UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Licenses, What would YOU like to see Minimated ?

I wonder what it would take for Hasbro to actually license one of their own properties like G.I. Joe to another company for action figures? It's not like they're making any money on Joes right now. The same goes for Mattel and MOTU, but they seem to be purposefully keeping product limited.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

'The Thing' would be awesome i dont know how the monster would be done but i would love to own 'The Thing' minimates, and also DBZ. With the success of the first movie here in the US and how good the second is doing in japan also with the announcement of a new series coming this july having DBZ minimates would be a dream come true

• 1 month later...

Looks like The Dukes of Hazzard MInimates are a lot less likely.

Apparently WBCP won't be licensing the General Lee at all despite the fact that the Confederate flag is neither shown on the model kit packaging nor is it included in the decal sheet. It's a shame because a resourceful retailer could have offered a sticker sheet to make a Minimates car more authentic.

I guess Nazi Kirk and Spock are out of the question, huh?

patternsofforcefeat__index.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Not sure the last time I gave my wanted list in here, so here i go again....,

I'm pretty confident none of my wanted lines will ever get made, but this is what I want...

GI Joe

MOTU

DC comics/Animated stuff

M.A.S.K.

Hanna-Barbera everyone from Space Ghost to Dynomut and Blue Falcon, to Scooby and the Gang, and everyone in between

The A-Team with van

The Dukes of Hazzard, with The General Lee ....but would also love a cop car, Daisy's Jeep, and Boss Hogg's big ol convertible.

Battle of the Planents/G-Force/Gatchaman

Voltron

Micronauts

D&D cartoon

Smurfs

Inspector Gadget

Sesame Street

an all-star wave from toons like Silverhawks, tigersharks, bravestar, Sectaurs, visionaries

also something like the old adventure people, or husky helpers playsets.

could have a camping set, space set, underwater set, race car/motorbike set, construction set, police set, and an ambulence set, just to name a few.

Like I said, these won't happen, but its what I'd like to see.

• 2 months later...

I'd like to see:

Supernatural, which could be a box set with Dean, Sam, Castiel, and Charlie Bradbury or Crowley, and it would be awesome to have a Felicia Day minimate.

Spawn, though I heard Todd McFarlane is really particular about how he wants products of his comic made. Like I heard he would want a cape made out of cloth if there would ever be a Heroclix made of Spawn.

• 2 weeks later...

Voltron with scale robots that make a larger robot! Dean and Sam's Chevelle would be a must for Supernatural!

i would also love Naruto minimates! The Naruto series is highly lacking in the toy department... Like it has S H Figuarts but only like 4 characters? I need at least the 4-5 main squads and akatsuki! 

• 2 weeks later...

I think this was in another thread that was savagely obliterated in the great update, but I think the Blizzard license is something to look into. So many good games to pull from: Overwatch, WoW, Diablo, Starcraft. I think Overwatch would serve itself to minimates best, just due to the well known character selection. I also thought Blizzard mates could be executed in a similar fashion to the recent Indy mates comic book heroes wave.

My biggest wants from future minimates (not including Overwatch):

1. Star Wars: First off, we will most likely never see movie or TV show based minimates because those two platforms are so well covered by other toy companies, however I believe we could see comic-based Star Wars 'mates. I'm a little befuddled on this because DST has licensing agreements w/ Marvel comics to make certain characters, so can DST extend this agreement to include Star Wars characters since Marvel is now producing Star Wars comics? Also would those characters include ones created while Star Wars comics was under the Dark Horse banner, because Marvel now owns the rights to those characters and hence why they are creating epic collections of old Dark Horse comics? I don't know if these would be DST Zac questions? But I think it's worth a look.

2. Game of Thrones: Similar to other people's thoughts on this license, there is such a rich cast of characters that could be converted to minimate form, with the possibility for a few army builders. I think the show is extremely well-written and obviously pretty popular, and is certainly targeted toward adults which means less competition with other toy retailers; Funko and McFarlane seem to be the only companies producing GoT collectible figures.

3. DC: Would love to see a return to DC comics for minimates, doesn't have to be just comics, as we've seen the Gotham 'mates have done well, so maybe Flash or Arrow minimates, or even a line based on the old dc animated universe that began w/ BTAS.

Edited by OvenproofBug6

Crossing some licenses off my list either because I've lost interest or because I got my wish. Here are my updated cravings:

Alien

Austin Powers

Beetlejuice

Big Trouble in Little China

Blade Runner

Breaking Bad

DC Comics

• Arkham Asylum
  • Arrow
  • Batman v Superman
  • Constantine
  • The Flash
  • Gotham
  • iZombie
  • Legends of Tomorrow
  • Man of Steel
  • Supergirl
  • Watchmen

Firefly

Flash Gordon (comic strip)

Game of Thrones

The Goon

Hannibal

Hellboy

Heroes

Indiana Jones

Judge Dredd/Dredd

Men in Black

Micronauts

Mystery Men

Planet of the Apes

Pirates of the Caribbean

Prometheus

The Six Million Dollar Man

Star Trek

Star Wars

The Thing

The Tick

Underworld

Voltron: Legendary Defender

The X-Files

51 minutes ago, OvenproofBug6 said:

I'm a little befuddled on this because DST has licensing agreements w/ Marvel comics to make certain characters, so can DST extend this agreement to include Star Wars characters since Marvel is now producing Star Wars comics? Also would those characters include ones created while Star Wars comics was under the Dark Horse banner, because Marvel now owns the rights to those characters and hence why they are creating epic collections of old Dark Horse comics?

Lucasfilm owns Star Wars, period. They own all the characters created for games, TV shows, films, comics, radio plays, etc. Uncle George was pretty good about staking claim to everything. (And then he sold it all to Disney, which also owns Marvel, but I digress...)

As I understand it, Lucasfilm generally didn't have any interest in block figures in this region (North America). Obviously they've done Kubricks so there's precedent but, like you said, there are plenty of other product categories out there that are similar enough to what the Minimates brand brings to the table that it's probably not worth splitting a licensed hair over. (If you want minifigs, there's LEGO. If you want mix & match, Hasbro has Hero Mashers.)

That said, Disney's calling a lot of the shots now. There are different people making key decisions. DST already has a relationship with them thanks to The Muppets and Marvel and even the few Star Wars products they've offered previously. 

Contact your favorite retailers about wanting Star Wars Minimates. DST wants to do it. Lucasfilm may be apathetic but if Walmart or Target or Toys R Us says, "Hey, we're getting demand for Star Wars Minimates. Let's give it a try," then it's far more likely to happen.

My big concern about Star Wars is how certain characters might translate from the basic body to a full-fledged Minimate. With humanoids it's not a problem. Characters from Han Solo and Chewie to C-3PO and Darth Vader are relatively simple. Now try to imagine a Jabba the Hutt Minimate, or even R2-D2. I'll gladly leave that to Art Asylum to figure out.

I'd also want DST to have some kind of vehicle license, probably something with the same mix & match play pattern as the Minimates so you could swap TIE fighter wings with the ones on an X-wing. Vehicles are a huge part of this property, from the speeder bikes to the Millennium Falcon. It'd be a shame to be unable to offer ships specifically for Minimates.

25 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

My big concern about Star Wars is how certain characters might translate from the basic body to a full-fledged Minimate. With humanoids it's not a problem. Characters from Han Solo and Chewie to C-3PO and Darth Vader are relatively simple. Now try to imagine a Jabba the Hutt Minimate, or even R2-D2. I'll gladly leave that to Art Asylum to figure out.

I imagine a Jabba the Hutt minimate as standard arms on a standard body with a huge chest cap, and a sculpted tail piece and head piece. R2-D2 could just be a torso with legs instead of arms and a sculpted chest cap, head, and feet.

After the new movie I'm kind of indifferent on SW (honestly I think the plot of the PT was better, though the dialogue was atrocious). That being said if minimates of SW ever happened I would be instantly sucked back in 100%. If go broke from army building and customizing Clone Troopers (Republic Commandoes? ARC troopers? The 501st? Come on....)

• 2 weeks later...