UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Necessary Redos / Popular Redos

Valo487

I haven't seen the Marvel Universe one, but I'm sure it looks good. They can sculpt really well at that scale when they're trying. My issuewith Beast is kind of like my thoughts on Cyclops. True, there isn't a definitive modern version, but we have a LOT of versions still, a lot more than I would have guessed considering they aren't Iron Man, Wolverine, etc. and I just don't know how keen I am to see more attempts, especially with the number of noteworthy X-Men and Brotherhood members still unaccounted for.

Edited by Valo487

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well barring the skrull face, and angry expression, SI Beast does capture the character best.

90's Beast is... not sure... Like the mischevious face, the color is bright, but that was the look of the period. The hair is too big, way too big, and should have been a slightly darker shade. I can live with the chest piece and limb extentions. This was a time where Hank began to be drawn bigger and bigger. Depicted "correctly", McCoy is only about 5'11" and he slouches and crouches a lot, but he's heavy built, 350lbs at least. And this Beast can remove all the extras and look closer to "correct"... which makes the hair look ever bigger. So yeah, I think it's the hair.

I hear what you're saying, Valo. I do. But as we look ahead to this years' big crossover event, AvX, Beast in his new Sercret Avengers Uniform would be a good character to add to the mix. So would Namor in his new X-Men costume, signifying how both men have switched sides.

I would buy any and all of these suggestions. The only one that I want to see who has not been mentioned would be Cloak. The one we have looks very dated and the cloak does not even touch the ground if you display him with the mate body. Personally, I would like to see him as an accessory - an oversized, somewhat wrapping, cloak and hood with a minimate head; no body required. You know, how he is almost always depicted in the comics.

Maybe as a 4.5 character Dark X-men Box Set with Black Emma, red outfit Daken, updated Dagger and Mimic.

I would buy any and all of these suggestions. The only one that I want to see who has not been mentioned would be Cloak. The one we have looks very dated and the cloak does not even touch the ground if you display him with the mate body. Personally, I would like to see him as an accessory - an oversized, somewhat wrapping, cloak and hood with a minimate head; no body required. You know, how he is almost always depicted in the comics.

Maybe as a 4.5 character Dark X-men Box Set with Black Emma, red outfit Daken, updated Dagger and Mimic.

What's neat about the Cloak we have is that you can leave the head in the cape and just display it that way.

They're still banging the Namor's a mutant drum? Ugh.

Well, he is. And was established as one a long, long time ago. Give it time. He spent a while with Alpha Flight, and the Avengers, but we all know he will eventually go back to stalking Sue over in FF.

(for those wondering, it's his little ankle wings and ability to fly that are his mutation)

What's neat about the Cloak we have is that you can leave the head in the cape and just display it that way.

I do this, but he looks so tiny and static this way. When he is depicted in the comics, he always seems to be moving/flowing and his cloak is as big as at least two characters.

Prehaps. When they tried to say Bruce Banner was a mutant prior the gamma bomb incident, now that was ridiculous. Thankfully that was a short lived idea.

It just seems dangerously close to Mary Sue territory, he's half human, half atlantean and also a mutant? Between his brooding nature and ebony wardrobe, all he needs is a superfluous facial scar to be straight out of fan ficition.

I think Namor is a really good character, he doesn't need all these silly little layers.

It just seems dangerously close to Mary Sue territory, he's half human, half atlantean and also a mutant? Between his brooding nature and ebony wardrobe, all he needs is a superfluous facial scar to be straight out of fan ficition.

I think Namor is a really good character, he doesn't need all these silly little layers.

Or, Doctor von Doom?? ;)

It's not like Namor being a mutant changes anything. Gives him an excuse to still be relevant while the F4 become the FF and, quite frankly, his current activity in Uncanny is quite amusing.

Besides, you never wondered why someone who was Half-human Half-Atlantean had wings on his ankles??

Well brooding isn't anything new, Namor is moody at best, deeply mentally unstable at worst. And he's been wearing black off and on since mid 70's. And it was in the pages of the X-Men, way, way back in '64, that Namor was first called a mutant by Prof X and Magneto. (I will admit, I looked up the when on that one) So none of these elements are new. What is new is the length of time he's spending hanging out with his "fellow" mutants, something he's traditionally been reluctant at best to do before, traditionally he hasn't really liked to even think of himself as a mutant. Of course, the retcon he used Emma as a rebound girl after Sue rejected him probably had something to do with it. Fish man has a thing for blondes apparently, and other men's girlfriends. >shrug<

It's a phase, it'll pass. I mostly mentioned it because with this year's throwdown approaching, it's a nice twist that a former Avenger is on the X-Men's side, and a former X-Man is back on the Avengers' side. And if, like FI, set get made for this, Namor and Beast would make for nice, not Spidey-Iron Man-Wolverine-Cap-Thor-Cyclops additions to the sets.

I like Namor as a character, I don't mean to say the character is silly, I just think adding mutant on top of everything else just seems like a bad idea. I don't know why, it just seems "wrong" to me, like something a newish writer would think was a brilliant idea because they can't see the character doesn't need a gimmick.

I think my annoyance with Namor showing up in X-Men is just a frustration at Marvel's event-happy, short sighted writing style the last few years. They could have a lot more thought behind it than I give them credit for, but so many things they do lately seem to come from an ability to just do whatever without ever stopping to ask if these decisions are good longterm.

I like Namor as a character, I don't mean to say the character is silly, I just think adding mutant on top of everything else just seems like a bad idea. I don't know why, it just seems "wrong" to me, like something a newish writer would think was a brilliant idea because they can't see the character doesn't need a gimmick.

I think my annoyance with Namor showing up in X-Men is just a frustration at Marvel's event-happy, short sighted writing style the last few years. They could have a lot more thought behind it than I give them credit for, but so many things they do lately seem to come from an ability to just do whatever without ever stopping to ask if these decisions are good longterm.

Personally I like Namor showing up in the X-Men. Atlantians and Mutants are both endangered. Makes sense they are brought together. Besides, I love how big of an ass Namor is. So for me, I could use more Namor in just about every title.

Yeah, I like that Namor has more of a reason to interact with the surface world, and it seems like a good fit. Making him a mutant doesn't do anything to lessen the character, it adds incentive for him to work with the X-Men, and it helps to explain his powers. It's not like calling Banner a mutant or saying that Captain America was intended to be a mutant hunter. (Weapon Plus... for all the good Grant Morrison can do, there's just as much bad.)

saying that Captain America was intended to be a mutant hunter. (Weapon Plus... for all the good Grant Morrison can do, there's just as much bad.)

Not exactly what they said there. Cap and the Project Super Soldier were retroactively declared Weapon 1 in the story i.e. Weapon Plus was a continuation and perversion of the work Erskine and others started. They were really unclear at what point in the progression became totally anti-mutant.

Or at least, that's how I read it, and how others since Morrison have reffered to it.

With respect for all the comments about Namor....I'll put him in the category 'got worse'. WTF is wrong with the Invaders & Defenders versions?

I think a new version of the Defenders just formed, without Namor. (although truthfully I never thought of Namor as a regular Defender) And the Invaders... I'd rather not see the teams reputation diluted by another sub-par incarnation. I get it, it's not everyone's cup of tea. If I thought this was going to be a long term situation, I'd be more upset.

edit- aaaaand I just realized you were talking about the minimates. facepalmhy2.gif

But yes, there can be no arguement that Marvel has been very short sighted in their thinking of late. They have completely depleted Wolverine and the Hulk's rogues galleries. Most of the Avengers' regular foes have been reduced to third stringers in favor of the Hood. The X-men are now totally one dimensional- reduced to fighting mostly anti-mutant human conspiracies, or each other. If heroes are only as good as their foes, the 616 in general is pretty lame at the momment.

Edited by Mirymate

both those Namors are near enough perfect for me... lacked a trident though. If we do end up getting a new, totally unecessary Namor, much like the new Thor boots, I hope the wings are sculpted on to new feet... not huge on the separate part.

that was a very awkwardly worded sentence

both those Namors are near enough perfect for me... lacked a trident though. If we do end up getting a new, totally unecessary Namor, much like the new Thor boots, I hope the wings are sculpted on to new feet... not huge on the separate part.

that was a very awkwardly worded sentence

I followed. It'd be neat if we got that, but then I'd just pine for a skin-colored new foot piece. :teehee:

As for Subby in the comics, he's always been a favorite of mine. I still have my dad's old issues of "Tales to Astonish" featuring him and the Hulk that survived a tornado. I pick up any collections of his I can. While I am enjoying seeing him being used, I don't enjoy him in the X-books as much as I'd prefer. In the Defenders, now, feels like a much keener fit.

I think a new version of the Defenders just formed, without Namor. (although truthfully I never thought of Namor as a regular Defender) And the Invaders... I'd rather not see the teams reputation diluted by another sub-par incarnation. I get it, it's not everyone's cup of tea. If I thought this was going to be a long term situation, I'd be more upset.

Actually, Subby IS a member of the current team of Defenders. Also, he was one of the founders, along with Doc Strange and Hulk. Silver Surfer came a smidge later, followed by good ol' Valkyrie.

Guess I need to closer check into this newest incarnation of the Defenders before opening my yap. :blush:

Yeah, I know Namor was a founder and all. But I associate Hellcat and Nighthawk more with the Defenders than him. I dunno. Guess in my mind Namor is loner and a drifter, who never seems to stay anywhere very long despite his intentions. For right now, those wanderings have him assisting Utopia. But the tide will change and he'll be off somewhere else before much longer.

Back on topic... Would the current Scarlet Spider count as a new character or a redo of the old Scarlet Spider?