UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Universal Monsters Minimates

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And for those unfamiliar with Creature From the Black Lagoon, this is an entirely silly and mildly innacurate yet absolutely hilarious overview: Creature From the Black Lagoon the Musical.

Scratch that. Almost completely innacurate. But still... Funny stuff.

Edited by Trekker 42

HOLY CRAP!! Well this made my morning!! I loved Universal's work with Monster Movies, so this is very nice.

Sure, i was never a fan of Creature of the Black Lagoon, but i'll be damned if i'm not a classic horror fan!! I lov the cheesy costume of the creature, AND we get civilians, AND one's female. It's like the ultimte buy for me.

I care a lot more about those Black-and-white 2-packs, though. I like the whole faithful-to-the-ers thing, and want these most of all. I hope they don't get canned.

Now i just sit and await announcement of my favorite Monsters:

The Mummy

An ACCURATE Frankenstein

The Invisible Man

Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde

Personally, a Jekyll/Hyde 2-pack would be the bees knees. :) I really hope they don't makeALL the movies 4-packs, with 2-paks bein ADDITIONS to the 4-packs. If DST played this smart, they'd make 2-packs of DIFFERENT, MINOR films that we'd still want andwarran a release.

Don't overkill each movie, DST.

So anyone think ths license has A LOT to do with the new Wolfman, and Creature from the Blak Lagoon getting a remake in 2011?????? ;)

Anybody care to speculate on the yellowish creature. Is he from one of the sequels? Cause other that "the Creature Walks Among Us", I'm not familiar with the gillman having a different look.

EDIT:Just found this pic on the net...

walks_top.jpg

I'm guessing the yellowish version is Gill from "Revenge of the Creature".

The Gillman mask was re-done for the second installment "Revenge of the Creature" in 1955. That's why the second image taken from that movie looks different than even the poster art that's show for the original movie on the far left. The last one is from "Walks Among Us" where lousy scientists remove his gills and give him lungs, attempting to make him more of a man.

And no, I don't think a four pack and 2 two-packs is overkill. I think it's underkill, honestly. Huge fan of this movie... favorite flick ever... and that we're getting 'mates of 'em makes me want the full cast.

Awesome news. I hope these get made, along with all the other great horror films in mate form, instead of landing in the Beverly Hills Cop - Godfather zone. I was actually working on my own creature custom mates (which wouldve turned out horrible), so this is the best minimate-related news I've heard in a very long time (sorry IM2 mates). I've always loved The Creature From the Black Lagoon, enough to even have a tattoo of him, so.. yeah. Awesome news.

-blarg

So anyone think ths license has A LOT to do with the new Wolfman, and Creature from the Blak Lagoon getting a remake in 2011?????? ;)

Yeah I absolutely do. Though I think they would have wound up with the license somehow anyway, I do believe that the choice of the first two movies is because of the remakes. I mean, without the remakes we probably would have seen Frankenstein as one of the first packs.

Now that they're getting into REALLY old movies... Come on DST, Errol Flynn Robin Hood. You know you want to...

Very, very cool.

Considering the ridiculously broad appeal of that license, this could be the move that brings minimates even further into the mainstream.

Probably the best move DST could conceivably make.

concur- we need a bigger pic for sure

Stupid picture, be more bigger!

But this is awesome news, hopefully they take full advantage of all Universal Monsters properties.

should we change this threads name to "Universal Monsters Minimates"?.

but i just wanna see

phantom of the opera 4 pack(erik,red death erik,christine and raoul)

invisible man(invisibleman in clothes,completely translucent invisibleman,flora,and arthur

dr jeckyl and mr hyde(jeckyll,hyde,ivy,and muriel)

wolfman(larry talbot,wolfman,gwen,and sir john)

frankenstein(dr frankentein,the frankstein monster,elizabeth,and fritz)

the mummy(imhotep,helen,"ardath bay"mummy,joseph whemple)

dracula(dracula,van helsing,,mina harker,and jon harker)

hunchback of notre dame(quasimodo,esmeralda,jehan,and captain phoebus)

wow,the next few years are gonna be AWESOME!

but i just wanna see

phantom of the opera 4 pack(erik,red death erik,christine and raoul)invisible man(invisibleman in clothes,completely translucent invisibleman,flora,and arthur

Would you consider Phantom a Universal Monster?? I mean, i'm VERY prone to theater, and i consider anything PotO to be romance...and musical, i guess.

Monster, i see not. [/Yoda]

but i just wanna see

phantom of the opera 4 pack(erik,red death erik,christine and raoul)invisible man(invisibleman in clothes,completely translucent invisibleman,flora,and arthur

Would you consider Phantom a Universal Monster?? I mean, i'm VERY prone to theater, and i consider anything PotO to be romance...and musical, i guess.

The Lon Chaney version would fall under the Universal Monsters licence. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Monsters

but i just wanna see

yeah, i mean he would make an awesome character and i dont see why DST wouldnt make him.

I had a similar debate that Jekyll and Hyde weren't horror during Charity Mates 3.... though I consider Jekyll and Hyde to be a morality tale about the duality of man and the choices one makes in life because of the musical, apparently since Universal touched him first he's a monster and thereby horror.

Anything Universal has touched is a Universal Monster above all else.

... tangently related:

Does Mezco have a blanket Hellboy license? Does the Mez-It license still cover block figures or just "Mighty Muggs"? Because isn't Hellboy sorta-kinda now technically a Universal Monster now? (there was even talk at one point that Hellboy 3 would be 'Van Hellsing but with Hellboy' but that seems to have fallen apart in favor of finishing up the existing Hellboy storyline and revamping all the monsters on their own)... at the very least it'd be an excellent companion line.

also it's a completely separate licenses but we need El Santo and Blue Demon, can't have classic movie monsters without a Luchadore to punch them in the face...

Ah, youth.