• 1 month later...
  • Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been gathering information for an article about the history of Minimate customizing over the past few months, with the intention of posting it here. But when Lurch started his excellent Looking Back: 10 Years of Minimates feature over at Minimates Central, I thought that might be a better place for this little trip back in time. You can view the article here:

Looking Back: 10 Years of Minimates (part 5)

Enjoy! :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'd definitely be interested in these, as I *HATE* sculpting, and am always looking for alternatives. A few quick questions:

-How hard or soft is the plastic?

-How easy was it to cut? Could you cut a complicated shape with an X-acto knife easily?

-One thing I've long struggled to make are the kind of "pointy mask" that characters like Mockingbird, the Huntress, and Marvel Girl wear. Do you think these might work, or would such a detailed cut be too difficult?

In any case, for a dollar a pop, I'd definitely at least give these a shot.

The plastic is pretty rigid, like a credit or membership card. I only used a scissors so far. I will try an x-acto knife and see how that works. On a pointy mask shape the only problem might be if you wanted cut-out eyes. I will experiment with that as well. :)

So I want to start sculpting my own hairpieces using Fixit Sculpt, but I don't want to sculpt them directly onto the final head. I want to sculpt them on a dummy head, let it cure, then move it to the final head, as this will prevent ruining the final head in case I'm not happy with the final sculpt. Anyone got some tips on preventing the compound from adhering directly to the dummy head? Is there something I can coat the dummy head with that will allow the compound to cure, but prevent it from bonding to the dummy head?

So I want to start sculpting my own hairpieces using Fixit Sculpt, but I don't want to sculpt them directly onto the final head. I want to sculpt them on a dummy head, let it cure, then move it to the final head, as this will prevent ruining the final head in case I'm not happy with the final sculpt. Anyone got some tips on preventing the compound from adhering directly to the dummy head? Is there something I can coat the dummy head with that will allow the compound to cure, but prevent it from bonding to the dummy head?

I do the same thing ... as a rule I never(with very few exceptions) sculpt on, or paint on the part I plan to use for the final custom. I use a teflon tape and cover the part with that first. works great, and i think you can get teflon paint as well somewhere. I also will use a small thin hairpiece to use as a base, and sand it down even further. which is nice, because it has a built in peg for the head hole.