UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Super7 x Funko ReAction Retro figures

youbastards

So Super7, the company releasing the Retro Kenner ALIEN toys shown here:

SSVN10005.jpg

Have announced they have partnered with Funko and will be making similar "what if" action figure lines for the following properties:

- Escape From New York

- Predator

- The Terminator

- Firefly

- Goonies

- ALIENS

- Buffy The Vampire Slayer TV Series

- Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure

- Universal Monsters

- Back to the Future

There are plans for other properties too, but that was all they were able to announce. As a child of the 70's/80's, I cannot tell you how excited I am for these figures. The prices are steep, but the nostalgia factor is too strong for me to resist.

More info at the link:

http://www.figures.com/forums/news/38602-super7-x-funko-reaction-figures.html

Edited by youbastards

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of those could be great, but I hope they stick to period-relevant designs and styles, instead of just aping the original Alien style. Figures available in 1984/85 were more advanced than figures in 1979.

See, I hope they stay with the 'Star Wars' era design and articulation, just for a consistency to the line.

Boyd - a big :thumbsup: on the Adventure People toys, I remember those fondly and wish I still had them to pass on to my daughter. There was a tv news team and van that I would setup with my GIJoe toys a lot, which made me realize that the single greatest ReAction line they need: Anchorman! :D

It's a toss-up - my inclination is all figures keep the "Star Wars" design for consistency. But if the point is to make these the "missing figures" from the movie, then yes, the articulations needs to match the time frame. Artistic intention beats consistency.

Yeah, I can see wanting consistency, but like Boyd says, it really makes no sense to say that Bill and Ted figures actually produced at the time of the film would have looked like those Alien figures. My guess is they will maintain the simplicity of the Alien guys simply for cost issues, though. And I'm guessing Star Wars fans who are into these things will be happy about that, if true.

Anchorman would be hilarious in this style. Or even X-Men Days of Future Past (even though that one apparently takes place in the early '70s. . .).

Edited by karamazov80

If it's 1989, then yeah, I would say a TMNT style figure would best capture the period. The Dick Tracy figures were sort of in that vein. But the Toybiz type figures were also beginning to take over. By the early '90s, I think they best represented the smallish action figure market. GI Joes were way past their prime by '89.

I actually thought there were laugh.png But yeah, it kind of runs against their initial mission of filling in missing lines with what figures may have looked like had they been released at the time. There were Aliens and Predator figures, as well, though they were released in the '90s. Now, my guess is it's more of just giving folks figures to pose alongside the Alien ones. Pretending all those movies came out in the late '70s.

Like I posted earlier, I can definitely understand collectors getting into that. If these were more "what if the mid-80s GI Joe style never went away" I would probably be all over them. But that wasn't the motivation for doing the Alien figures, correct?

Edited by karamazov80

The motivation for the ALIEN line was someone discovered the original prototypes that Kenner made in 1979, and got the rights to reproduce them. Kenner had actually planned an ALIEN toyline until the 18" figure bombed at retail, but legend has it they saw the source material and backed out last minute.

http://comicsalliance.com/super7-kenner-lost-1979-alien-action-figure-series/

The ALIEN line is more or less a historic reproduction of a line that never saw the light of day, but due to the success of just this line, they've decided to expand it into more of a "what if" line of figures.

Like I said, I'd be happy with the "Star Wars" body for every line if that's their intention (like Minimates, or Kubricks, etc.)

And I'd love to see their version of the Dukes of Hazzard, if only for nostalgia for the Dukes figures I had when I was a kid. Oh, the good old days where Bo and Luke would team up with GI Joe to stop Cobra...

There's a company called Zica that is making similar figures for Six Million Dollar Man, looks like these have knee articulation:

ZIC10006.jpg

I'm not a big fan of that series, but it might be kind of cool to turn Bigfoot into Chewbacca for the classic Star Wars line.

Edited by youbastards

I don't know. I didn't have any of those. Klinger did have a lot of articulation though. I'm pretty sure he had a rubber band inside of him similar to the way the Joes worked.

Edited by karamazov80

I might pick up the Buffy ones, it's the only license there with more than one or two characters I'd want, and something about having them as old Star Wars figures does have a weird appeal to me. Not thrilled about Funko being involved though, their products always have such terrible QC when I see them up close.

I don't know. I didn't have any of those. Klinger did have a lot of articulation though. I'm pretty sure he had a rubber band inside of him similar to the way the Joes worked.

You're right, Mash figures had some kind of rubber band thing in their waists

FExploded_zps9c3e6940.jpg