UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Kubrick Talk

TBT!

I like Kubricks and am fascinated by the odd stuff they have tackled.  The difficulties in finding them and the lack of available info on them, is what eventually turned me off with collecting.  As I said earlier, I have a handful.  Mostly Star Wars.  I have a few from Ultraman, Disney, and a few odd balls.  Creature From The Black Lagoon is a favorite.  Tarkin is a great figure, but the ears are odd.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/1/2018 at 9:54 AM, buttheadsmate said:

I am one short of having the entire (100%) SW Kubrick collection ........I refuse to pay $300+ for any mini figure .  It will come one day . 

Last night on ebay I scored the final character that completes my Star Wars kubrick collection .......DX4 Imperial Commander  :banana:   'He' wasn't cheap but ... 

10 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

Last night on ebay I scored the final character that completes my Star Wars kubrick collection .......DX4 Imperial Commander  :banana:   'He' wasn't cheap but ... 

Big congrats! That is one hell of a collection to complete.

Just out of the blue I realised that ( after several years) there are some new kubrick releases https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/60546/New-Grand-Theft-Auto-Kubrick-Sets-Coming-September-14 

I'm wondering whether these are just a 'one-off' but it would seem (to me) unlikely that Medicom would just produce a few box sets & then just put the line back into hibernation ?

They're not dead!

How strange.  I will say that Grand Theft Auto has had an odd history with collectibles, though.  They released a single, 1/6 scale figure that was manufactured by Sideshow, but only sold on Rock Star's website:

http://toyhaven.blogspot.com/2011/10/grand-theft-auto-iii-10th-year.html

It was weird in that I wasn't aware of any other Sideshow figures, particularly at that time, that weren't also sold on Sideshow's website. And SSC was far from the go-to for exclusive 1/6 figures (most companies would look to Hot Toys).  Hopefully more Kubricks are on the way!

Edited by karamazov80

Didn't Kubrick produce GTA sets back in the mid-2000s? I remember running a behind the scenes article in ToyFare about their photo shoot for the GTA III toys, where they set a toy car on fire. Looks like they also did Vice City and San Andreas. With 5-packs for IV, V and VI, that'll be six sets, 30 characters, more than they do for most licenses.

There most certainly have been previous 4 GTA sets &, for a while, the last incarnation (San Andreas) was extremely hard to get hold of . You'll note that these new sets are ,confusingly, set IV (4) ,set V(5) & ...er...set V(5) 'Heist Edition' . 

Information on kubricks is always sparse but this list is invaluable  http://www.zachd.com/kubricks/kubricks.html   .

I can't believe that guy was still updating that page as of 2017!  You might want to copy and save that text in case the page stops going live at some point.  Notice he provides a link to the defunct Kubrick Nation forum. I see that Medicom has their own historical list of Kubs with pictures here: http://www.medicomtoy.co.jp/prod/1/

Edited by karamazov80

2 of these GTA box sets arrived today & on first inspection they are pretty little items. It's never wise to compare kubricks with minimates so I shan't be doing that without saying that kubricks are almost an entirely different beast & most importantly  bigger than 'mates. 

That said I'll also say that I am no gamer & I have very little concept of who these characters are, they are unknown to me . 

What I want to say is that these 'civilian' type characters are packaged superbly , I was once the guy that printed this type of stuff & it is just superb .

Medicom have (almost) done away with hairpieces ,each character either has a moulded head with hair or has a hat /mask & it works ...it works well .

Each character has an accessory & I'm guessing that these would be 'obvious' to anybody who 'games' . Medicom have always nailed their characters with small /simple hand held accessories which ultimately are almost a part of the character ........I'm thinking 'Lost' kubricks where each character had that accessory that you associated him/her with on the TV show.

12 minutes ago, karamazov80 said:

I can't believe that guy was still updating that page as of 2017!  You might want to copy and save that text in case the page stops going live at some point.  Notice he provides a link to the defunct Kubrick Nation forum. I see that Medicom has their own historical list of Kubs with pictures here: http://www.medicomtoy.co.jp/prod/1/

I have a hard copy which I constantly refer to ,it's invaluable . There are several items that he doesn't seem to list ....perhaps it's because their (Japanese) names are unfathomable . 

• 1 year later...

I just saw these listed on BBTS:

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/112032

Which reminds me of the never released Kubrick prototypes.  Probably the things I have most lusted over out of all toys.

ghostbusters%20series%201.jpg

Damn you, Medicom.  I'm sure Kubs won't happen, but they're doing just enough to string me along here :(

I never got the idea of Bearbricks. Kubricks are deformed enough already, and sticking weird ears on top of them just seems like a real easy way to limit any potential market you might have. The only Bearbrick I ever bought is Winnie the Pooh.

I'm no fan of Bearbricks although I have a few for various reasons ,one being that Medidcom went through a stage of forcing completists to buy a joint Kubrick/Bearbrick package . Another weird one is the Kelloggs 'secret' item which was a Puffa Puffa Rice Bearbrick ....insanely rare . 

Edited by buttheadsmate
sp.

• 2 weeks later...

I probably ended up with a couple of Bears due to BHM's generosity, but the only one I believe I actively bought was the one that came with the Indiana Jones Kubrick (Idol Bear).  I came damn close to pulling the trigger on this:

https://www.amazon.com/ROCKMAN-KUBRICK-BE-RBRICK-japan/dp/B002TG2ZTM

But couldn't justify the price.

I agree with you all.  However, it must be what sells in Japan.

• 5 months later...

Medicom produced 5 Kubrick/bearbrick Kaws sets & TBQH I have always had zero interest in them .Zilch interest.  What made them a little bit interesting was that they were packed with a Minimate size bus-stop accessory . There were 5 sets ,all much the same each with variant figures .....yawn.  Those 5 sets entered my collection ,unloved .  Four or  five years back I began seeing huge cases of these packs on UK eBay from UK sellers ,  being relisted again & again by the sellers & getting cheaper & cheaper . The shipping eventually became more than the item.:confused:

There have been several points over the last twenty years that I have questioned my decision to invest* in little plastic toys, the realisation that people couldn't even (almost) give them away had become a reality . 'Reality' should have told me that I should not buy cases of unwanted, unsaleable toys ........ I bought cases of them, telling myself that I could at least utilise the 'bus stops' one day, er...maybe.:unsure:

Anyway , it now seems that Kaws toys have become hot & ,if eBay prices are to be believed, I might not be as stupid as I thought I was :banana:

* investing in toys is not something I would advocate .

• 9 months later...

The last year has been pretty weird ,the lack of Minimates not helping , I have however been pretty successful at hunting down some kubricks that were missing from my collection . The damnedest thing about kubrick collecting is that you're never sure what is actually available or been available .  There are also some kubricks that, by rights, you are unlikely ever  to own purely because they were issued as part of a package or promotion . Ol' butt had just about given up on ever seeing them but collecting is all about patience & just recently I have scored 2 out of the 6 or so 'impossibles' & I'm inclined to believe that both came from sources that had no idea what they were actually selling ! Do I feel guilty ? Nope , I like to think that I am a fairly decent human being but when it comes to toy-collecting....... :no: .

Both of those kubricks are from the Ultraman licence & although I knew little about it ,I'm becoming more & more intrigued by it.  Anybody into it?

• 4 weeks later...

The POA kubricks were amongst the first released by Medicom & are accordingly quite naive . Regards buying them ,I would suggest buying a 'collection' rather than hunt them as individual box sets. Collections often appear on ebay.com ,very reasonably priced .  

Many people here would love POA Minimates but I think it is a bit too late to hope for them . If we did get POA Minimates I can't believe we'd get a Minimate horse .  Kubrick collectors got a kubrick POA horse 20+ years ago .