UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Bob's Customs - Assassin's Creed II Ezio, p.29

Just wanted to pipe up and voice my admiration for your Thor custom. I know you're not 100% happy with him, but I feel that Thor and Cable are the best customs out of your recent set. To me, they have the most successful redesigns, both getting a new Victorian-steampunk look, but you can still tell you they are. And I kinda like the extended hammer.

Edited by boyd

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Good question.

Possible answers:

a ) I'm awesome.

b ) A little - not-less awesome - bird told 'em.

c ) They are checking the 'verse. And therefore are awesome themselves.

d ) They googled "Hellboy minimates" and google was awesome enough to lead them to me. (Because of a) )

:geek:

• 2 months later...

From the good ol' days of Golden Age comics I'll give you DC's

Alan Scott & Mr. Terrific

These two guys are in some sense the first customs I did as a commission. My 2010 Secert Child (karamazov) had them on the top of his wishlist so I was glad to fulllfill my part as Secret Santa. Problem: I had no idea who these guys were. And more of a problem: who these guys looked like! So I asked the one person who should now best: aunt google. Usually I do customs of characters I really like, I really enjoy and most important I really do nkow how they look like. That's pretty important, because usually it's the small details that give a custom that little extra, making it look awesome. These guys, Mr. Terrific and the orginal Green Lantern, I really had to work for it. At fiorst, both seemed pretty simple, but then I was looking at the details. A lot of images pictured Scott in his first appereance outfit. So it was pretty clear to go with this one. His huge collar being the hardest thing to find pieces for. But still, I messed up a detail: he shouldn't be wearing red shoes, but red boots! Sorry for that, brother karamazov.

Mr. Terrific on the other hand was a little tougher. As I said, I wasn't familiar with him, didn't know who he looked like and while most pics were pretty similar, the details changed a lot. Sometimes he was wearing red shoes - maybe that's the reason I put those on Alan Scott by mistake -, sometimes he was wearing brown boots with yellow flaps (?). On some pics, he had those huge gloves every cool superdude was wearing back in the days, sometimes he didn't. Even the 'Fair Play' sign did change in some pics. So I had to make some decisions. Since I usually love it when minimates have lots of stuff and cool extras, I tried to get him as much pieces as I could. So yes for the gloves and yes for the boots. And I really liked the look of him that way. And I hope you do as well, bro.

The recipes:

Alan Scott: I initially intended to do decals for both faces, but I found out, that I already had perfect heads for both characters, so I went with those. Scott's face is Invaders' Bucky's, his hair comes from Invaders' Cap. His collar is a modified Ghost Rider (Champions) piece combined with a modified M. Bison cape. (I thought he needed a more dynamic look.) Both recolored. The chest is a decal, the rest are just regular parts.

Mr. Terrific: I tried different facial expressions on him, but I had the feeling, that a slight grin would work best, so I used Flash's head piece. The mask is a re-colored Silver Age Angel mask. Gloves and boots are recolored pieces of Cap (Invaders) and the skirt-thingy comes from Robin. I used a decal for his chest part.

AlanScott.jpg MrTerrific.jpg

"Did you realize we're basically wearing christmassy-colored garment?" (Alan Scott Minimate)

Edited by Bob Harris

Great customs of two classic JSA figures and some very creative part choices. I can just imagine some ppl reading that you used a SA angel mask on Mr Terrific and having a breakdown. Lol

I know. :)

But you have to think of it as my Secret Santa gifts, so you have to giove a little...

Oh, and thanks for the compliments of course. Always welcome!!!

Edited by Bob Harris

Great customs, I've missed seeing your customs for a while and got excited to see an update and even more excited to see that it was good work!

well done bob! :)

These are amazing customs, and I'm proud to have them in my collection now, Bob. Pretty sure ol' Terrific would have had a tough time getting made officially, even if the DC line kept going. The facial expression is a great choice, befitting a guy who is smarter and more physically gifted than everyone else, and knows it :D

Great work, as always. I love more than anything else a perfect facial expression on a Minimate, and these two are shining examples of parts reuse. Both of these carry a lot of Golden Age charm rather than modern interpretations of the Golden Age. If that makes sense.

Thanks a lot for your comments and your compliments!

And hellpop, of course I can help you out with those chest decals! (All in all, those buggers were Christmas gifts in the first place, right?) There are both based on Luke's generic male body decals.

Here you go:

AlanScott-Decal.jpgMrTerrific-Decal.jpg

In the old days, all self-respecting superheroes had nice collars on their shirts. It makes them look professional. Times have changed, and not for the better.

If you go a bit further back it was all shirts and ties. Then the ties went then the collars. Now days its all bare midriffs and pants on the outside. What's happened to super hero morals!

I blame it all on Rob Liefeld :D

Thanks a lot for your comments and your compliments!

And hellpop, of course I can help you out with those chest decals! (All in all, those buggers were Christmas gifts in the first place, right?) There are both based on Luke's generic male body decals.

Here you go:

AlanScott-Decal.jpgMrTerrific-Decal.jpg

Thanks so much Bob! They look really great. I like your GL so much I might replace the decal I already made for that one. But Mr. T is definitely happening now. :banana:

It's nice to see that, despite your fancy new position at DC Comics, you remain a man of the people.

Edited by hellpop

• 2 months later...

Darn, I just messed up my whole list in the first entry, because I wanted to add my next custom. I had to redo it completely, because it didn't display the images correctly afterwards. Same thing with the newest post here. I did copy & paste an older one and just wrote a new text and exchanged the image-URLs, but it doesn't work. :down:

Anyway, expect my newest custom very, very soon. Just a hint: he once did team up with one of my former customs. One I really like.

From one of your most favorite webcomics, here comes

AXE COP

Just in case you really missed it, Axe Cop is a webcomic created by two brothers. Malachai - who is now 7 years old - writes the stories, while his brother Ethan - around 30 - does the artwork. It's exactly what it says on the tin: a cop with an axe. Seriously, you really should consider reading it. I don't remember when I started reading it, I guess sometime around last spring, and I'm hooked. Besides the episode there's also a feature called Ask Axe Cop, where Axey 'Axe Cop' Smartist answers questions from readers, and I must say that I like these even better than some of the original stories. You might learn there, that once, Axe Cop actually fought Chuck Norris. If you're more into watching these comics in motion:

. But what would be even better than Axe Cop alone? Right! If your favorite cop with an axe would team up with your favorite doctor/martial arts expert Dr. McNinja. But keep in mind, that your brain might explode, because awesomeness multiplied by awesomeness equals brain exlplosion. Don't tell me I dind't warn you.

When I wasn't able to score a shirt, I knew I had to do an Axe Cop custom, to let him team up with Dr. McNinja. And since we lately got all I needed in the MAX series (although I like T-1000's dark police uniform better), there was no excuse to not do it. So I used two rolled-up sleeve parts and hairy Wolverine arms and did some repaints on them, to match the uniform. I also added the Spirit's tie and a repainted police hat. His face is a decal.

AxeCop04.jpg AxeCop-02.jpg

AxeCop-03.jpg AxeCop-McNinja.jpg

"You know what time my job is? Always!" (Axe Cop)