UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Thor 2 coming Nov 2013, Will we get minimates?

monkeycrumb

No comic-based Thor assortment planned, but definitely movie Minimates. The designs are, as they say in Asgard, muy fantastico.

Good, if unsurprising, to hear there will there will be movie 'mates for thor 2 though disappointing if not even one new thor comic character gets made, simply because there doesn't seem like any other time they are likely to get made. Still. hopefully this just means there's plenty of time to plan the assortment...lol

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is there no other time to make Thor comic Minimates than during a Thor movie period? We make obscure characters all the time, and I'm sure Thor's characters are as likely as others. We aren't Hasbro, and Minimates aren't Marvel Universe, so making comic Thor Minimates when movie Thor Minimates are out hurts sales of both.

And Marvel may "frown" on multi-movie box sets, but our license for each film only lasts a relatively short period of time, like a year, so we'd only ever be able to mash up two movies, max.

Why is there no other time to make Thor comic Minimates than during a Thor movie period? We make obscure characters all the time, and I'm sure Thor's characters are as likely as others. We aren't Hasbro, and Minimates aren't Marvel Universe, so making comic Thor Minimates when movie Thor Minimates are out hurts sales of both.

And Marvel may "frown" on multi-movie box sets, but our license for each film only lasts a relatively short period of time, like a year, so we'd only ever be able to mash up two movies, max.

I wasn't suggesting that thor comic minimates could only appear when a thor movie comes out Zach, in fact I hope and am glad that's not the case as he's my favourite marvel hero and his minmate rogue's gallery/supporting cast is still relatively small compared to most of the other "movie stars". My thoughts were only based on past observation when it seems that often comic related releases for a character seem to coincide with their movies, eg wave 36 around iron man 2, TRU12 which gave us balder, crossbones etc. around the time of the thor and cap movies. Thus, a thor movie seemed a likely time for maybe a couple more. But you are right, you do frequently make obscure characters and that is a large part of the fun when it comes to guessing what you are going to release next, and I hope you know that's much appreciated.:)

You heard the man; we shouldn't be focusing our harassment of Chuck for Thor related characters once every couple of years at movie time. No! We should bug him about it all the frakkin' time! Excellent suggestion, Zach, I'll make sure I mention where it came from when I start the campaign.

By the way, just to remind everyone, the Hogun/Fandrall pack was set to go to Borders, and then Borders went out of business, and there wasn't time to find a new home for it.

I can't say I'm surprised that there won't be comic Thor figures around to movie; the combined Cap/Thor wave from a few years ago seems like one of the poorer sellers in recent memory. Honestly, Thor's supporting cast has been pretty well covered; we've gone deeper into the Thor well then anyone outside of Spider-Man, I think. Okay, we need the Warriors Three (or to at least finish the movie guys). And the Enchantress and the Executioner are among the more glaring holes in the Minimate line. But other then that? I can live without more Thor.

Oh, I almost forgot, except for one thing: FROG THOR. MAKE FROG THOR. YESTERDAY.

By the way, just to remind everyone, the Hogun/Fandrall pack was set to go to Borders, and then Borders went out of business, and there wasn't time to find a new home for it.

I can't say I'm surprised that there won't be comic Thor figures around to movie; the combined Cap/Thor wave from a few years ago seems like one of the poorer sellers in recent memory. Honestly, Thor's supporting cast has been pretty well covered; we've gone deeper into the Thor well then anyone outside of Spider-Man, I think. Okay, we need the Warriors Three (or to at least finish the movie guys). And the Enchantress and the Executioner are among the more glaring holes in the Minimate line. But other then that? I can live without more Thor.

Oh, I almost forgot, except for one thing: FROG THOR. MAKE FROG THOR. YESTERDAY.

I won't get into a numbers-crunch debate over Thor vs. Spider-Man supporting cast we have...

... but I will say that if we don't have comic versions of the Warriors Three, Enchantress and Executioner then it's a pretty glaring omission. For an old time Thor fan, anyway.

Nobody wants the Wrecking Crew more than me, but it's a tough sell -- four B- and C-list dudes either eat up an assortment or make up a 4-pack with a very limited appeal. And Thor's rogues will always come in second to Spidey's as far a recognizably goes. And FYI, TRU 12 came out in November, so...

Apologies, as my adding Enchantress and Executioner was a little misleading.

It was a comparison to the number of Spidey vs. Thor supporting character (good guys) 'mates we've gotten... and that I think Spidey has more than Thor, so that's one of the reasons why I'm really desiring a comic Warriors Three group and was hoping we'd see them released around time for the movie.

As far as who has the more recognizable supporting cast AND villains among the two, I agree... it's Spidey.

I enjoyed TRU 12 (and series 42) and it was indeed lots of comic Cap and Thor... but it was lots of Cap and Thor, not their supporting characters or more than 3 villains combined between the two-heroes.

I just like having a big selection of different comic book-version characters and, due to my upbringing on 1960's Marvel Comics, I'll never truly be satisfied 'til the Warriors Three are on my shelf with 1st appearance Thor, Sif, Odin and Hercules. *shrugs*

Edited by Mystery Man

I know you guys are expecting me to list out all of Thor's cool villains, but let's face it, none of them past Loki are better than B-listers.

I would like to hope that the Enchantress and Executioner are eventually going to make the cut, like Banshee, Toad, Falcon and so many other missing characters. And I hope that Fandral and Hogun find a home this time. (not holding my breath though)

And if there was a plan that would manage to get us the whole Crew, maybe released one every other TRU wave with some A-lister they've fought, I'd support the heck out of it.

Nobody wants the Wrecking Crew more than me, but it's a tough sell -- four B- and C-list dudes either eat up an assortment or make up a 4-pack with a very limited appeal. And Thor's rogues will always come in second to Spidey's as far a recognizably goes. And FYI, TRU 12 came out in November, so...

I can totally understand that. I didn't know the characters myself until someone here started campaigning for them. Since then, i've read them a little in Runaways.

A box set is probably too hard a sell.... but it'd be great if we could maybe have them slipped into a few waves. They don't need to all come at once. Scattering them throughout a few assortments would probably make sense from your end... so long as they don't end up like FA Beast. LOL

DST's earned enough good will with us that if you even gave us one Wrecking Crew member per year, I'd have complete faith you'd complete the team! But a faster release schedule would be fine too :)

Sorry Zach, I never ment to insinuate that you guys only go with Thor characters only in a movie year. But it felt like the first movie gained us a deeper catalog approach with the Stormbreaker set with Sif, Loki plus TRU's Balder and probably a few others I'm forgetting at the moment. I'd love to get a Warriors Three box set at SDCC.

I don't expect a Thor comic wave, but I'd love to see a few of his supporting cast sprinkled in here or there this year :)

Oh, and can we get a Loki hair piece to match his appearance in The Avengers??

Um, no. With Malekith, Algram, and possibly Enchantress in this one, I want them too.

Unless the ear color is off, the "Best Of" wave 2 Loki has the hair piece you want.

Interesting debate. Now that I think about it I guess thor's supporting cast, ie friends, have done pretty well in being "minimated" (is that a word?) and are perhaps second only to spidey's. However, in my opinion you would be hard pushed to find a more colourful and interesting-looking bunch than the asgardians, so it's not surprising that they translate well. I guess as an old school thor fan I'm just greedy and want the warriors 3 etc too. Oh and maybe a don blake as we now getting a few more civilians/alter egos!

However, it's his villains that I'd really like to see increased as they are still pretty sparse (loki aside). I appreciate they aren't exactly "A" listers but enchantress, executioner, ulik, surter, hela and a comic accurate larger destroyer for example would all make great minimates imo. Still, in a way I guess it's nice to think maybe there's as much chance of getting some of these characters in a non-movie year too...

You forgot Grey Gargoyle, Mr. Hyde, the afore mentioned Wrecking Crew, Mongoose, and Quicksand, just so the Midgard side of Thor's Rogues' Gallery is represented.wink.png

The Wrecking Crew might be a 'hard sell' Zach but I can think of many other 'harder sells' that got made into Minimates this year . I often play the game of 'would I personally finance them & not lose my shirt?' & although I perhaps wouldn't put my shirt on the Wrecking Crew I most certainly would on an Executioner/Enchantress 2 pack.

I really never got over the weakest attempt of a new Minimate that I or anyone else will ever see , the Kronan Stone Man,& I'm pretty sure why those guys have tapered heads.......

Thor could do with better nemeses than the aforementioned little sh*ts.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Unless the ear color is off, the "Best Of" wave 2 Loki has the hair piece you want.

It's a good stand-in, but it's not the actual hairpiece from the Thor design sheets. I'd still like to have the actual Loki hairpiece one day.

You forgot Grey Gargoyle, Mr. Hyde, the afore mentioned Wrecking Crew, Mongoose, and Quicksand, just so the Midgard side of Thor's Rogues' Gallery is represented.wink.png

What he said, I would like to add my support to this.