UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimates Central is closing

This is an immense loss for the community. Minimates Central, for all the teasing I ever did at MMHQ, was the entire inspiration behind Minimate Headquarters. Simply put, if there had never been a MMC, there would never have been a MMHQ. I never even considered trying to do a website until I saw the beautiful work put into Danny's site. I stole Danny's ideas down to the very name (what's my thesaurus say is a synonym for "Central"? Ahhh..."Headquarters"! That works!) Danny took it all in stride and never hesitated to lend me a hand with Minimate Headquarters. Last summer I was feeling very frustrated about the amount of effort I was poured into the site, and it was Danny who reminded me why I started doing it all in the first place: For the sheer enjoyment of the collecting hobby.

Without question, Minimates Central was THE portal into the Minimate collecting hobby for the hundreds (if not thousands) of enthusiasts who regularly buy and collect Minimates. Danny's site quickly launched itself up to be the NUMBER 1 search result on Google for "minimates" and has held this position ever since for years. Simply amazing. Fans time and time again credit Danny's MMC as their first look into the hobby of Minimate collecting.

Yet none of this ever went to Danny's head, and he has remained the nice, friendly guy he has always been. In the years I've known Danny online (first as Divebomb, then as Danny) I've never seen him be anything but courteous and welcoming to people. He's a real, genuine guy and a role model for behavior in an online community.

At the end of the day, I understand the need to step back from an endeavor like running a website. As time goes by, the blood, sweat and tears you continue to pour into creation becomes more of a chore. Websites love your time, but at no time will they ever love you back.

We will miss you, Minimates Central!

Well, I'm pretty new here and was just getting to take time to look around. I'm a new minimates collector that was spurred to look for info about BSG minimates and was looking forward to all the other products like Star Trek & Back to the Future that are coming soon. - it's been a really fun place with lots of talented and devoted people and I'm sorry to see it go before I really got to participate.

Thanks to you guys, I got to get in on the AA/DST Target Minimates giveaway.

Well, since BSG brought me here - I'll close on that note.

Oh Frak! Hate to see you go.

Regards,

Well, I'm pretty new here and was just getting to take time to look around. I'm a new minimates collector that was spurred to look for info about BSG minimates and was looking forward to all the other products like Star Trek & Back to the Future that are coming soon. - it's been a really fun place with lots of talented and devoted people and I'm sorry to see it go before I really got to participate.

Thanks to you guys, I got to get in on the AA/DST Target Minimates giveaway.

Well, since BSG brought me here - I'll close on that note.

Oh Frak! Hate to see you go.

Regards,

I think you're slightly confused it's minimates central that's closing it's doors..

WE aren't going anywhere, MiniMatesMultiVerse will still be here.

So dont run off just yet ;)

T.

Thank you all so much for your kind words. They mean an awful lot to me. I have always enjoyed being a part of this amazing community, if a little embarrassed about how influential Minimates Central appears to be. I always maintained that the reviews I wrote were my thoughts only, and am surprised how many people took them to heart.

As JP says, you have to put a lot of work, heart and soul into running a website and that is the aspect I feel that I am not doing properly, I know haven't done so for a while. The amount of time and commitment needed to photograph/review Minimates and update the news page is now sadly beyond me. I am not getting rid of my collection, nor will I stop buying Minimates in general, I am still really looking forward to the Spidey 3 Minimates, for example.

I am talking to Ady about getting Minimates Central hosted on the same server as MMMV which would ensure its survival as an archive.

Thank you all again for your support and friendship over the last nearly-four years. I am very touched by this thread.

(cue dramatic background music)

As the Golden Age of Minimates begins, those whose hard work brought it about slowly begin to fade away. First, Ady hands over the reins of MMMV to Shanseter, and now this bullet in the chest. A new Generation has arrived. I too can blame Danny for my collection. He collaborated with TRU to begin my collecting. Well JP, without Danny I guess your site will have to fill in the gap. I propose a toast: To Danny; Herald of the GOLDEN AGE OF MINIMATES!

May the boobs be with you.

(damn, where is the crying smiley)

(end dramatic background music)

This is just a question. Is there a way that might make it functional for people to take pictures and do their own reviews, and update the site themselves or submit them to a moderator? Sort of like a Wikipedia where any one can join in by submitting a review?

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

it is how i found this place. i am going to miss the wonderful reviews something fierce!

Thank you Danny for the reviews on the packaging as well. after seeing the review for the battle damaged captain america and the punisher, i had to have that box.

you do a fantastic job on reviewing toys. like i said already, i am going to miss them something fierce!

good luck and good hunting

Well, I don't have much new to add but I will be sad to see you go and would also like to thank you for the countless hours you devoted to your site.

You know, it wasn't until I read your reviews that I started to see minimates as more than awesome block figures but true action figures. It was your passionate detailed reviews that really made take a second look at the 'mates I had and want many, many more. I'd say Diamond owes you a BIG check. ;)

I'm glad I could help spread the Minimate word, that was my first idea when I started the site as there were no others which were exclusively dedicated to Minimates. Of course, there are several awesome sites out there now plus this amzaing forum, so the fandom is still well-served with Minimate goodness.

• 2 weeks later...

very sadly, I just took minimates central off my rss feed and changed it from being my home page :( . It was very hard. You will be greatly missed Danny. I doubt that there is any one who has not used your site at one time or another. I myself looked forward to your reviews with much excitement.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone. I am sorry to say that Minimates Central will no longer be updated. As you can tell with my lack of reviews and news, as well as my dwindling presence here, the site isn't being updated anywhere near regularly enough. My enthusiasm for the hobby has waned in the last few months and I do not have the desire or motivation to continue.

I have run this site for nearly 4 years, not a bad stint for one person, but now the time has come to draw it all to a close. The site will remain and hopefully still be a valuable resource for Minimate fans. I would like to thank everyone for their support over the years, the site has been a big part of my life and the community aspect of it has been fantastic. Special mention and thanks go to Timbo, Amazing.JL and AdyCarter, without whom Minimates Central would have been very difficult to maintain.

Thank you once again for making Minimates Central such a big success. Take care everyone and I wish you all happiness.

so sorry to hear - but just want to thank you for all you already have done - good luck in future

Ed