Universal Monsters Minimates

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Asked on Facebook and answered about the Ardeth Bey:

"It does not appear so. Only in his mummy form."

WTF!!!!

It's Boris Freakin' Karloff!! It's like getting another monster in the set, he's so creepy & cool! Plus Ardeth is a recognizable character! He's more important than another generic Man in Tux or Woman in Dress (I would gladly give up BOTH for Ardeth!)

Plus, I would have bought several for customs if he had his fez!

Zach, can you tell us what happened here??

WTF!!!!

It's Boris Freakin' Karloff!! It's like getting another monster in the set, he's so creepy & cool! Plus Ardeth is a recognizable character! He's more important than another generic Man in Tux or Woman in Dress (I would gladly give up BOTH for Ardeth!)

"He SAID I looked like BORIS KARLOFF!"

I wish we COULD have gotten him. I want to try to make QCs of the brothers from Arsenic and Old Lace as I'm in that show at my college and he'd be a great base of Jonathon Brewster. But oh well... I'm just glad this line made it all the way to The Mummy.

While unfortunate, I can see a classic Rhino being released somehow later, but I'm pretty sure this our only shot at Ardeth Bey. :sad: can't believe he won't be in the specialty store 4 pack, but the Sarcophagus is the exclusive in that right?

WTF!!!!

We made him as The Mummy? The way he first appears, rather than as a dude in a fez? It's still Karloff, and I guess they wanted more supporting characters, rather than multiple Karloffs. The set exclusive is Helen Grosvenor, and the TRU exclusive is Henry Wipple.

Minimates Wave 3 (Toys R Us) - September (Mummy/Sarcophagus, Quasimodo/Phoebus, Princess Anck Es En Amon/Henry Wipple, Mummy/Quasi B&W)

Minimates Series 3 Hunchback of Notre Dame Box Set - September (Quasimodo, Esmerelda, Phoebus, King of Fools Quasimodo)

Minimates Series 3 The Mummy Box Set - September (Mummy, Sarcophagus, Princess Anck Es En Amon, Helen Grosvenor)

Thanks for giving us the info, Zach.

Have we ever seen an Ardeth Bey Minimate? I know we've seen the Mummy set for years at Toy Fair, but have they ever shown the man with the fez?

No, they never have. Never even hinted at it. I'm just a monster freak, especially concerning Universal stuff, so I was holdin' out hope.

It's still Karloff, and I guess they wanted more supporting characters, rather than multiple Karloffs.

Why was the decision made to make two Quasimodos?

I don’t know anything about Universals Hunchback, but from know of the actual story a major driving point is the attraction towards Esmerelda shown by Quasimodo, Phoebus, and Frollo

Now it looks like looking over a synopsis the character is in the Universal film (it sounds like he was spilt into two characters with “Jehan Frollo” being more the one I’m referring too with “Claude Frollo” being a good guy) but instead of Frollo we’re getting Festival of Fools Quasi

Now, again, not familiar with Universal’s version so maybe it’s as simple as “Jehan’s a much smaller character in this version and FoF Quasi would just looks cooler” (I have no clue what Jehan Frollo looks like, but FoF Quasi does kick SO much ass) but it still seems a bit odd to me as a fan of the story.

I do wish we could have a Frollo minimate (Either Claude or Jehan) as Frollo is usually my favorite character in any version of Hunchback... And a bit of a dream role of mine... But oh well. Someday we'll get a MiniPriest and I can make a Frollo!

It's still Karloff, and I guess they wanted more supporting characters, rather than multiple Karloffs.

Why was the decision made to make two Quasimodos?

Not sure. I read the book, but I know the cartoon more than any of the movies (it's one of my favorite Disney pics). It may have been a simple case of priest avoidance? Also, he may not play as major a role. Not sure if likeness comes into it, but we definitely have Chaney.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...