UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Chat live with DST Chuck, Wednesday, March 24th

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like y'all had a better night than I did. I spent it in a parking lot trying to change a starter. Cold, wet, dark parking lot. I had some questions I REALLY wanted to ask too. :/

You can ask me if you want, though I can't promise my answers will be helpful or correct.

Sounds like y'all had a better night than I did. I spent it in a parking lot trying to change a starter. Cold, wet, dark parking lot. I had some questions I REALLY wanted to ask too. :/

You can ask me if you want, though I can't promise my answers will be helpful or correct.

My questions consisted of "Have you ever given though to anime-inspired Minimates, or has SF2 turned yall off that line entirely?" and "You are importing Mopips, instead of the far superior Figmas, even though I've asked for Figmas. WTH?"

So, yeah, nothing that you're gona have the answer to.

Chuck says they have another 80s property up their sleeve and to think HARD about who it is.

Danny, your emphasis got me thinking... Rock Lords?

I had a different thought, especially when the movie Minimates were brought up - Die Hard Minimates.

It's not Rock Lords. Rock Lords were owned by Go-Bots, which was bought by Hasbro in '89 or '90. Rocklords and GoBots are sub groups of Transformers now. That's how they could do Classics Crasher and the kid like called GoBots. Also the Spy Changer GoBots from G2. So, sorry, not Rock Lords.

OK folks I just spent ages making some sense of what I cut and pasted from the chat. I'm posting the Q&A parts only for now, just imagine the rest as an average thread here that gets derailed :)

Scourge: Will the C2E2 Stark Expo Tony Stark and Natalie Romanova exclusives bemade available after the show for non-attendees? Which e-tailer, if any, will carry it?

DSTchuck: I think so if they last and they will

the_punisher-D: Is the modern or classic mandarin the variant?

DSTchuck: Old school is the short pack -- I THINK

vbpanizzi: What is the size of the child minimate in the Father

DSTchuck: Kids MM is VERY small!

DSTchuck: Ok the FD MM was made becuase sales keeps saying stores want special event stuff- I'm not a fan of it- SORRY

brobotc: chuck ive been meaning to ask you,if there are multiple requests for a license (like pokemon and stuff) how come you dont look into the franchise?

DSTchuck: Lots of factors to pick a license not just two or three fan requets

brobotc: what happened to the battle beast playset?

DSTchuck: BB PS - lots of issues with the cost we want it as inexpensive as possible and the facotry does not seem to agree

NorthRaider: can we expect to see other beasts besides the croc?

DSTchuck: We're taking it slow with BB I mean we OWN it so why rush and mess up. Just Croc for this year.

DSTchuck: NO idea on BB as I said its in the thinking stage lots of directions we can go- don't want to pull a Palisades Micronaughts.

Mirymate: the Lizard... when he gets made sculpted head or pianted face on the block? Or both?

DSTchuck: Hmm have not thought about Lizard like that but I trust in Uriel!

Scourge: Question: Is aWrecking Crew gonna happen in the forseeable future?

DSTchuck: WC NOT in the works

buttheadsmate: DC? I know your stance but what are the chances? Where do you need the horse's head?

DSTchuck: Guys REALLY DC has nothing to do with us and I am tied of begging them-- all request go to George Brewer at DCD.

super_spider_piggy: Any chance of "Special Edition" Mates that releases the early and hard to find ones, a la The Bruce Lee Mates?

DSTchuck: I'd like to do Bruce Lee but we goth way more then we can handle right now to go back

battlecat: do you know what the mate with the TRU Delorean will be yet?

DSTchuck: Its a Marty isn't it?

battlecat: isn't that the other Delorean?

DSTchuck: Then Doc for TRU- I think

boyd: Is it standard articulation on the very small child MM?

DSTchuck: No he'll be more of a PVC IF he ever happens

(after a brief discussion on customising them) Mirymate: No Franklin for us

DSTchuck: Why not an older Franklin some day

brobotc: before you decided on minimates,was there ever a different name?

DSTchuck: I think it was always MM but NO idea whats in Diggers head - even 15years later

DSTchuck: 1st time I was ever asked that BTW

Danny: I will ask Sam's ( Karamazov) question from the forum: he potential for DST pursuing another, mini-80s license if Battle Beasts succeeds (and happens)? Specifically--MUSCLE?

DSTchuck: Danny- BB is something WE own now its not a license and yes we have another one of those up our sleeve.

Danny: Oooh any hints?

DSTchuck: That was it-- still legal issues but if you think HARD you will get it bu its NOT a big deal just appropriate for MM

DSTchuck: GI JOe TF adn SW are dead issues but I ask every year - I did AGAIN at TF I think Paul at Lucas was going to slap me in the head.

darkredshdow: Will universal mostersminimates be sold at universal studios florida

DSTchuck: If they buy them, so far they are not sure

Lobsterman: With Minimates Max coming down the pike, are movie licenses winding down, or will there still be one-off box sets *coughPrincessBridePrettyPleasecough*?

DSTchuck: Who says they are winding down, no door is closed.

TBT--33-: Does chuck have a question for chuck?

DSTchuck: Chuck to chuck- why exactly did you offer to do this...the Celtics are on!

mav-man: Mine was about boxsets for next generation or voyager?

DSTchuck: We kind of have a spot on the schedule for a TOS theme box set but honestly I doubt we do it in 2010

Shanester: miry?

Mirymate: Oh... geez...

Mirymate: sorry

Shanester: pass?

TBT--33-: we can come back to you if you have stage fright

Mirymate: Kang?

Shanester: LOL

DSTchuck: Your kidding right?

Modefan: They TRU Marvel sets have been really popular in my area - is there any talk of doing a best of wave for marvel like you guys did with ghostbusters?

DSTchuck: I don't know about a BO for Marvel its more a always evolvign line where GB is more finate adn set or movie based . Best of for Marvel is more like brining back Spidey every chance I get

Lobsterman: So who would go in a Best of Spidey wave...

DSTchuck: Wolverine of course!

NorthRaider: so what's the story behind Tarot, Chuck?

DSTchuck: Jim is the nicest guy ALIVE and one of the first guys I talked to about a license when I came to DST so I payed back a debt I don't think he knew I had - plus why not.

DSTchuck: Its good to be the king - See DSS...

Resurrection_Bob: Are the Mark IV and VI Iron Man mates a different shade of red than the Mark III mate? I love what you're doing with the helmets this time around and wouldn't mind retrofitting my old Iron Man if the colors match.

DSTchuck: I think they chaned the colors at the studio like 5 times...even for Whiplash...I have NO idea why.

brobotc: yeah i remeber whiplash being orange

DSTchuck: Still is in the previews! LOL

Scourge: When are the IM 2 mates (wave 35) scheduled to hit comic book shops and TRU?

DSTchuck: I think the army builder cases are live TRU is in transit to their stores, Borders should have for liek 4/1 and comic stores couple weeks later..

super_spider_piggy: Any MiniMates that were never shown to the public?

DSTchuck: Yup lots!

Shanester: can I have them?

super_spider_piggy: Any specific ones?

DSTchuck: Yup they are all specific

the_punisher-D: Ok, you personally hate 2.5 bodies and above, but when you look at a few of the Hulk's (mostly Ult.), can you you're proud at how he turned out? Good attempts at bulk, but it doesn't work! Was it your decision to leave bigger bodies out of the Marvel contract?

the_punisher-D: Don't mean to be negative either, always like what you put out.

DSTchuck: I think lots of the early stuff is cool and I love the simplicity and I miss that but I'd re-do lots of them. Marvel was VERY specific with the license I'd have asked for everything for the heck of it at least.

DSTchuck: Say what you feel guys who know me know I don't duck anything.

vbpanizzi: Thanks for being here Chuck. What are your favorite kind of cookies?

DSTchuck: Choc chip made by my Pop when he was with us, but now you can't beat moms.

vbpanizzi: I won't have your mom's but i will bring you some

DSTchuck: I'll trade a BB for cookies! But you taste them in front of me first.

vbpanizzi: awesome that was my idea

battlecat: Does the new Goblin glider (which rocks by the way!) mean your vehicles ban has relaxed in the Marvel deal? ie. Could we get a hoverchair Xavier or firey-bike Ghost Rider now?

DSTchuck: No sure relaxed but we slide in what we can when we can.They are good peeps though- really

boyd: What happened to having an army-builder in the TRU waves? (and many thanks for getting Minimates back at TRU)

DSTchuck: Did I say I was going to AB in TRU???

boyd: No, but the first few waves all hadone, and then they stopped.

boyd: I miss them.

DSTchuck: We've changed LOTS since then -- lay the waves out in an Excel sheet some day with dates and take a look, see if you can pick up the changes and paterns, thats you home work.

NorthRaider: oh believe me, some of us have

Shanester: dang, nobody said there'd be homework!

brobotc: will gruesome gator/gator gaurd be a giveaway at comic-con this year,and will he change colors again?

brobotc: san diego comiccon by the way

DSTchuck: BB is changing colors for shows but still not 100% sure whats up for SDCC I had an idea but might not be time

TBT--33-: so did you miss us at SDCC this yr chuck ? ( refering to te fact that Shane and I usually bug the heck out of them at SDCC)

DSTchuck: I was SO drunk after Sushi this year I thought about the time I ran into you guys on the street and was like OMG if they see me now I might even agree to do Kang!

Shanester: LOL

TBT--33-: LOL at least I got a hug a few yrs back

Shanester: yeah, good times

Shanester: we are harmless, just fans

DSTchuck: Free hugs for Sake!

TBT--33-: can I throw one in while we wait? - Chuck how many marvel characters have you guys done art for that havent seen production (yet)?

DSTchuck: Less then you think!

Danny: Chuck, can you give us any more info on the carry case you said we might get by the end of 2010?

DSTchuck: Nope its still a idea in my head but I tossed it over to Robert to do some work on it 'cuse I not too smart...

DSTchuck: Not kidding no idea for SURE about the case but I think it will work

darkredshdow: In 1 of my threads you said that a bttf boxset is verry possible for the 25th anniversary...any info on dat?

DSTchuck: I think I had that one already, we're going to work on at in a few weeks and see what we get. 90% sure at this point

Lobsterman: Now that DSS is done, what's your new dream license, if you could do anything at all?

TBT--33-: bets on bruce springsteen mini's

DSTchuck: SW, DC Blade Runner, so many and BRUCE!!! I have 2D of a BTR Bruce for my avatar!

*lots of excitement about bladerunner from forum members*

DSTchuck: None of them will happen

Mirymate: (let's see if I can form a question now that the kids aren't hanging on my arm) So far every silver sealed TRU exclusive has related somehow to a 4pack. So was the WWH/MrF tied to a future Hulk or FF pack?

DSTchuck: Hmm maybe more FF are coming- I'd have to check

Killek: How many new sets are planned for this year already?

DSTchuck: Several exclusives and a couple for specialty- that ok for now? More info soon

Modefan: Any chance of a moden x force pack with a new archangel?

Mirymate: hints would be better, but that will do

DSTchuck: Not in 2010

DSTchuck: Think Rob L.

NorthRaider: okay Question 1: what's your favorite minimate accesory to date, Chuck?

Shanester: date her, I hardly know her

DSTchuck: Not an accesory fan I always lose them.

NorthRaider: any chance of more Inhumans to go with Black Bolt?

DSTchuck: Check the patterns and see what you think.

NorthRaider: okay, last one: no chance at all of reviving that old resin playset you solicited back in Previews?

DSTchuck: We sold that at COST and it tanked -- super sad. Everyone wanted plastic but thats not possible

Resurrection_Bob: I actually have a Marvel Select question; not sure if that's outside your sphere of knowledge...

DSTchuck: MP

DSTchuck: I can handle it -- you know who I am right???

Resurrection_Bob: Just thought I'd check first, the chat's for Minimates after all. Earlier today I saw a packaged MS Mark IV Iron Man on eBay and the eyes on his mask were not painted. Is that how the figure is going to be released, and if so, why is it that way? (And, by the way, thanks for all the Ghostbusters

DSTchuck: Eyes are white with Red border just like on the poster...

Scourge: Have you guys seen any control art for the Thor movie yet? I'm assuming you guys are gonna be making minimates based off the movie?

DSTchuck: I've seen costume fitting stuff for all primaries - thats all I'll say.

Scourge: Do you approve?

DSTchuck: Can't say- don't read into that please.

the_punisher-D: Have you seen the secondary prices for the Angel/Warpath pack? Any chance of us seeing it again?

DSTchuck: Never look at Ebay...We don't "re-issue" but that ones an issue I don't want to think about it honestly!

vbpanizzi: Is the Lab set dead or are you still working on the best way to produce it?

DSTchuck: NOT DEAD

Shanester: I have one, will we get to second tier guys in the UM line like Phantom of Opera and Hunchback?

DSTchuck: We've got three years of UM planned if we go to four or five why not.

LDroome: noticed that BD Wolverine and Cap didn't have the TRU exclusive sticker. Does that mean that they'll be part of a future wave? What's the criteria?

DSTchuck: TRU sticker means its all theirs no sticker means we COULD but not that we will..make sense?

murderofcrows: Chuck do you ever look at any of the comics or pic stories the members post on here?

DSTchuck: Not really we like that you guys do that stuff but we're going to stay out of it, its a organic thing thats come from fans so better if I keep out. Make sense?

TBT--33-: here's a quick one Chuck... How tall will stilman actually be?

DSTchuck: I think I measured the Stilt man for the last Q&A I do not recall it off the top of my head.

..... Was the end of the Q&A's

DSTchuck: Ok guys thank for coming out for this I hope it was what you wanted it to be..send stuff into the AA Q&A I answer all of them..I'll do another one of these if you want in a couple months. Props to all of you.

.... Implies we might be able to get Chuck to do this again some time & here's how it all ended....

TBT--33-: final group hug with chuck in the middle?

Shanester: Good Night Chuck. Thanks again.

NorthRaider: *hug*

murderofcrows: i will bring Tang if you bring Kang

the_punisher-D has left.

boyd: everybody squeeze!

DSTchuck: Hugs

Danny: *hugs NR*

brobotc: hugs

Resurrection_Bob: *hugs*

darkredshdow: stares...

Zombieboyfiend: quick check his pockets for mates

NorthRaider: man, are we a bunch of girls today

Mirymate: okay... awkward

vbpanizzi: :)

Trekker_42: Smiles politely and abstains from hugs.

DSTchuck has left.

TBT--33-: is that a minimate in your pocket or....

buttheadsmate: Avoids MOC ...hugs

TBT--33-: ELVIS has left the building.....

... that session went really well, I think. :lol:

Looking at the edited transcript? It went as smooth as silk.

But the real, unedited chat was more like sugar-high toddlers trying to drive in a demolition derby - a spectacle you have to watch knowing it's going to be a bloody mess.

It was fun, though. I'm more than willing to take part in another one if Chuck is up for it.

Edited by boyd

... that session went really well, I think. :lol:

Looking at the edited transcript? It went as smooth as silk.

But the real, unedited chat was more like sugar-high toddlers trying to drive in a demolition derby - a spectacle you have to watch knowing it's going to be a bloody mess.

It was fun, though. I'm more than willing to take part in another one if Chuck is up for it.

Yeah was kind of chaotic at first but it more or less settled once one or two of our most hyper members calmed down. I did have a panic when someone found the sound features though! - one or two quite words in peoples ears kept it under control though!

What people will miss is that there is sometimes as much as a whole page between the question and answer for some of these with banter and ohhing and ahhing. There was a brief discussion about the ultimate x men mates that spun out of one question but it got so spread out that I didn't include it.

Chuck is a good guy and will generally answer ANYTHING ( that his position allows) to the best of his abilities, If you get a chance to talk to him at a show it's always worthwhile.

T.

Yeah... I'll be the first to raise a guilty hand re: chat mayhem :sweat: I'm pretty sure I had something to do with the Ultimate X-Men derailing.

FYI, I just pasted my own version of the chat transcript to a Word file. 31 pages. :blink:

That was really cool and thanks a lot for spending so much time of rest of your life with editing the transcript, T-33! It was funny to read and it looks like it went pretty well. More or less. Some info was pretty surprising (i.e. "Rob L.") some was not so pretty but still surprising (i.e. no Wrecking Crew planed). Anyway, cool thing and I hope I'll be able to participate next time.

FYI, I just pasted my own version of the chat transcript to a Word file. 31 pages. :blink:

Dang, I didn't even know that many words do exist!

It was a lot of fun, really. And BHM never did ask his question. You could 'see' him typing furiously, but a question never arrived.

thanks Timbo for uploading that. I agree, Chuck has always been very cool when I bug him about GI Joe every time I see him.

Ok hear me out....I may be readeing way into this, but I am taking his hint "HARD" as literally being a company, not a line...I am thinking of Hard Hero, who I believe are doing a line of Thundercats statues. They could be considered a smaller lineup, with only a handful of key characters for a boxset or two, and a wave or two of twopacks.

any takers?

Initially I thought it could be He-man, but that doesn't fit with Chuck saying it is not a big license. However Thundercats is a good guess cos unlike other 80s properties such as He Man and GI Joe, there's been no action figure reboot, so it isn't asbig a license as it could be.

Hmmmm... Thundercats... I don't know. I thought they were caught in some liscencing troubles since LJN went under. I know we've gotten statues, but there's this nagging thought in the back of my mind that says there's something keeping the T-Cats and their 'cousins' the Silverhawks (seems like there was an sea themed group too that never took off) from making any kind of serious comeback to toys and screen. Could be getting them confused with something else.

Wow. Thank you, Timbo, for condensing 31 pages into an entertaining and useful read. Perhaps my biggest regret is having missed interaction time with Shanester (he just doesn't get out like he used to).