UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Wrestling Thread

hellpop

So I've seen throughout various threads that we've got quite a few wrestling fans here, so I thought it would be fun to have a proper place to chat about the goings-on in the squared circle. As I write this, we're waiting for Over the Limit tonight, which is one of the worst-built shows in recent memory. I'm assuming that most of us are excited to see CM Punk take on Daniel Bryan, but the buildup to this match has been baffling. Have they even cut a promo together? Part of me thinks that the WWE just didn't bother, knowing that the people that are interested in seeing this match will be interested no matter what, but it just kind of follows the curious booking of Punk during this championship run. He's somehow had a long title reign while being seemingly marginalized for basically the entire year. Anyway, if they let them cut loose, should be a great match.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't buy PPVs anymore, but have no doubt the Punk/Bryan match will be great, and that Bryan will lose (because they haven't built it up so that Bryan is a serious threat, if nothing else). The beating Punk received by Kane on Smackdown might give him a small opportunity, plus the fact that the WWE treats the title like a hot potato oftentimes, but I don't even know which babyface would challenge Bryan should he beat Punk, apart from leading up to another rematch. Cena seems preoccupied with other stuff (I fully expect either Batista or Big Show to interfere tonight and cause him the match somehow). I guess they could use Bryan as a transitional champ to get the strap back on Cena, who would then lose to Lesnar or some such at one of the forthcoming PPVs, but. . .not very likely IMO. More likely that Lesnar beats Punk who then loses to Cena (or even the Rock at Wrestlemania?).

On a sort of related note, I pulled my old "best of Bryan Danielson" DVD out of storage the other day, and forgot how awesome his match on there with Samoa Joe was. 5 stars, easily.

Edited by karamazov80

Best in the WORLD!!! Wearing my Punk shirt right now. YES! YES! YES! YES!

Edited by Webhead

I do watch WWE PPVs when they are free on SKY TV in the UK (and I remember they are on.) My son Tivo's Raw and Smackdown so I will fastforward through them sometimes when I hear there is a good match on.

I am more of an Indy fan I like to see where the current guys have come from and what they are not allowed to do in WWE to show up Vince's best bud's

The Danielson/Punk match to me can go either way they can put on a great match a wrestling clinic if you will but I dont know if its a lively wrestling crowd where they are if they dont get into it it may bog down.

I was a wrestling fan around WM VI then didn't watch it for along time, got back into it again when the original ECW when being shown years ago in the UK and I have all the ECW PPVs on VHS before WWE bought and withdrew the libary. One day I will get the connection and convert them to digital.

Now if I can I get ROH disks from a friend, they can be from any number of years but they are always fun to watch. (Kevin Steen is for me today one of the best mic men. really knows how to rile a crowd and reminds me of how Bubba Dudley could nearly cause riots in ECW by baiting fans)

back to WWE The one thing I am waiting to happen is for the fans to get behind " I,ve got till 5 referee" from Danielson

Is there a rumor that it might be Batista and not Big Show interfering in the Cena/Johnny Ace match? That would be better, at least, because Show interfering is just so obvious. I've been annoyed that Cena's angles have really overshadowed Punk; I felt that the Punk/Jericho feud never really clicked (though the two matches they had were very good, and I'd say their match at WrestleMania this year was the best on the card) in part because they were overshadowed by Cena. And HHH too; it's ridiculous that they used up the first segment on the go-home show before a PPV advancing an angle (HHH/Brock) that's not even part of the show tonight.

As for indie stuff, I've never really gotten into ROH, even though I'm pretty sure that I'd enjoy it if I gave it more of a chance. I should pick up one of those Danielson DVDs.

Looking fwd to Punk and Daniels and the four-way for the Smackdown belt. Could care less about Johnny vs Cena, however I may have to watch because of K-80's suggestion that Batista might show up. I'm glad that Punk has had the belt for a while. I wanna say right after Summerslam? We need some long reigns. I do like how Jericho has been putting people over since his return. Sheamus needs to keep his run going for a little longer. I just wonder what they plan to do with Bryan after this match.

This week of tv was pretty bad, I fast fwd'd most of it. At least Game of Thrones is on tonight.

Punk won the unification match with Cena at SS, then had Del Rio cash in on him. Then Del Rio was a huge flop as champ, so they put it back on... Punk? I think? I feel like Del Rio dropped it to Cena, then someone else had it, then Punk, but I can't think whom that would be. Anyway, it wasn't SS, but sometime last fall.

I read about Batista on Sideshow Freaks. He was rumored to come back apparently, and just shaved his head a couple days ago. Plus, "active" WWE wrestlers are fired if they interfere tonight, so it's wide open who might interfere, but neither Big Show nor Batista is active.

Personally, I couldn't care less if he did come back. I never liked Batista.

Jericho's feuds with Edge a few years ago and recently with Punk kind of fell flat. Surprising in both cases.

Technically Brock is not an active wrestler either so it could be him since he quit. BTW, Really glad to see Paul E. back. I like the douche bag heel Batista from his last run. The you were supposed to be friend, Batista. lol.

What do you guys think of the new talent/old talent rehashed coming in?

Damian Sandow

Claudio (Antonio)

Ryback

Darren Young & Titus O'Neil

Can't wait for Moxley

Personally, I enjoy them all but I'm bored to death with mid card. I like Ryback but realize he is limited but I like see a dude killing people. That, and I was liked Goldberg too.

Also, heard that King Mo signed with TNA.

I thought Batista was tremendous as a heel right before he left; it was the only time I liked the guy. If he came back in that role, I'd be all for it. Otherwise, I agree, he was never a guy I cared for. Anyway, I'd be kind of annoyed to have a third straight guy come back to the WWE to challenge Cena.

Jericho just took the pinfall in the fatal 4-way; looks like they're doing a "can he get it done?" gimmick with him, which could be good. I think his feud with Punk just never seemed to come together, for whatever reason.

I hate the Funkasaurus, BTW.

I'm enjoying watching Claudio Castagnioli on TV. Hoping he will get a real match with someone soon. They put him in a match with Tyson Kidd, which could have been great, but essentially made it a squash.

I don't care at all for Ryback, or for the Funkasaurus :yucky: They represent the worst of the WWE to me :lol:

I have to admit, I rarely watch Smackdown, and never watch NXT, so I haven't seen much from the new guys yet. I liked Rybeck a bit back when he was Skip Sheffield, and I thought the Nexus lost some momentum when he got hurt (well, that was just one of many times the Nexus lost momentum...). But I've always felt that just having a guy come out and squash the bottom of the card is a lousy way to get a guy over, particularly when he's twice the size of his opponent. It's really not impressive to see a big guy hit a series of power moves in two minutes, not to me at least.

So I saw a little bit of the PPV; I turned on at the tail end of the 4-way (which looked to be very good), and watched through the championship match. It lived up to expectations, yet it's clear that those guys are building to something. The finish was really good, too, but I won't spoil it for ya.

I like big guys who squash, when they seem like legit threats, are good wrestlers in some way, and otherwise know how to entertain. Ryback doesn't seem that way. I doubt he'll ever be a contender for a championship. He's no Big Van Vader or Stan Hanson. He's not even a Goldberg, who I never cared for, but I understood his appeal. Tensai has more potential in that department, but not that much :lol: I mean, he's freakin' A-Train.

I like big guys who squash, when they seem like legit threats, are good wrestlers in some way, and otherwise know how to entertain. Ryback doesn't seem that way. I doubt he'll ever be a contender for a championship. He's no Big Van Vader or Stan Hanson. He's not even a Goldberg, who I never cared for, but I understood his appeal. Tensai has more potential in that department, but not that much :lol: I mean, he's freakin' A-Train.

I guess I've just seen too many guys that never amounted to anything that were initially pushed by squashing people. In this post-kayfabe world, it just doesn't mean much.

So I ended up watching about half the show last night (don't worry, I didn't pay for it.;)). I turned it off after the WWE title match, and I'm glad I did, because the "main event" (sorry, can't use the term to describe this match) sounds as bad as I expected. If you haven't heard, the ending that everybody expected to happen happened, and before that we had lots of typical Cena comedy. Ick.

The other notable thing about the show is that the WWE pulled off one of my new pet peeves, in that they turned Christian babyface without bothering to turn him. He just cut a promo with Cody Rhodes, making it clear that we were supposed to cheer for him, and then came out doing his babyface stuff (you know, scanning the crowd, the get-behind-me clap he does, all that). They've done this a few times recently, where they don't bother doing anything to turn the guy, they just have him now act like a heel or babyface. And it really bugs me, because it's so lazy, and insulting. Why even bother having heels and babyfaces?

Anyway, if you haven't seen it yet, try to hunt down Punk/Bryan. I don't think it's the MotY (right now, I'd say that's the Bryan/Sheamus match from last month), but there's clearly going to be a rematch, and I think they're just whetting our appetites.

I would also love WWE Minimates; frankly, I think they'd be second only to Star Wars in potential properties for DST to pursue.

I was going to watch it as it was on SKY1 but I was snoring by the 1am bell time. the reapeat is tonight at 9pm so I will watch it then followed by the four episodes of game of thrones I haven't seen yet.

They should have had Lesner keep Cena off TV just so the guy can deal with his life at the moment. The Cena/Laurantis stuff just looks to me like a major watered down Austin/Vince rehash.

The other notable thing about the show is that the WWE pulled off one of my new pet peeves, in that they turned Christian babyface without bothering to turn him. He just cut a promo with Cody Rhodes, making it clear that we were supposed to cheer for him, and then came out doing his babyface stuff (you know, scanning the crowd, the get-behind-me clap he does, all that). They've done this a few times recently, where they don't bother doing anything to turn the guy, they just have him now act like a heel or babyface. And it really bugs me, because it's so lazy, and insulting. Why even bother having heels and babyfaces?

I would agree with you. . .except just turning a guy with no explanation isn't, to me, much of a leap from turning a guy from "bad" to "good" or vice versa because of a single incident. Wrestler X saves a good guy, therefore now he's a good guy! Wrestler Y hits a good guy with a chair after a match, and now he's a bad guy!

They should have had Lesner keep Cena off TV just so the guy can deal with his life at the moment. The Cena/Laurantis stuff just looks to me like a major watered down Austin/Vince rehash.

Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing, particularly now that Laurinaitis is just firing people as part of his angle. Unfortunately, Cena ain't no Stone Cold, and Johnny ain't no McMcMannequin

Edited by karamazov80

I would agree with you. . .except just turning a guy with no explanation isn't, to me, much of a leap from turning a guy from "bad" to "good" or vice versa because of a single incident. Wrestler X saves a good guy, therefore now he's a good guy! Wrestler Y hits a good guy with a chair after a match, and now he's a bad guy!

But at least it's something, an attempt within the ongoing onscreen story to explain why we are supposed to cheer or boo for a guy. It just speaks to the laziness of the booking staff that they don't bother to even come up with reason why said character has had a change of heart. But I do agree with you that it's pretty silly.

EDIT: I also wanted to add that the Christian/Cody match was totally dead, and I think that's in part because of the phantom face turn. I mean, those are two guys that can really work, and they really put a lot into the match (Cody even did a Moonsault, which I don't think I've ever seen him do), but they just couldn't get the crowd into it. Could be the post-Funkasaurus stink, though.

Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing, particularly now that Laurinaitis is just firing people as part of his angle. Unfortunately, Cena ain't no Stone Cold, and Johnny ain't no McMcMannequin

I have a big problem with this too. I don't really mind Cena going over Lesnar in their match, but if we're supposed to believe that Lesnar "won the war", Cena should at least be on the shelf for, like, a week, right? The thing that really drives me nuts about the John Cena character is that the wrestling psychology behind him is so bad. If you've taken a beating, sell that you've taken a beating! For a week, at least!

Errr... end rant. Sorry.:unsure:

Edited by hellpop

watched the PPV and what I never understand is their thinking sometimes. I understand Cena is the top guy but the match was a comedy mess up and while I didn't expect anything more it killed the crowd dead so they finish on a dull note. It went from roaring crowd to nearly dead silence. The only thing of note from that was the tubby guy in all the Cena gear with his family with his mouth open in shock when Cena lost.

The only thing of note from that was the tubby guy in all the Cena gear with his family with his mouth open in shock when Cena lost.

Then it was worth it after all :highfive2:

That guy's face was priceless, on a miz girl level

Just finished up the PPV today. Gotta say Punk & Bryan delivered as did the 4 way. Main event was average. I watched it in case someone came back. I did like the moment when Big Johnny quoted Booker. Made me laugh.

I'm also looking forward to Tyler Black's debut. Should be good, no clue on when. I understand why they gave Kassius Ohno as name for the elbow KO. I have not seen him in FCW but it sounds like he is winning matches by knock out. I don't get the current WWE names. I mean Michael McGuillicuty and Husky Harris was awful.

I agree on Vader. Vader for HOF!!!!

Off subject but. A expendables minimate set equals a stone cold minimate. I'd kill for some old school wwf minimates.

Anyone here attend mania?