UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Bob's Customs - Assassin's Creed II Ezio, p.29

Sorry for letting you wait so long, I was pretty busy, but here is the next member of the Furyous Basterds:

Wolverine

Fury says:

'A Canadian lumberjack going by the name of Logan. He left Fort St. James, British Columbia, to earn some more money by working for the Union Pacific Railroad. He signed a contract and soon became lead man, which eventually brought him to New York. He's a man of few words, but for all of us, 'furious' might fit him best. Sometimes. Let me put it this way: if there is a bar brawl, this is the guy who would be last standing no matter what, asking for another shot. If things get ugly, he is the right guy to send. He's the best in what he does, and what he does is bloody vampire business. Since he is a very skilled hand-to-hand combatant, Stark equipped him with a neat little gadget: Powered by a steam turbine carried on his back, he wears hydraulic claws on both hands, making him even more effective to make dead things deader..'

When I was thinking about which characters might work in a steampunk enviroment, Logan came to mind. I wanted to change his background a little, giving him a different treatment where he isn't a mutant but still has his claws. While browsing through pictures of steampunk customs, I found a lot people wearing those fancy steam-engine backpacks I really liked. So I came up with the idea, this Stark product might give Wolverine exactly what he needs: steam driven claws on both hands.

The recipe: His face belongs to movie Sabertooth (sic!), the hair piece to w28 Wolverine. His chest is from Ultimate Thor/Ares and his pants and cowboy boots are from the Few More Dollars pack. His bronze belt came with Nova. Both mechanical arm pieces are from movie Mark I Iron Man. The backpack is something I already modified for my Comedian's flamethrower. The cables are just some tubes.

FB-Wolverine03.jpg Wolverine.jpg

"Snikt" (Wolverine)

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awesome, as always. The 'mates look great, and the story is a lot of fun.

I agree (and I mean no offense by it) that Sillof's Cap was the weakest, but I think Cap could work in this group. I imagine Steve Rogers as a hero of the Civil War, a model of Union and Republican values of patriotism and equality. In the waning days of the war, as Sherman marched south, a secret sect of the Ku Klux Klan lead by the nefarious Red Hood crept north with the sole purpose of crushing Rogers' spirit and the spirit of the Union. By the time Rogers had learned the cruel fate of his family, the Red Hood had disappeared back into the South. Shortly after the war, with nothing to lose, Rogers agreed to become the guinea pig of an American scientist familiar with the work of a young Dr. Jekyll and the potency of vampiric blood with a few secrets of his own.

Thanks a lot for all your Wolvie love!

Turtle, your Cap and especially Red Skull Hood background story is great! And including vampire blood is a a good point although it's a little grotesk. But very cool! Maybe I should think about it. Anyway, thanks a lot!

Nessex, I also like the wooden claws idea! That should be pretty easy to do, right?

Mini Nugget, I forgot to say that I really loved your idea to call Starks claw aparatus S.N.I.K.T.! Cool idea!

Next up: Hawkeye.

i think the idea of wooden claws is good, suggesting maybe a sort of mark 1 version of the apparatus(could also refer to the bone claws some way)

bob, have you decided whether to do any other characters after this, maybe even teams like the x men or fantastic four?

Seems like next up is some kind of a sleeper in this set:

Hawkeye

Fury remarks:

'Clint Barton was a gunslinger from Waverly, Iowa, wasting his life in a traveling circus. Being an orphan since the age of three, he has no memories of his parents, but nightmares seeing their murderers drinking his parents blood. You might see a connection here. You might think that's a little too obvious. For me, I see a man with a motive and that's something I can work with. I saw Clint once performing his skills during a stay in Five-Points, and was deeply impressed by his marksmanship. He uses the prototype technically enhanced gun built by Stark, which even increases his skills. Let me try to explain it this way: If I ever feel the need to let someone shoot an apple off of my head from a fair distance, he's the guy I'd choose and even allow him to step some dozen feet backwards.'

I was really surprised that Clint received that much love from you. In this sence he was kind of a sleeper, because he was the last minute character I included in the set. I was looking for some parts that had something steampunkesque and I found that one cliché item: the goggles. No goggles, no steampunk, or something like that. So I was thinking who might use them. Then I did browse through other stuff and found that gun and so the idea of some sharpshooter evolved. Ta-da, Hawkeye. I (re-)imagine him a lot as this young, ambitious, sometimes bigheaded guy who every ones in a while overestimates himself. As in his I-could-so-lead-the-Avengers-days. That does fit pretty much to what my stereotype of gunslingers is. His natural talent is enhanced by Stark products: spyglass-telescope-whatever-Stark-did-put-in-there goggles, the steampunk-tech gun and he's also wearing this 19th Century bulletproof vest thingy.

The recipe: Face and hair belong to Jack Bauer (btw. one of the best faces ever done!). From the same 24 set came the bag. His goggles are from GB Ray. The chest piece with the metal plate is repainted from BttF3 Set Marty, the gun is Doc Brown's from the same set, also repainted a little. The bronze thing he wears on his right arm - I have no idea what it does, but it looks cool - came with Nova. His skirt is from Bullseye Hawkeye and his pants and cowboy boots are from the Few Dollars More set. I guess that's it.

FB-Hawkeye.jpg Hawkeye.jpg

"Ah, that was the greatest shot I've ever seen. - The worst! I was aiming at the horse." (Hawkeye)

I've been waiting for your Hawkeye write up. It doesn't disappoint. I don't know what it is about Hawkeye that makes him stand out, I would guess its the goggles and the use of the rifle instead of a bow and arrow but its my fave of the bunch.

As I already pointed out, I was a little surpised when you called him your favorite earlier on. It's cool and I'm really glad, but I just didn't expect it. Actually, I was thinking of giving him some kind of a steampunk version of his bow and arrow, but it didn't seemed to be very plausible. And I couldn't imagine a really good design. The biggest problem was, to give him something iconic, something that allows you to recognize him as Hawkeye. That was really tough since I didn't wanted to use masks and stuff like that. Then I gave him his 'skirt' and used his purple to repaint the shirt. That was a big step in the right direction, I think. :)

bob, have you decided whether to do any other characters after this, maybe even teams like the x men or fantastic four?

No, I haven't. I guess I'm through with them for now. I have plans for two new customs that have nothing to do with Marvel at all. After that, I have no idea. I guess I would come back to the Basterds as soon as I find some cool parts I could use for their look. Depending on those, I'd think about which charaters might be a cool thing to do.

I love the individual unveilings and write-ups on this series of yours. Hawkeye is as inspired (and as inspiring) as the others. It's definitely the goggles and the rifle that set this creation uniquely in the world you've created, but I love that he has maintained a definitive Hawkeye look. As always, great work.

• 2 weeks later...

Behold of breathless wonder, here is the mighty

Thor

Fury remarks:

'Jonte Eric Støresund is a tough guy, leaving Trondheim, Norway on the same route as Leif Ericson did some 800 years before, to start a new life in America. I first met him in New York one year before the John-Wilkes-Booth situation took place. He told me about vampires suddenly appearing in the area around Tromsø, up in the north of his homeland. That was three months after my own first contact in New Orleans, Louisiana. After Lincoln let me found the unit, Jonte Eric was the first person I tried to contact. Because of his Scandinavian heritage and his hydraulic hammer, a prototype constructed by Stark Enterprises to be used by railroad workers, we call him Thor. Mighty cliché, I know that.'

Thor was one of the first customs I finished when I came up with the steampunk idea and he is something like an hommage to Sillof's Thor, who really inspiered me to do this. Initially I gave him ultimate Thor's hammer but I thought it would be cooler to actually give him somtehing mechanical, something more steampunky, so he now has this hydraulic hammer. For his character, I wanted him to be a more "realistic" figure without all the mythology. So he's kind of Thor minus all the Asgard stuff. Unfortunatelly he's immobile thanks to the coat, but it does give him the iconic look he needs, though. That's also the reason why I only took one pic of him. He's unable to pose in a different way. I tried different faces, but beared Thor's face fits him best. So besides Tony Stark, he's the only character in my line I went with an original DST desgin.

The recipe: Thor's head and his belt are bearded Thor's. His hat belongs to Blackhawk. The coat is the Man in Black's repainted duster. The chest piece is a regular black one with the iconic disks painted on. The boots belong to Ultimate Thor and the hydraulic hammer is from 1st app. Iron Man.

Thor.jpg

"Don't get me wrong, it's not revenge I'm after. It's a reckonin', drittsekk!" (Thor)

sadly i think thor is the least effective of the group, could be something to do with the hammer, i'm not sure, but still a good custom

i could be wrong but isnt cable the next and last basterd, look forward to seeing more about him

You're right. With both remarks.

I was really glad when I found the right parts to do a Minimate version of Sillof's Thor to certain a extent. Then I started with my own ideas and I somehow changed my perspective. I didn't try to make a mate look like 'somthing else', but tried to make 'something else' look like a mate. Because of their restrictions as a minimate, some ideas work great, really great as mates. Some don't. That's what I learend here. But I think Thor does still look good enough to be included in this set, but he's my least favorite, too.

I think Thor's as great as the rest! Good design, good use of parts, even if that jacket is one of the most restrictive pieces ever. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the hammer, and that's true for its original use on Iron Man as well, I just think it's an ugly piece.

Edited by Shamrock

Here's the last of the Furious Basterds! Here's

Cable

Fury remarks:

'I don't know much about that lad born as Nathan Christopher Charles Summers, but I know enough to rely on him. He knows a lot about weapons and a lot of weapons is what he carries around. Besides guns and revolvers he got a left arm made out of unbreakable metal. I'm neither a physicist nor a doctor, but as far as I see it, that artificial arm is no armour, it's something like a prosthesis. Nobody knows how it works, but it does. Same for his glass eye, providing him enhanced eyesight. He says something about coming from the 20th century and some fellow called Nikola Tesla built those gadgets for him. But there is no such man known in the scientific community. I don't know what those 'visions' of him might be, but you can count on him when it comes to hunting vampires, so I don't ask questions which answers might scare the blazes out of people. And as long as nobody thinks of himself being some kind of a mythical God, I can live with that.'

Cable was fun to create! Initially I didn't planned to do a FB version of him, but after painting Iron Man, I really wanted to do another character using some wheatered metallic parts. After playing around with some pieces, I created his arm and I loved it. After that everythink was pretty easy. I wanted him to look a little like a Cowboy with a truckload of weapons and some badass equippment. That's it.

The recipe: I used a decal for his face, since I'm not the biggest fan of the Cable design we got. Most parts are from the $-trilogy box sets and I added Deadpools soulder-belt-thingy. His arm consits of an Endoskelleton hand, parts of Mark I movie Iron man and a shoulder-pad-thingy from Classic Iron Man. And a lot of weapons, including that gun from Terminator.

FB-Cable01.jpg Cable.jpg

"Bloodsucker, if you're looking for trouble, I'll accommodate you." (Cable)

Edited by Bob Harris