UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

CustomCon 31

boyd

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love all the minimate goodness in just the first two days, a trend that I hope continues. Hopefully more people will see how much can be done with minimates!

I love the Freeze, one of the best versions of him I've seen :thumbsup:

And that Rocket Racoon is my favorite custom so far! I love ythe idea of make-A-mate too. How cool would that be if it were to ever happen.

Hey, Thanks gang! I couldn't wait to see what everyone thought of my customs, since I was just trying out something new. I want to give a huge thanks to TM2Dinobot for the cool backstories for these guys, otherwise they'd just be a couple of armored up minimates. here is a link to more/bigger shots of them, and I'll put some WIP shots in my customs thread if anyone is interested.

Custom Con Angels

cant wait to see what comes next!

Fantastic work to all the customizers who entered Custom Con. Outstanding showing of minimates this time around. I guess these little buggers are finally growing on people. :lol:

And day 3 doesn't stop the Minimate reign!

Scarecrow is the best of all these Batman customs. Great paint job and I especially like the unmasked version. Very cool!

And those 80s action figures? Hilarious, Luke! I needed to google most of them since I guess they never made it to Germany back then. But they look so... so eightyish it's totally tubular!

Luke, to keep in the spirit of things, I just have to ask will the production version of Krystar be translucent? :whistling:

Now on to the survey mentioned, while I had a few figures from many different lines, I have to say that I never had any for your 80's line-up. Maybe that is the reason I can't wait for their release especially the Krystar and Chuck Norris mates.

As for 80's toylines I had, discounting the ones that have already returned (Battle Beasts and Ghostbusters) or those that are still in some form of production (G.I. Joe, Thundercats, etc.), I'd love to see characters from Visionaries, Bravestarr, Rambo, M.A.S.K., Centurions, and Silverhawks.

It really is amazing work. I'm not a big Chuck Norris fan but just looking at that custom makes me think my collection is greatly lacking in not having one. It also makes me realize that the toys that the 80's needed most were minimates.

Here is a larger pic:

80s_Minimates.jpg

I made this set because I found my old Crystar figure a few months ago, and got hit with a wave of nostalgia for all the toys I had when I was a kid. I thought the best way to capture that was to make these as Minimates. I had no idea who these characters were when I was a kid, with the exception of Chuck Norris. I used him and Crystar as heroes. In my mind, Crystar was kind of like Iceman, except he could create walls of crystal instead of ice. The other characters here were used as villains. Most of them towered over my 5" Marvel figures, which made them much more ominous. :)

Ha! I love that Crystar, Luke. He was my favorite as a kid. Might just have to swipe that idea... B) And now I want to make a Liquidator Minimate, too!

Nice job to everyone. What a great way to celebrate Minimates' 10th anniversary!

Edited by Lobsterman

More great entries today!

Love the Batman customs today. Scarecrow is a great re-design of the character. And your version of Clayface is wonderful - the blank expression with glowing eyes makes him looks suitably creepy.

And Luke's 80's customs are brilliant! Love Chuck Norris and Super-Ninja. And Auger is wonderful - I'd love to see the rest of the Inhumanoids in the same style.

I wonder if the people from other boards are wondering what the !@#$ is going on with all these Minimate entries....:lol:

I made this set because I found my old Crystar figure a few months ago, and got hit with a wave of nostalgia for all the toys I had when I was a kid. I thought the best way to capture that was to make these as Minimates. I had no idea who these characters were when I was a kid, with the exception of Chuck Norris. I used him and Crystar as heroes. In my mind, Crystar was kind of like Iceman, except he could create walls of crystal instead of ice. The other characters here were used as villains. Most of them towered over my 5" Marvel figures, which made them much more ominous. :)

I loved my Crystar figure as a kid because he fit in perfectly with my Super Powers and Secret Wars figures (which were, of course, one big team). He was such a cool figure, and you really nailed him. Have to nitpick, though: Where's his helmet? His helmet kicked ass!

I don't remember ever having it, but I must have had it at one point. I used to have epic battles with my figures at this rock pile behind our house, so it is probably buried in there somewhere. :)

Behold!

CrystarComp1a.jpg

I lost mine at some point too. I think he turned into Colossus after that. :biggrin:

I'm pretty sure mine wtill has a helmet... but was last seen weilding a pair of "cocktail" cutlass swords as everything else was lost/broken. Trim down a Thor helmet, that'll work just fine. His brother/enemy Moltar is around here somewhere too... think he kept his whip.

Hey Luke, you made one of my alltime favorite dudes, Crystar! and believe it or not, the helmet fits on minimates quite nicely. How do I know? there happen to be quick customs of him and warbow down in my workshop! Never guessed there would be this much love for him. I never cared if I was playing gi joe's, mask, transformers, adventure people, etc.... those two were always on my toy teams! Bravo dude! Has anyone been following these guys? worth a look I think.

whhops, forgot the link...

Crystal Prince

Edited by Nervous

Thanks guys! Since DST keeps making the Marvel figures I want, I will probably keep making more quirky and meaningful sets like this one and Dead Alive for myself. :)

Nervous, there is some seriously cool stuff on that page! I love the Marvel Legends style Crystar.

Nervous, there is some seriously cool stuff on that page! I love the Marvel Legends style Crystar.

I am pretty sure they are going to be available in the near future. It's hard to figure out how and when, but it sure would look good in my toyroom!:biggrin: