UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Character Building - Doctor Who

Aethyr

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure hope that Undreground Toys will announce the distribution of this series across the pond (like they already have with the plush line) at the New York Toy Fair.

I'm not particularly going out of my way to be grumpy & contradictory but Underground Toys may not be involved with this which may negate them being sold in the US & Canada at all !!! The way I understand it is that UT has sole rights to distribute BBC based merchandise in the US (not the UK) ....if they can't foresee that they'll turn a profit on these then they'll pass. I really hope I'm wrong but with that shower anything is possible.

OH fun, I want that 11 doctors set & Tardis exterior unless it's insanely expensive & probably some weeping angels and dalek army builders too please.

I'm going to be looking for someone in the UK to hook me up should these ever see the light of day. Like BHM I have little to no faith in Underground Toys bring them across the (Amy) Pond.

T.

p.s. Anyone else note they use a C3 tag ( Collectable, Createable, Compatible) too! :)

Well, I'm impressed. I think the main standout of this line, for me, is the 11 Doctors set. It looks fantastic and it's a nice surprise to see it so soon. I'd have figured they'd run with the 11th for a bit and then get around to the previous Doctors if the line did well.

Edited by Aethyr

I do like them, but I'm only going to want to pick up the TARDIS mini-set and maybe the 11 doctors set.

I didn't see it anywhere, but are these only going to be available in the UK or worldwide and at what stores......I may need some international help purchasing this set around Easter! ;)

I'm not particularly going out of my way to be grumpy & contradictory but Underground Toys may not be involved with this which may negate them being sold in the US & Canada at all !!! The way I understand it is that UT has sole rights to distribute BBC based merchandise in the US (not the UK) ....if they can't foresee that they'll turn a profit on these then they'll pass. I really hope I'm wrong but with that shower anything is possible.

I believe UT will be the only way we get these over here as I don't see anybody else (cause they can't, like you said) distributing them. I am truly hoping that they will see a profit and release them. This is me being extremely hopeful though.

I thought Underground Toys only released the 'Character' merchandise over here.

EDIT:Never mind BHM, I have researched and learned I am wrong.

I know QMX has a doctor who license for screen-accurate prop replicas, animated maquettes, travel posters and novelties which I am very much looking forward to.

Edited by pickle

Oh, you've gotta be kidding me! That 11 Doctors set is fanboy bait for sure! And Dalek army builders?! No fair! :(

Not sure if I'd bite the bullet on these though. Still iffy on the size. If I started collecting Lego then maybe.

The 11 Doctors set probably wins out in terms of accessories. Just from the pictures alone, there'll be a bunch of screwdrivers and an umbrella. If Character duplicates the accessories that were included in the 5" 11th Doctor Set, then we should see a walking stick and recorder as well... although that's speculation on my part.

Either way, there'd be a good number of accessories that could be customized.

I found some pictures of the H.M. Armed Forces series:

http://idlehands1.blogspot.com/2011/01/cha...-character.html

Given the amount of Military we have seen in Doctor Who, these would make nice complimentary sets.

Did I mention that I am excited about this series and am too impatient to get my hands on them

A mate pointed out to me the other week that HM armed forces were getting the character building treatment.

This is great for me, my kid get's the soldiers and vehicles while I nick the blue hats for UNIT soldiers! ;)

• 1 month later...

Thats a fantastic price point tbh.

These are going to sell VERY VERY well

In my enthusiasm to post I got it a little bit wrong. They're £8.99 from FP. RRP is £9.99.

I still think it's a good price though. Broadly comparable to Lego sets of a similar size.

I hope sell like hot cakes. Mini-figures are starting to become very popular in the mainstream.

I noticed yesterday in my local ChAvSDA that the box of Halo megabloks minifigures that was on display Friday was suddenly an empty box.

Thanks for the wicked awesome update Rad. I seriously cannot wait to get my hands on these sets. I just hope the other sets that were on display are released soon too.

Also, not CB related, the first North American 'Doctor Who Insider' Magazine was released yesterday in comic shops. I am on vacation, but am looking forward to it when I get home.

I like the look of those sets a lot, and will hopefully be relying on someone UKside to help me out.

Being this keen to get my hands on them feels kind of odd as I've pretty much given up collecting minimates, so perhaps I just need a new thrill for a while?

T.