UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Comic Cover Replication Contest!

luke314pi

Comic Cover Replication Contest!

xmencomicresized.jpgxmenminimatesresized.jpg

It's time to re-create your favorite comic book covers using Minimates!

It has been a few years since our last comic book cover contest, and this year we have new voting categories and some AWESOME prizes generously donated by Diamond Select Toys.

===============================================================

Rules:

1.) Each entry must provide one picture or scan of your creation from an existing comic book cover (no interior scenes) in this thread.

2.) Each entry must also provide one sample picture of the source art that you are using for your creation.

3.) Custom minimates are allowed but not necessary (see categories below).

4.) You can use any physical materials for your design, and optionally any digital photo editing software as well (again, see categories below). Hand drawn and digital artwork is also acceptable.

5.) This must be a new creation from the start of this post, and must be your work entirely. Previous contest entries are not allowed.

6.) Only one entry per person.

7.) Anyone can enter, including international members.

8.) Each person can only win one prize pack. If one person wins in multiple categories, the prize packs will go to the runners-up.

Dates:

Entries will be accepted between now and Saturday, September 10th at 11:59 PM CST.

Voting will begin September 11th once Contest Gallery has been posted and will run through Tuesday, September 13th at 11:59 PM CST.

Winners will be posted September 14th.

Voting Categories:

The PM ballot system will be used for voting. We have 5 categories in this contest, with 5 prize packs. Here are the categories:

1.) Best overall comic cover

2.) Closest reproduction of original cover

3.) Best use of a custom figure in the cover

4.) Best photographed cover without digital photo editing

5.) Best "thinking outside the box" creativity

You will vote for one entry per category!

Anyone can vote, even the participants. If you are a participant, you cannot vote for your own entry in any category. During the voting period, please send all ballots by PM to me.

Prizes:

The top winner of each of the 5 categories will receive the following prize pack:

FYZbNl.jpg

One of each SDCC Exclusive Minimates MAX single-bagged figure

iweHFl.jpg

One of each SDCC Exclusive Calico Jack single-packed pirate

G4ECYl.jpg

An UNNUMBERED SDCC Exclusive Calico Jack 4-pack box (the 250 numbered ones were all given out at the show)

SUurAl.jpg

Some cool DST cards from the con

lCSurl.jpgdZRWil.jpg

EHNRtl.jpgmWm1el.jpg

4 SDCC Exclusive Posters

Aside from these 5 winners which will be chosen by votes, I will choose my favorite runner-up from the remaining entries to receive a Gold Battle Beast:

Axlrkl.jpg

So yes that means there are 6 chances to win!

Zach from DST donated these awesome prize packs at SDCC, so a big thanks to him! And also a big thanks to Storm 1:08, who was our official MMV representative at SDCC, and gathered and shipped all of these prizes to me. He has another HUGE minimate prize from DST, but that one will be part of a separate contest in October. ;)

This contest is also separate from the other contest that Lurch is hosting, although the two will link together. :D

If you have any questions, please post them in this thread.

Good luck and have fun!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful, i wasn't around for the first one, this'll be fun. :D Must have the Firegirl poster :lol:

Storm sent me an extra one. She is hanging in my garage. My wife got a kick out of that. :)

Yeah, that's the main thing I'm after too if the Firegirl poster. I'm gona have to be on top of my game this time around.

Wonderful, i wasn't around for the first one, this'll be fun. :D Must have the Firegirl poster :lol:

Storm sent me an extra one. She is hanging in my garage. My wife got a kick out of that. :)

Yeah, that's the main thing I'm after too if the Firegirl poster. I'm gona have to be on top of my game this time around.

She's just so awkward that it seems right haha. Going to college, figure it's the pin-up era :lol:

Luke: Will using Comic Life count as "digital editing" even though none of my pics will be photoshopped in any way? CL will just be used for title lettering and panel placement.

Yes it will count as being digitally edited. If you want to be counted for the "no digital editing" category, I would suggest printing out your designs on thick cardstock paper, and using it to frame your scene, and then taking a picture of it. Others have used this method in previous contest with good results. This category is all about purity! However even if you use CL, your entry could still count for most, if not all of the other categories (depending on your content).

awesome job MYTE!

I have a question. Is the title/logo and such required? I have an awesome idea but don't want to ruin the whole picture by adding MS paint quality lettering because that's about how far my skills go with something like that. :P