UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Superhero BootLego

Nessex

I have been considering buying the Lego Blackbird for some time now, but it's about $80 + shipping here in Australia and i'm not in love with the Sentinel it comes with.

So - i have turned to the dark side. I took the plunge and have ordered the bootleg version.

Has anyone here had experience with these Lego imposters? The set cost less than half the retail price (and that includes free shipping), so i'm assuming the quality isn't going to be great, but is there anything else i should watch out for?

I've been considering getting the Deadpool set as well - but i might wait to see how the Blackbird goes first.

Bootlego.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you should mention this-- I started buying Lego bootleg figures not too long ago. I can't tell the difference, personally, but that's just the figures and not the sets. Be interested to know how it goes.

Yeah - i found a store in Melbourne last year that had little single-pack figures of Marvel & DC heroes. I bought a couple. They've clearly cut a few corners to use less plastic (unless Lego has changed a great deal since i was a kid), but they looked pretty cool.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see how the Blackbird turns out.

The minifigures I have are also very good. I'd reckon a child wouldn't tell them apart, but they do have differences on the legs etc. some slight colour differences too.

Let us know what the set is like, as have considered a few Iron Man sets.

Edited by UK Collector

The blackbird was marked down at Walmart for clearance a few weeks ago. I can look for it to see how much if you are still interested in the real deal.

Thanks for the offer, HJ. I've just paid for the bootleg copy, so i might just wait it out and see how it goes.

If it turns out to be total junk, i might ask you to see if it's still on clearance.

I will try to kickstart my brain tonight and take some comparison photos. The Hulkbuster goes nicely with the larger Lego Hulk. In fact, the hands are pretty much identical.

I have a couple of the big bootlegs, the Thing and Juggernaut, and I'm really happy with them.

One thing that does bug me about bootlegs a bit is that they are known to take the work of customizers and mass produce it. Lego customizers are a lot different from us in that many of them produce machine printed figures, which are almost indistinguishable from the real thing. So it seems that the bigger bootleg companies will take those designs without crediting the designer, which is just wrong. There's also this guy:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/40918268@N02/?ytcheck=1

I can't figure out if his work is his own, or if he's taking it from other sources. I do recognize the face on his Firestorm as being the one I designed for my Minimate... which isn't a big deal to me, as I used DST's Beyonder design sheet as my starting point. It does make me laugh.

Basically, I'm still too much of a noob in the Lego bootleg/custom world to know what's real and what isn't.

ive been collecting these bootlegs for quite awhile now i have hundreds, mostly Marvel and Dc but also walking dead and a few others. im happy to try and answer questions if folks have any about these, i also have all the Marvel and DC official Lego figs to compare to

Man, that Hulkbuster with a paint wash might be perfect

Funny you say that. I spent the last few weeks working on a paint wash technique and then using it on a 1/48 scale X-wing model I built up. I am happy with my skill level now, so I am looking at doing this and the Heroes United mail-away HB. I also got an airbrush about the same time and have become quite dangerous with it.

I got the only bootleg I own off ebay and it came from China. I got it for $4 shipped about 2 months ago. I am not sure if this Hulkbuster is actually a bootleg of an existing design, but it is definitely not made by Lego.

Do any of you have a recommend place for purchasing these? How expensive are they? Or is it dependent on character?

I've used Ali Express for mine, and they normally work out about a dollar each. The more you buy, the cheaper they are. e.g. One listing could be 10 Iron Men for $10, but then there might be a listing for 50 heroes for about $40.

If you got on Ali Express, type in 'decool' or 'block' and you seem to get the most results.