UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

MATTEL buys MEGA BLOKS

MisterPL

It was only a matter of time before Mattel got into the construction block category, and with their recent partnership with Mega Bloks to produce Barbie™ sets to compete with Lego Friends (and whatever chick-friendly endeavor Hasbro has up their sleeve with Kre-O), it's not a surprising acquisition.

Here's the announcement.

I guess now the question is, when will Mattel get the license for DC Comics in the brick category?

I'm going to punch something when we get MOTU Mega Blox instead of Minimates.

I guess the weapons and everything will be in scale.

And I'll be right behind waiting with an uppercut!

But I won't lie, I'll buy all the sets for the vehicles, a wind raider and castle grayskull, FTW

^ I would lose it if a new superhero themed Mega Bloks line was released.

Friggin LOSE IT!

Looking at those pictures you can see how cool the previous line was and also what areas need improvement. The Call of Duty figure design addresses all of the faults the previous body design had while improving upon its strengths.

I dont care if it's DC (although that would be cool) , Marvel (even better as long as i don't have to sift through 100 Wolverine and Iron Man figures) , IMAGE or any other comic book publishers IP. Just give me some super hero bodies!

I personally hated the marvel mega bloks, didn't buy any of them. Doubt I would buy DC either, as much as I want DC minimates back. These are just mini action figures, and to me, lack the charm of minimates.

Believe it or not ...i didnt care much for the Marvel Mega Bloks aesthetic myself . They were cool ..but not enough for me to spend money on. Much like Minimates i liked and appreciated what they represented - miniature action figures with a stylized design and charm - but i've been a larger scale action figure fan for too long to get past the aesthetic.

Minimates, which i've owned a fair amount of, were close to what i wanted. They were more articulated LEGO figures in my opinion and were superior in every way. My minor hangups were the cubed look and the ball and socket shoulders.

Marvel Mega Bloks , of which i bought none from the store but several from the secondary market, were close to what i wanted as well. Full size action figure detail in a mini package. Unfortunately like Minimates they had ball / socket shoulders and friggin ginormous heads lol (before HALO. The HALO line is quite nice). I couldnt get past that.

The Mega Bloks Call of Duty line continues the evolution - mini figures with just enough large scale figure detailing to impress , hinge swivel shoulders so no more weird gap between the shoulders and torso , heads that are to scale and the ability to fit building bricks and detailed accessories. But of course i like those things.

A natural evolution of the mini / Micro figure:

11387871605_42371d8228_o.jpg

megabloks-drone-attack-6813-5246.jpg6407.jpg

I'd buy damn near anything Mattel puts out using that body design and prior to Mattels Mega acquisition i had next to zero interest in Mattel or anything they made.

So , yeah, i didn't buy in with regard to Megas older lines but i'm on my ...6th or 7th (?) set of Megas newer Call of Duty figure packs . Toys are evolving...and i'm damn happy about it. Can you imagine if MASK mini figures from the 1980's had this level of articulation to go along with transforming vehicles? It was a great line that would have given Hasbros GI JOE a run for its money as a top 3 toy line of all time.

Edited by Customizer

I've always loved Mega Bloks and their new CoD line is simply amazing. Their customer relations and support are excellent as well (at least until a few greedy pricks took advantage and forced them to scrutinize "parts-replacement" requests a bit more). The up-coming Assassin's Creed line should be interesting if they continue with the new style MAFs. However, I'm not thrilled about them being absorbed by Mattel. As a long time action figure collector (since the 70's), Mattel is the last company I want associated with a desirable license. Their less-effort-for-more-capital-gain business template that they've shamelessly used for decades has done little for the hobby. Hell, the MB CoD MAFs already have more points of articulation than any 3 3/4" figure they've ever produced! As long as they stay out of the design process and allow Mega Brands to continue evolving, things might go well, but I still feel a bit uneasy about it.