UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Alien Minimates 35th Anniversary Box Set

Here's the official solicitation:

A Diamond Select Toys Release! It's been 35 years since Ridley Scott's Alien set a new bar for both science fiction and horror and created a world that still amazes and terrifies us! DST is honoring the film that started it all with a special box set of four Minimates mini-figures, including Ripley, Kane, Parker and the Big Chap hiself, the original Xenomorph! Each fully poseable Minimate stands approximately 2 inches tall and features a variety of interchangeable parts and accessories, including a facehugger alien and the ship's cat, Jonesy! Packaged on a blister card.

Very much looking forward to the second set to complete the crew. (Subtle hint.)

post-160-0-19342900-1403106730_thumb.jpg

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Ripley's looking even more generic than I expected. I'm sure Fox doesn't want to piss off their Avatar star over 35-year-old likeness issues (whether it's within their legal purview or not) but, yeah, I was hoping for longer hair.

But, hey… Jones!

Yeah, Ripley's looking even more generic than I expected. I'm sure Fox doesn't want to piss off their Avatar star over 35-year-old likeness issues (whether it's within their legal purview or not) but, yeah, I was hoping for longer hair.

But, hey… Jones!

I can't help but feel like I'm falling into a trap ........?

We've had a good-looking Sigourney or two before ?

Different studio. Different licensor. Makes all the difference.

Weaver has three pictures lined up at Fox (all with Aliens director James Cameron) and she plays a pivotal character.

I don't think she's got anything as lucrative going on at Columbia.

That said, I read that Fox did manage to get her to sign off on likeness rights but it may be at an additional percentage and require third-party approval (like Universal Monsters and Bela Lugosi's estate).

Hopefully her hair's just in a ponytail like karamazov suggested.

I may be wrong but pretty sure that is a reuse of Beyonder's hairpiece.

fig0888flg.jpg

hail Ivan

Regardless, it's still a damn fine set! I see facehugger is noted as an accessory, hopefully a chestburster attachment for Kane too?

Different studio. Different licensor. Makes all the difference.

Weaver has three pictures lined up at Fox (all with Aliens director James Cameron) and she plays a pivotal character.

I don't think she's got anything as lucrative going on at Columbia.

That said, I read that Fox did manage to get her to sign off on likeness rights but it may be at an additional percentage and require third-party approval (like Universal Monsters and Bela Lugosi's estate).

Hopefully her hair's just in a ponytail like karamazov suggested.

Now I am as learn-ed as you .....but I thought the likeness issue was a no issue with minimates ?

Now I am as learn-ed as you .....but I thought the likeness issue was a no issue with minimates ?

Technically, no, it isn't an issue. It's protected in the U.S. as parody since the resemblance is more of a caricature. (No noses help.)

But as with Universal Monsters and Bela Lugosi, even though there might be a deal in place to use the performer's likeness, Fox might want to keep from upsetting Weaver because she continues to be a valuable asset to the studio and its billion-dollar director. Politics can be as effective as the law.