UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Imaginext Mr. Freeze= Custom Minimate Freeze?

hellpop

So I'm wondering if anyone has tried to customize the Imaginext Mr. Freeze into a Minimate Mr. Freeze, using basically the same method as the custom Black Manta (IE: lopping the head off a Manta Pocket Hero and putting it on a Minimate body). I've been thinking of trying it, and I think it will work, but I'm not sure how easy it would be. Does the Freeze helmet detach easily? Does the head look too big on a Minimate body?

By the way, here's the figure in question:

Imaginext Mr. Freeze

I've actually only seen one once, in a Target a month or so ago. I immediately thought about doing this (I had just done the Black Manta custom, and was looking for similar projects), but I didn't pull the trigger. The reason I bring this up now is that it dawned on me that the gloves, boots, and belt that come with Lex Luthor would be perfect for Mr. Freeze. They are available at TRU.com, so I would assume they can be found in their stores as well.

Looking at the photo, I would think that the head doesn't come out, so that you would just use that head. Looks like the shoulders, helmet, and head are all one piece. The Superman figure they released in this line also came with a domed helmet, and though it doesn't quite say "Mr. Freeze", I just tried it out and it does fit pretty perfectly on a Minimate. It doesn't stay, and it has a big hook attachment that you'd have to lop off, but it fits. If all else fails, I'll probably just use that (the Spectre's head, by the way, makes for a fine Freeze head, and a BSG Razor Cylon gun makes for a fine freeze gun).

Okay, my youngest has this guy (okay he has all these Imaginext Superfriends). The head inside the dome does not appear to be a full head, looks like from the nose up. The body is bigger than a minimate. Now the dome, shoulder rig and head are attached as one piece, but looking at it, I think you could get the half head out without ruining the armor. might need to be a 2.5 inch mates to look right though. They are relatively hard to come buy, mostly cause most stores were stuck with a ton of blue/grey Batmen and didn't order a lot of the Mr. Freeze wave.

It might work, might spectacularly fail. Proceed with optimistic caution.

But the freeze chamber / ice trap is really fun to play with. Just sayin'

Okay, my youngest has this guy (okay he has all these Imaginext Superfriends). The head inside the dome does not appear to be a full head, looks like from the nose up. The body is bigger than a minimate. Now the dome, shoulder rig and head are attached as one piece, but looking at it, I think you could get the half head out without ruining the armor. might need to be a 2.5 inch mates to look right though. They are relatively hard to come buy, mostly cause most stores were stuck with a ton of blue/grey Batmen and didn't order a lot of the Mr. Freeze wave.

It might work, might spectacularly fail. Proceed with optimistic caution.

But the freeze chamber / ice trap is really fun to play with. Just sayin'

Thanks for the report. My biggest worry is that the shoulder pads might look ridiculously big on a Minimate body. But I think it's worth trying.

So I went on a shopping trip tonight, and what did I find, but an Imaginex Mr. Freeze. Ironically he was at the same Target that I passed on him two months ago... and that Target has been dead for me, except that I found the two items I wanted to expand my Minimates with, this and the SHS Ghost Rider Motorcycle.

So the good news is that the helmet is indeed a separate piece, and I was able to work it off without much of a problem. And, just setting it on the shoulders of a Minimate body, I can see that it's going to work pretty well. I'm using the oversized gloves and boots that came with Lex Luthor, which fit well with the oversize shoulder pads. It even sits pretty nicely on the shoulders.

The bad news is that I cannot as of yet force a Minimate head into the helmet. The opening is too narrow; I think I can shave a little of the plastic back, or put it in boiling water so that it will be a little more malleable. But I'm getting the damn head in there somehow!

Sorry no pics, as my camera battery needs to be charged. I'll try to snap some (sans head if I have to) tomorrow.

UPDATE: Success! Shaving the plastic worked. Mr Freeze is done, and he looks awesome, if I do say so myself. Sooooooooooo glad I did this, he's my new favorite custom (I know I'm prattling on, but I'm pretty jazzed). Like I said, I'll try to get pics up soon, but I'll share my formula now: I used the original Ghost Rider torso, arms, and legs, plus the gloves, boots and belt from Lex Luthor. I tried out some other combinations (such as just all black) but this was my personal favorite. I used an extra Spectre head I had sitting around, and Sharpied his eyes red, and gave him a BSG Razor Cylon's gun for his freeze gun. Unfortunately, the gun that comes with the Imaginext figure won't work for a Minimate (it barely works for the Imaginext figure); I may try out a Ghostbusters proton pack, but this will do for now. And, of course, the helmet.

Oh, and I also used the GR head to make Black Mask. Good night for customizing! :biggrin:

Edited by hellpop