UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Character Building - Doctor Who

Aethyr

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. Somehow these don't look quite as obnoxious to me as the last DW minifig line(the Superhero Squad-inspired one) did. Granted, I'll never see these in stores here, but these don't look half bad.

No height description though? Somehow I got the impression that these might be roughly the same size as Playmobil figures.

Those I like. I hope they do other doctors and companions.

Too bad I promised the wife no new toy lines.... but maybe I can talk her into this one...

@NorthRaider: They look Lego size in the picture of the guy holding the doctor on a mini stand.

Edited by pickle

@NorthRaider: They look Lego size in the picture of the guy holding the doctor on a mini stand.

Oh, my bad. Didn't notice the scale/angle of that pic.

These are sounding more and more interesting by the minute. I'll bet that one of the planned construction sets is going to be a mini TARDIS. Any other ideas. though? The Pandorica? Amy's house? The ship from "Time of the Angels"? Interiors of the Starship UK? The War Room? Craig's apartment? :P

Note that Richard Hollis is Head of UK Licensing at BBC Worldwide whilst Underground Twats hold (held?) the US Licensing rights for Doctor Who. I haven't unravelled yet whether that is a good thing or a bad thing but remember Minimates cannot currently be marketed in the UK . These are undoubtedly Lego compatible...the dalek have cut-outs at their bases allowing them to sit on Lego bases.

Having said all that ,I quite like them & as I said the other day (somewhere here) I can foresee a time when articulated figures like Minimates may become more humanoid & less block.

I'm in . ;)

Edited by buttheadsmate

Hmm, for blocky figures the Doctor & aliens look good. The Daleks look amazing, though. I may have to beg some people in the UK to pick some up for me...

And speaking of Dr. Who news, Bif Bang Pow! announced that they got the rights to Mego-styled Dr. Who figures. Looks like the BBC is just handing out licensing rights like mad these days...

Boyd The Beeb is probably desperate for money, hence the licence whoring.

Both yourself and Northraider are welcome to drop me a line if these little guys get produced. Happy to help spread the Who love.

By the way, did I say 'WANT'?

No?

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT!!!

These are sounding more and more interesting by the minute. I'll bet that one of the planned construction sets is going to be a mini TARDIS. Any other ideas. though? The Pandorica? Amy's house? The ship from "Time of the Angels"? Interiors of the Starship UK? The War Room? Craig's apartment? :P

I see your Tardis, and raise you a Tardis control room. Hopefully one with working lights, sounds, and motion like the one Character produced based on the Control room for the 9th and 10th Doctors.

A control room from each era would be incredible. As would all 11 doctors and respective companions as mini figures.

Sadly I'd imagine character will concentrate on current Who rather than it's history. Still, these things are going to rock!

They are not bad. I'm not a Who fan, but I've a good friend that is, so I'm glad to see them. It will, at the very least, make Who customs pretty easy, since it looks to me like the unique parts will be compatible. Also, for any US buyers, I would expect that Forbidden Planet in NYC will stock these, and I might be able to make a trip there to help some of y'all out.

Edited by hellpop

Distinctive to the Character Building range will be the use of texture on some of the building blocks, whether it be the sleek and smooth edges of a spaceship, or the rough edges of a rock face

Perhaps the play sets will be similar to MEGA Bloks' (Halo, POTC, etc) brands in how they will look and be built.

I know ardent Who fans will snap these up but the new pictures from Rad (thankyou) aren't making me want them as much as I perhaps did. I don't think that these will harm the slim chances we already had of getting Who Minimates & I actually believe that it will help. Mega Bloks & Medicom (kubrick) both did Halo but it never stopped DST getting the licence.

I can see the attraction for an active dad ;) but no,not for me Rad, I am wanting to like them but despite their obvious attractions they ain't for me ....I'll wait for the Minimates . To be fair I'm a fan of Dr.Who & enjoy the current shows but I'm not into the old stuff as much as some . Don't get me wrong I'm not dissing the old stuff but I wonder how much kids today relate to Pertwee's Who for example ?