UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Chat with Chuck Rescheduled for September 1st

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He used to work for AA, I think. It was found out when the Goth Girl MM was first seen.

Thanks for the transcript NR. My favourite bit?

"groundhog7s: I'm holding a baby while typing so I'll be about as fast as buttheadsmate" :D

Once again dude, the "Post #___" link in the upper right hand corner of each post will save you a lot of trouble.

Thanks again for the help dude............I'm devastated nobody found my link helpful ......all that scrolling must tax the mind.

BTW Dino, this arrived today http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MARVEL-HEROES-SERIES...ctionFigures_JN ...............

...........that's the auction item you begged me to win off of ebay for you ,remember ?

Do these things burn easily?

Once again dude, the "Post #___" link in the upper right hand corner of each post will save you a lot of trouble.

Thanks again for the help dude............I'm devastated nobody found my link helpful ......all that scrolling must tax the mind.

BTW Dino, this arrived today http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MARVEL-HEROES-SERIES...ctionFigures_JN ...............

...........that's the auction item you begged me to win off of ebay for you ,remember ?

Do these things burn easily?

1) You're welcome.

2) I did find your link helpful. It answered my question quite nicely.

3) A lot of scrolling doesn't bother me. I'm used to reading your posts.

4) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Chat Summary

Marvel

*Boobgate*

blacksun1520: OK, what's going on with AOA Jean's boobs on the proto, they look kinda weird

DSTchuck: Sorry to tell you but MM do not have "boobs"

blacksun1520: well, her "chest details" then

DSTchuck: I am not sure of the tampos are final or not but my bet is they are.

*AOA*

The_JC: How many more Age of Apocalypse sets will you be releasing?

DSTchuck: 2 box sets and YES some two packs to go with it..that help..

*Borders Exclusives*

boyd: Any more exclusives with Borders in the future?

DSTchuck: They are interested so we'll have see, if we did it would be keyed off Thor or Cap movie.

*TRU vs LCS*

Santos_L_Halper: Is the recently announced Fantastic 4 TRU wave a stand alone wave that will only be available at TRU or will some of the packs be shared with comic boook waves, as is normally the case?

DSTchuck: There is a two pack in comic waves to go with TRU but no we think we did enough FF in comic stores so we're doing something pretty diffrent at the same time. I think 2011 wil have more corss over with comic and TRU now that I have more experience with the matrix of the two and how I want it to mix a

blacksun1520: when can we expect to see the new TRU Marvel wave to hit shelves, aproximatly?

DSTchuck: Lots of MM shipping to TRU right now- I think three lines.

DSTchuck: Marvel, GB and UM!

DSTchuck: Universal Monsters

PANTHRO504: will we be seeing packaged pics of the New mutants soon?

NorthRaider: Wave 37? hint?

DSTchuck: YES pics for NYCC stuff SOON

DSTchuck: Hmmm Series 37 I don't recall off the top of myh head...

Binaryan: Love the way you're branching out the Marvel line these days. Any word on Mates for the upcoming THOR and CAP movies?

DSTchuck: The three movies from Marvel this year are a good bet for MM, don't you think based on past history.

DSTchuck: Doing the three Marvel movies in 2011 would make sense based on past releases - right?

*Zombies*

Docholliday666: What are the chances of more marvel zombies being made?

DSTchuck: Nope Marvel does not want more Zombie stuff made.

Shanester: never say never?

DSTchuck: This is as close to never as you can get.

PANTHRO504: Just want 2 say the TRU stuff is amazing, blowing passed the LCS stuff, thaank you for hulk buster IM , and characters like betsy braddock and Lockjaw. So Longshot, dazzler 2 pack in 2011 maybe and what about the x-men first class movie??

DSTchuck: I think I said all I can on the Marvel movies - now your trying to get me in torouble!

*Kang*

BrobotC: and kang

DSTchuck: No,No ,no Kang EVER!

Shanester: never say never

DSTchuck: Just kidding.

Deadpool: Have you considered the Erik O'Grady Ant Man?

DSTchuck: Sorry not really....

MAX

=======================

Docholliday666: Will the MAX line be getting a motorcycle? My Ghost Rider is tired of taking the Lego Bus to nab evildoers...

DSTchuck: Maybe a cycle but it would not look anything like GR and its not in wave two those are already going foward and no cycle in there.

Trekker_42: Well anything is better than nothing for a cycle...

DSTchuck: Thanks for caring - we really hope these vehicles do well I personly think they are vital to the long term future of the line.

Shanester: TBT wanted to know about the likeness' you use for the Max figures. Where do they come from and can you do him/us?

DSTchuck: Some faces are made up and some are from the DST/AA team.

darkredshdow: Any hints on the minimate vehicle wave 2?like the lines the vehicles are coming from?

DSTchuck: I think we showed MM Vehciles 2 at TF didn't we?

darkredshdow: the previews series series 2?

DSTchuck: No the Copter and "truck"

DSTchuck: YES very cool play paterns will be seen as we do more MAX vehicles.

Santos_L_Halper: Are there any updates on the pirates line?

DSTchuck: Plan is if Max do well in TRU more series of our own creation will follow and Pirates is a big one for us.

NorthRaider: always wondered about the "Calico jack" name

DSTchuck: I came up with the name its based on history - he is told to have created the skull and cross bones.

Movie Lines

=======================

*Predators*

BrobotC: Since the Announcement of the Designs you made for the new Predators mates,ALOT of people are dying to see the designs,any chance we can see them,even like a link or something?and how come these never happend,or will we see these later this year,or a different predator movie?

DSTchuck: I am sorry I see no way we'd ever be able to show them. Things did not end well with Fox so I doubt it but NEVER say NEVER we like to say.

Binaryan: We've had some great movie Mates like Silence of the Lamb & BTTF.... are there any more of these in the works? Any movie that you'd love to see Mated?

DSTchuck: Right now we don't really have any library movie deals in place but were always looking. We consider GB a "movie" line - just a deeper one.

*James Bond*

TM2_Dinobot: Hai Chuck! XD My question also a movi-related one. I rean in a magazine lartely that MGM is on hard times. I know you have a license with them. Has that effected your relationship with them in any way? Specifficly, what are the chances of James Bond mates?

DSTchuck: MGM does not and never has had the licensing rights to Bond. We've asked the BOnd folks for MM and they werer not interested. I LOVE Bond if fact I have a signed by Q framed poster in the office, so we'll trying but the franchise is a bit of a hold right now...so will not be soon.

*Star Trek*

groundhog7s: I'd like to know about Star Trek-I feel alot of us believe that Trek MMs didn't work as well beacuse the way the pack outs were inthe first three waves, which led to low sales on the next two. Do you agree? And along those lines, is there ever a chance of DST taking a leap with a TNG focused couple

Shanester: I'd like to know about Star Trek-I feel alot of us believe that Trek MMs didn't work as well beacuse the way the pack outs were inthe first three waves, which led to low sales on the next two. Do you agree? And along those lines, is there ever a chance of DST taking a leap with a TNG focused couple

DSTchuck: I do not agree the first two waves of Trek MM did very well.

DSTchuck: When Trek shifted to mixed series sales tanked.

DSTchuck: Trek is pretty "dead" guys...we're doing what we can but its moving to a movie franchise now in the minds of retail buyers and the lack of sucess of those figures is not helping the cause.

Fujis: So we'll see movie-based Trek Mates then?

DSTchuck: We do not have rights to the last movie they do not want any product from that movie out in 2011

*Star Wars*

Mattallica: Star wars mates, i know that lucasfilm has said no but did they say why is it because of Kubricks, Lego or Hasbro or? sorry if this is old news but ive never heard the reason

DSTchuck: The reason is Lucas said no its that simple its not like they owe us anything. They said if there is lego there are no MM I ASSUME Kubrick is a nich collector product in Japan so they let them do some.

*Dr Who*

NorthRaider: Doctor Who. you hinted at them a couple of times before, are you a fan?

DSTchuck: Not a fan no not that that matters for DST though. Its a UK property and UK does not want MM but I see something there so you never know - my brother is a HUGE fan though

NorthRaider: cool, does he have a fave doctor?

DSTchuck: Not sure

*Invisible Man*

Twisted_Two-Face: okie dokie. way back when you first showed us UM Mates, we saw Invisible Man. By himself. anyth development there??

DSTchuck: UM Invis man would be part of year three OR a promo item

Halo

=======================

groundhog7s: can you talk some about Halo? like, do you see it as a video game property or a pop culure thing? I ask to see if the line succeeds if it will make way for more video game consideration (like Mortal Kombat)?

DSTchuck: We're really not a video game company - we think thats best left to NECA..and such. Halo as we've said is a game changer PLUS we were able to get banks and a new movie was coming. I do not see it as a start of a video game trend BUT if the right thing comes up we'll go for it just like we did Halo.

NorthRaider: there's a Halo movie coming?

DSTchuck: Halo Legends the direct to DVD movie - which is out now.

darkredshdow: isnt there a live action movie coming?

DSTchuck: IF there was a Halo movie I doubt MS would tell ME about it ...LOL

Toyfair/Promos

=======================

Mattallica: whats happening with the battle beast mates and will we ever have another chance at the silver "toyfair" promo?

DSTchuck: Bring cookies to me at a show and ask

Modefan: Will there be any minimate giveaways @ nycc and will they be something new or something weve seen before?

DSTchuck: I don't think we have a BB for NYCC planned.

BrobotC: Any new licence announcements for NYCC,Like any chance of Cowboys and Aliens mates?And what would be the COOLEST thing you showcase this year?

DSTchuck: NO I don't think new licenses for NYCC , hopefully some cool new stuff if all goes right.

TM2_Dinobot: on a personally interesting subject, you did Goth Girl. How easy is it to do minimates based on books? Cause i have this book...

DSTchuck: Goth girl was a VERY special case if you do some Google c hecking I bet you can figure it out.

Website

=======================

*Minimates.com*

darkredshdow: When can we excpect the games on the minimate site?and what type of games will they be?

DSTchuck: The web guys are WAY behind was suppose to be done for SDCC so I'll rattle them tomorrow. They will be pretty simple and keeping in mind the site is aimed at like 7 year olds.

*Flickr*

luke314pi: For a while, DST was posting shots of individual upcoming minimates on its Flickr page, as opposed to group shots, which was really nice. Could we see that start up again?

DSTchuck: We're NOT going to use flicker for anything but if we get more time we might go back to single shots but thats best at the AA page I think

Tarot

=======================

Twisted_Two-Face: Tarot Witch of the Black Rose. many weren't really thrilled with it, but now we hear that it may be cancelled. is this the nail in the coffin for other indy titles??

DSTchuck: Not a nail a refiguring...to be honest and don't tell anyone but I NEVER wanted JUST a Tarot themed set , but I was told I was wrong so...

Image/etc

=======================

TM2_Dinobot: Noooo! How will we ever live without our Thundercat ho?

DSTchuck: TC is more in play then it ever has been so maybe but I doubrt it personly I think the time has passed.

Fujis: Hi Chuck, thanks for doing this. I think Invincible would make an amazing Minimates property - any chance Kirkman has already been approached about this?

Shanester: Walking Dead!

Fujis: Any Kirkman title really...

DSTchuck: Yes we have talked to Robert - he's a fan but nothing brewing now and TMP would get 1st crack at AF so any deal would not include them.

DSTchuck: Yea Robert is a partner at Image now.

Twisted_Two-Face: i think he meant what. i think AF is action figures??

DSTchuck: Nothimg is happening BUT he gets first shot...

Santos_L_Halper: todd macfarlane productions

Fujis: Anything we can do to speed things up with Image-based properties?

DSTchuck: Each Image studio makes its own deals but we have history with Top Cow. To be honest any Image stuff is not going to sell as well as Halo or Marvel or GB so we have to pick our spots - right?

Fujis: Invincible doesn't have a large enough fan base?

Fujis: I suppose if the movie ever gets made...

DSTchuck: Roberts stuff is GREAT but do you REALLY think its the same as Spidye or Halo - come on guys! If we did it it would not be because we think its "big" - get it?

*Kick Ass*

Modefan: Any chance for a minimate box set based on the kick ass book/movie

DSTchuck: The Kick Ass boat has sailed

DSTchuck: We'll pass - cool comic though

MISC

=======================

boyd: Out of all the Minimates you've made this year, which one are you most proud or satisfied with?

DSTchuck: I am VERY happy with the way we planned and executed the IM2 so we're using that as a model s best we can so hopefully fans liked it.

DSTchuck: I guess same answer - Can I say that?

Fujis: Any chance of a new playset in the future - perhaps something in plastic as opposed to the cancelled cardboard and resin versions? And I'm sorry if this was asked before but what's happening with Battle Beast MM's? How has the response been to the 3 Gator versions?

DSTchuck: Plastic playsets afre not practical now adays, you hardly even see the big guys make any.

Twisted_Two-Face: so i guess cardboard playset is dead??

DSTchuck: NOT dead yet but not thriving - still working on ideas.

The_JC: Is it possible for DST to acquire the DC comics license and produce minimates independently of DC Direct? I ask because both Mezco and Funko are making niche DC figures themselves

DSTchuck: I really don't want to adress the DC question - come on guys your better than that ..LOL!

Docholliday666: Any chance of Sons of Anarchy mates?

DSTchuck: No SOA planned.

DSTchuck: Thanks for coming and PLEASE send your positive thoughts to Eddie Wires family he was a special part of my family and he is missed - you all have TONS of hsi work in your collection he was the main MM painter for YEARS and a great friend!

**kudos to NorthRaider for grabbing the transcript**

I wonder what Marvel's change of heart on Zombies product is all about? I don't particularly care for more Marvel Zombie 'mates, but it seems strange that they don't want product based on a comic of which they continue to publish needless sequels.

Too much unsold stock of all the other Zombies statues/busts/action figures, etc?

DSTchuck: Not a fan no not that that matters for DST though. Its a UK property and UK does not want MM but I see something there so you never know - my brother is a HUGE fan though

this quote saddens me :(

me too, we definitley need some stores to sell minimates here, i cnat live with just one

this quote saddens me :(

me too, we definitley need some stores to sell minimates here, i cnat live with just one

The whole UK does not want minimates argument is a load of pish.

Minimates were doing fine here for a while we were getting new waves at the same time as the United States.

Suddenly the shipments started taking 3 months to reach us.

At that point, most UK and European members began to grey import. Ergo: Demand via Diamond distribution goes through the floor and DST decide to withdraw minimates from CE testing due to the expense.

Pish!

I wonder what Marvel's change of heart on Zombies product is all about? I don't particularly care for more Marvel Zombie 'mates, but it seems strange that they don't want product based on a comic of which they continue to publish needless sequels.

Too much unsold stock of all the other Zombies statues/busts/action figures, etc?

Disney?

The whole UK does not want minimates argument is a load of pish.

Minimates were doing fine here for a while we were getting new waves at the same time as the United States.

Suddenly the shipments started taking 3 months to reach us.

At that point, most UK and European members began to grey import. Ergo: Demand via Diamond distribution goes through the floor and DST decide to withdraw minimates from CE testing due to the expense.

Pish!

Disney?

I thought it was on record that the issues with minimates and the UK is the expensive testing costs? Perhaps chuck wants to pass these on to the buyers in the UK and they don't want to stump up the $$$ so he see's it that they don't want them.

Also I think it's on record that Marvel put a stop to zombie product a couple of years back because they didn't want their precious characters like spiderman thought of as horror characters to small kids etc.

T.

Merely changing the packaging & including the words "Not suitable for children under 14 years" would allow Minimates to be sold anywhere in the EU. That is absolutely inarguable. DST however market Minimates as toys in N.America & it is their stance that prevents Minimates from being sold as 'toys' in the UK because Minimates do not meet the required standards set down by the EU for toys. No such standards exist for adult collectables . No standards exist for second-hand toys either.

Each Minimate ,as it is produced, would have to be certified to the CE standard if it were to be sold as a toy . Once certified it could be bought & sold anywhere in the EU. The only problem is that each test would cost $500.....my source for this information was DST,two years ago. The only toy seller that would stump up this sort of money.... $3500 for each Marvel wave for example ....would be TRU. I just can't see that happening.

CE testing,by all accounts,is tortuous but I am not convinced....never have been...that each new Minimate would in fact have to be tested. That doesn't make too much sense to me because within reason most Minimates have a generic form & uniformity & it almost inconceivable that each would have to be tested. I'm in no position to argue with Chuck but if someone was to pursue this then I'm pretty sure you'd get a result.....either way.

Edited by buttheadsmate

I still think it was down to slow shipping that UK orders dried up. Minimates didn't fly out of my LCS when they used to order them. But they sold steadily and nothing remained on the pegs. That's just one provincial comic shop.

Forbidden Planet and other chains grey import minimates so there must be some kind of demand for them.

I also find it hard to believe that CE testing costs are so punitive. Look at all the cheap tat that you only ever seem to find in pound shops. That all has the CE mark on it. Can't legally be sold otherwise.

An awful lot of stuff that comes in from China often has a 'CE' mark .....a cleverly executed variation of the official EU 'CE' mark but with slightly different spacing between the letters.....it denotes a 'China Export'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_mark

Look at some of the older Minimates packaging ....I'm not entirely sure which one was on it ;)

An awful lot of stuff that comes in from China often has a 'CE' mark .....a cleverly executed variation of the official EU 'CE' mark but with slightly different spacing between the letters.....it denotes a 'China Export'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_mark

Look at some of the older Minimates packaging ....I'm not entirely sure which one was on it ;)

Blimey, you learn something new every day. I still maintain that European orders fell through the floor due to the ridiculous shipping times that were suddenly pushed upon us. I admit though, that I have nothing other than my gut feeling to back that up.