UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Birthday Elephant 2015: Age of Elephantron

Welcome back to the annual MMMV Birthday Elephant gift exchange, which you possibly never left. 2014 expanded to dozens of members in more than two countries! A big thanks to all of last year's participants for making it a success. I will be posting positive feedback for all of the board members who took part in last year's exchange.

A lot of people have already expressed interest in this year over in the other thread, so we'll get on with the show. The Rules:

Participants in the MMMV Birthday Elephant gift exchange will be assigned a "birthday elephant," another board member who remembers your birthday and sends you something special.

1) The most important rule: Elephants. Do. Not. Forget. This will be a little trickier than Secret Santa, as you may not be in gift-buying mode when your recipient's birthday rolls around. Nonetheless, you will be expected to remember his or her birthday and send your gift within an appropriate mailing timeframe (2-3 weeks for US members, 3-4 weeks for international members). I'll send you a reminder email one month before your recipient's birthday, but if you're planning a time-intensive gift like a custom, you'll need to schedule your time accordingly.

2) There is no minimum trading feedback needed to participate. However, if you have been on the board for less than six months you need to contact me prior to signing up so you can be approved.

3) There will be two groups you can participate in: those who only want to ship within the United States and those who are willing to ship outside of the United States. See below for specific shipping dates.

Signing Up
If you want to sign up, please email minimatebirthdays@yahoo.com with the following info (with Birthday Elephant Info and your MMMV board name as the subject). For ease of recordkeeping, please don't send your information via PM.

Minimate Multiverse board name
Your birthday
E-mail address
Name and address for packages to be shipped to
Special shipping instructions (if any):
Are you willing to be a backup Elephant?
Do you want to only ship within the United States or are you willing to ship internationally.
Anyone you DON'T want to be assigned to for whatever reason.
Items you're interested in receiving or absolutely do not want.This should be a general list of reasonable items. Because this will be going on all year, new items may crop up on your wish list; if you'd like to send an updated list, please do so at least one month before your actual birthday.
Any additional info your Birthday Elephant should know.

This info must be submitted no later than Monday, January 12, to participate. Once I have everyone's information, Ill send out emails to each participant by Friday, January 16th. Youll be responsible for the name you receive (no trading allowed). People will be paired up randomly from within the pools of "US shipping" and "International shipping" participants.

Sending and Receiving Your Gift
As mentioned above, you'll need to remember when your recipient's birthday is and send his or her gift with an appropriate amount of shipping time:
International packages should be sent with a three- to four-week lead time (e.g.: if your recipient's birthday is Monday May 12, you should send no later than Monday, April 21).
US packages should be sent be sent with a two- to three-week lead time (e.g.: if your recipient's birthday is Monday May 12, you should send no later than Monday, April 28).
The sooner you can send the better; nobody hates getting an early birthday present, but a late one is kind of lame.

In order to give people with January birthdays a fair shot, the official gifting period will run from February 16, 2015 through February 16, 2016. So, if you want to participate, but your birthday is, say, tomorrow, don't worry, you'll still get a gift (it'll just be a bit of a wait...)

When you receive your gift, please post in this thread with pictures, guesses of who sent it, and thanks to your Elephant. By posting here, itll be easier to keep track of who has received their packages. And for those who cant guess their Elephant correctly, I will reveal all in one year, in February 2016.

The minimum amount to spend is $10 (US).

There is a minimum, but no maximum. If you want to shower someone with gifts, thats awesome, but just make sure youre prepared to possibly receive a gift from someone who can only afford $10. And however much you spend, please be considerate and not send anything that could be deemed offensive.

Worst case scenario
If you can't send your recipient a gift, please, please, please contact me as soon as possible.

By signing up, you are expected to send something. If you feel you can't live up to your end of the bargain, please don't sign up. This event is running over the course of a year, and I know circumstances can change a lot in that time; if something happens after you've signed up and you are unable to fulfill your duties as a Birthday Elephant, please contact me as soon as you know that you won't be able to send a gift so that an alternate Elephant can make sure your recipient gets a gift.

Again: please, please, please contact me as soon as you can if something goes off the rails and you can't send a gift. I plan to make sure every participant gets a gift one way or another so please try to be respectful of everyone else. For anyone that is unable to (or chooses not to) send something and doesn't work it out beforehand, you'll be banned from future Birthday Elephants and you'll receive appropriate feedback in the Feedback Forum.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here or PM me if you need to. Thanks in advance to everyone interested in bringing birthday surprises to their fellow 'Versers and making this the coolest forum on the internets!

Edited by Lobsterman

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will get my info in soon, but this is for 2015-16, right? I am not sure I really want to get in a hot tub time machine DeLorean with you guys and relive 2014.

There was a lot of interest in the Birthday Elephant exchange this year. I'm doing my best to get everyone paired off and information sent out this week. For those who have recipients in February and March, I'll be sending yours first; keep an eye out in the next day or so. If you signed up and haven't gotten an email by the end of the week, please let me know.

Thanks for your patience!

----

EDIT

let's make that end of next week. I've sent out all of the Elephants with birthday recipients through June, so there shouldn't be any immediate issues with timing. Thanks for your continuing patience...

----

EDIT

Okay, all of the Elephants have been assigned and had instructions emailed out. If you signed up and haven't yet received and email, please let me know. The first recipient is less than a month away, so let the Elephanting begin!

Edited by Lobsterman

• 1 month later...

I received this beautiful custom statue from my Birthday Elephant:

mmstatue_zpskxnnfdsx.jpg

I absolutely love it, and I already have it on display. He also sent me some Doctor Who books (which I actually saw at the store recently and wanted!) and some dried food in case of a zombie outbreak. :)

P1020059_zpsxy4yb4de.jpg

A HUGE thanks to Lurch! Between the BHM book from the 2014 round, and now this statue, you are really on a roll!