UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Wars Fighter Pods

MisterPL

Someday, perhaps in my lifetime, Hasbro will grant the license for Star Wars Minimates. Until then they're giving us Fighter Pods.

These could be pretty addicting thanks to their cuteness but I have a pretty low tolerance for blind packaging. My daughter's into Star Wars (she bought into Galactic Heroes big time) and also spent a year collecting Gomu erasers. I think she's on the fence about Fighter Pods but that may change once she sees them at retail.

As for me... my wallet's thanking the maker these aren't Minimates.

For now.

Squinkies are from Blip Toys. If they're associated with Hasbro it's a Scooby-Doo mystery, especially considering they'd be cannibalizing themselves.

As for the demise of Galactic Heroes, I think they wanted figures that had more articulation and therefore more play value. Costs have been going up and I'm sure key retailers have been pushing for added value given the price increases.

After a visit with some very young relatives over the holidays, I was made aware of these Squinkies and their apparent popularity. A Star Wars incarnation does not surprise me at all. Star Wars Minimates = huge win...

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying real hard not to get sucked into another line of figures, especially ones that are about $2 each and in blind packaging. I know my "Collect The All!" weakness and I did my best to resist but when I saw a 4-pack at TRU today that included Chewbacca and a stormtrooper (two figures that started my 3 3/4" addiction back in '78), I chalked it up to kismet and caved.

Apparently a good chunk of the "exclusive" figures are offered in the blind bags but I noticed some come with the vehicle sets. Personally I'd rather have the vehicles than a bunch of super-deformed Princess Leia figures. Actually I'd rather avoid the blind packaging altogether but that might not be an option without resorting to *gasp!* trading.

Anyone else giving these micro-Galactic Heroes a try?

I also saw these last night and really wanted a Darth Vader but the only one in the open window package has his helmet off and I didn't see any Yodas or Boba Fetts (just Jango) So I didn't buy any of the big packs. I had my son pick one of the blind packages (I HATE blind packaging) and I got a Commander Cody and a Chewbacca. I probably won't buy anymore but can now say that I did buy one pack just so I could see them first hand.

The blind packaging wouldn't bother me so much if they included army builders.

Did the bag come with the checklist of figures? That lists which ones are "exclusive" though I'm a little confused as to what that means. I thought it meant exclusive to the blind bags since the text says something about including an exclusive figure but some exclusives are pictures with vehicles sets. For example, the 4-pack I bought included Chewie and Cody, though it might not be the same Chewie.

I resisted the temptation to start buying these. I actually walked around with some last night before realizing I decided not to buy these types of figures when they were called Squinkies. If they were released cheaper and in set sets of figures I'd buy into these but the price and randomness stopped me.

My wife has a shadowbox for her modest thimble collection. It's only got about 25 thimbles in it (with room for 100) but someone added four Fighter Pods figures recently. :whistling:

The blind exclusives are killing my interest in this line but my daughter – who collected Gomu erasers – loves them. She can spend her money on them and I'll collect vicariously through her. B)

• 1 month later...

I couldn't help noticing that opened blind packaging bags are littering the shelves at Walmart and TRU. One display had six out of 18 of them ripped into. I know there are collectors out there who LOVE this gimmick but when it leads to this, then I REALLY don't get it.

Honestly? Unless you want a very specific Boba Fett, no, there probably isn't.

That's one of the good things about the exclusive figures that are blind packaged; they're actually variants of characters available in other sets. So if you want ANY Boba Fett, you can settle for the one aiming his flamethrower gauntlet that's available in lots of visible sets. If you want the one holding his blaster, that's going to take some luck (or unscrupulous foraging).

I've never known Dinobot to be an unscrupulous forager but then again we are talking about a Fett fan. They're generally a shady bunch of hooligans. :tongue:

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the lowdown on Series One for you guys: (HINT: It's very easy to complete a set with very minimal extras!!)

The Blind Packs: There are 5 exclusive figures TOTAL. Plus, they come with one random non-exclusive figure. None of the exclusives are rarer than any other. The exclusives are differently-posed variants of other non-exclusive figures (Chewbacca, Yoda, Vader, Boba Fett, and a Clone Trooper)

The Four-Packs: ALL completely random with NO exclusives! This is the best, cheapest option for if you're missing that last 1-4 characters, just keep looking for that one pack. (I never needed to buy one of these!)

The Vehicle Packs: Each have a different amount of exclusives (at least Two), and ALL are visible! For the hidden figures in each pack, ALL of those are the random, non-exclusive figures. EVERY figure not exclusive to that set that is visible is completely random as well, so check different store's stock to find ones with the most figures you don't yet have.

SO:

BEST STRATEGY: Buy the blind packs FIRST. Second, buy the vehicle packs and look at the visible random non-exclusives. Avoid the 4-packs until the end (you might not need any of them).

IF you don't want a full set, I recommend looking at the AT-AT set to see if you like those exclusives, but I really recommend the mini-Falcon set with C-3PO and Chewie, as 3PO is only in that one set and really nicely done!