perfectly within my bounds as Admin/Mod to just change it but am not doing so (Yet) out of respect for Webhead.

*Edit: just noticed Rad posted at the same time as me with pretty much the same message, it's that the Sig is no longer suitable for the site and we'd prefer it to not be here.*

T.

It's not unfair to ask him to remove it, the demographic here has changed to a family oriented one over the last couple of years. I personally don't like the sig, it actually makes me avoid surfing this website in some public places because it's NSFW, it's the only item on here that is, so therefore yes it is fair to ask him to remove it.

We haven't asked for it to be removed previously because it's not been high on our radar, I tend to have a policy with sigs that they are low on the list of things to moderate, and generally only ask people to fix them if they put themselves on our radar.

You should also note that I am asking for the Sig to taken down not telling. I'm perfectly within my bounds as Admin/Mod to just change it but am not doing so (Yet) out of respect for Webhead.

*Edit: just noticed Rad posted at the same time as me with pretty much the same message, it's that the Sig is no longer suitable for the site and we'd prefer it to not be here.*

T.

I know you're within your bounds, I never claimed you weren't, nor did I or would I claim that those bounds are unreasonable. I suppose I just feel that the sig isn't that big of a deal. Regardless, I do understand both you and Rad are correct.

Rad, while I did acknowledge that it isn't really my business, it is on a public thread which I believe entitles me the same right as any other member here to speak up and voice my opinion on the situation. I know the general age demographic has shifted somewhat (although I think BHM pulls it back the others way to round it out :P) but I was under the impression that as a whole, we were still able to behave the same way we were able to when this forum started.

While I did find Webhead's comment to be harsh as I explained to him personally, I still feel that he should not be required to change his signature if he does not want to. He has used it for years now and it isn't causing any more of a problem today than it was last week, or the week before. To ask him to remove his signature now comes off, to me at least, as a result of your frustration with his behavior in the other thread. I'm not saying that you approve of his signature and are simply doing this out of spite, but that if he had not drawn your attention, you would have continued to ignore his signature with relatively little problem, making it appear as a form of "retaliation". I am of course unaware of any messages you have received over it, and it is more than possible that many members have an issue with it that I am unaware of.

Anyway, I know you guys are in the right asking him to remove it, but I disagree with your decision and wanted to make my disagreement known.

While I did find Webhead's comment to be harsh as I explained to him personally, I still feel that he should not be required to change his signature if he does not want to. He has used it for years now and it isn't causing any more of a problem today than it was last week, or the week before. To ask him to remove his signature now comes off, to me at least, as a result of your frustration with his behavior in the other thread. I'm not saying that you approve of his signature and are simply doing this out of spite, but that if he had not drawn your attention, you would have continued to ignore his signature with relatively little problem, making it appear as a form of "retaliation". I am of course unaware of any messages you have received over it, and it is more than possible that many members have an issue with it that I am unaware of.

Anyway, I know you guys are in the right asking him to remove it, but I disagree with your decision and wanted to make my disagreement known.

Deadpool you are entitled to your opinion, however you seemed to have completely missed the paragraph where I explained why we are asking that the Sig is removed now rather than at any other previous time. It's not something as devious as "spite" or "retaliation" it's a case of logistics, we spend enough of our free time moderating this place without looking for extra work and tend to deal with things as they come up, rather than spend time chasing every little infringement.

Here's an example of me doing exactly that, just yesterday.

T.

Deadpool you are entitled to your opinion, however you seemed to have completely missed the paragraph where I explained why we are asking that the Sig is removed now rather than at any other previous time. It's not something as devious as "spite" or "retaliation" it's a case of logistics, we spend enough of our free time moderating this place without looking for extra work and tend to deal with things as they come up, rather than spend time chasing every little infringement.

Here's an example of me doing exactly that, just yesterday.

T.

I actually caught your example earlier today (which I also never saw the other necro in that thread). I know it isn't that devious, I just feel it comes off that way.

Deadpool, when a moderator speaks to another member it is not a clarion call to all other members to come to the defence of that member. I reiterate, this is not a democracy. Please stop arguing with moderators every time a decision is made. After all this isn't the first occasion you've done so.

It's probably a good idea for us all to have a look at this post from a couple of years back.

http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.php?showtopic=5540

And remember why we're here and what this site is all about.