UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Minimate Factory: Updated May 5th

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've sculpted fixie sculpt parts on a minimate head useing regular clear adhesive tape (in Germany it's Tesa, I can't compare it to other brands) and it works pretty good. I just put the tape around the head, sculpt on it and when it's done, you have to be a little careful removing it the first time, but after that no problem. I used it for both Casey Jones masks, which can be removed pretty easy.

Lots of suggestions to try, thanks everyone!

Before I asked the question, I had already sculpted the hair that I wanted on my dummy head, so I had to find a way to move it or scrap the whole thing. So far, DST has only released a 'baseball hat with hair' in the first two Walking Dead TRU exclusives (Glenn & Shane), so the piece is next to impossible to find. With the current wave 3 TRU Glenn exclusive, there is a baseball hat for Glenn, but it doesn't have hair so I decided to just sculpt my own for a custom.

I put the hat on the dummy, then sculpted around it. I let it cure at room temperature until it was solid enough that touching it wouldn't leave fingerprints. I then stuck the entire thing in the freezer for a couple of hours. The hat popped right off, and left the sculpt attached to the head. I took an exacto and gently wedged it between the sculpt and plastic to create enough of a gap that it would slide off, (you can see some of the paint that was on the dummy head is on the inside of the sculpt) I then glued the sculpt to the hat and let it cure overnight. I still have to sand and paint, but I was pretty happy with how it turned out!

20130606_072747.jpg

20130606_072701.jpg

20130606_073116.jpg

20130606_073223.jpg

20130606_073235.jpg

20130606_073248.jpg

Edited by youbastards

That's awesome.

I was hoping Cowboy Tony would come with a cap as well when I saw the movie.

Hopefully one of these days we'll get that piece on a non-exclusive figure, so it'll be easy to build up a collection.

I still need one for Booker (Chuck Norris). confused.gif

We will be receiving our shipment of the color cards next week. We will have white, royal blue, light blue, green, red, orange, yellow, black, silver, clear, translucent red, translucent green, and translucent blue!

To clarify the material - the solid colors are 30mm PVC (same thickness as a credit card) and the translucent ones are 10mm PVC (thinner than a credit card). As someone suggested, I warmed up one of my samples with a hair dryer for 2 minutes, but it still faded slightly at the joint when bent.

Just wondering Luke, have you tried heating it for a short while after you have bent it?

You could also try some type of white spirit like substance, it has a tendency to restore colour on some plastics. As does a product I believe is called a magic eraser. link

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting Luke. Though I don't really do customs, I'm amazed to see how much customizing has evolved in the Minimate world over the last ten years.

And speaking of decals...do you still have plans to update your zombie decal pack to match some of the TWD zombie colors? Since there's several that you get two of in a wave, some more zombie options would be awesome.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...