UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Deleting unmaintained posts in Trade and Buy/Sell threads?

I know this has been discussed and implemented before but is it possible to delete any posts that are something like 6 months to 1 yr old that havent' been updated? I just waded through 6 pages in the Trade thread and there's a ton of posts are are rather old...older than buttheadsmate :biggrin:

I know this has been discussed and implemented before but is it possible to delete any posts that are something like 6 months to 1 yr old that havent' been updated? I just waded through 6 pages in the Trade thread and there's a ton of posts are are rather old...older than buttheadsmate :biggrin:

Simply put, no.

The existing system is in place because we were flooded with complaints that people abused the older system by continually bumping their trades, it got so bad that 3-4 people were bumping almost daily just to stay on top.

We have considered adding a way to index it so you can find the person you are looking to trade with more quickly.

If anyone believes they have a foolproof plan then we're happy to listen but I don't think we're planning on changing things until we come up with something that is hassle free, fair and fairly low maintenance for us to moderate, we've talked about it a lot ( far too much IMO) and that balance is something we' not yet managed to find.

T.

The only thing i can think of would be making a BST subforum where each member gets their own BST thread where they can "bump" once a day. It's like this at hisstank and the fwoosh and works fine as long as people follow the rules of bumping 1 per day max. This would also combine the Want/Have and WTS/WTB threads.

Simply put, no.

The existing system is in place because we were flooded with complaints that people abused the older system by continually bumping their trades, it got so bad that 3-4 people were bumping almost daily just to stay on top.

We have considered adding a way to index it so you can find the person you are looking to trade with more quickly.

If anyone believes they have a foolproof plan then we're happy to listen but I don't think we're planning on changing things until we come up with something that is hassle free, fair and fairly low maintenance for us to moderate, we've talked about it a lot ( far too much IMO) and that balance is something we' not yet managed to find.

T.

Sorry T I wasn't suggesting changing the current process, I am not wanting bumping of any sort. I only was asking to have it taken under consideration for another cleanup where posts that are super old removed because they are not being updated. I believe this has been done once or twice since you implemented the new system. There's posts that have the "updated xx-xx-xx" listed in June/July of 2010. When they are that dated most times if you pm those folks it's a wast of time and I personally just keep paging down until I find a more updated post.

Anyway it was jus a suggestion. Thanks!

If you mean like what we did last November with a list cleanup then yep we'll try to do another one of those probably around same time this year (time permitting). :biggrin:

Got to give about a year leadway for those members that aren't on the boards as often along with a couple months prior notice so everyone can make their updates too.

*Update Oct '11* going to try to start this process around first of the year (2012)

If you mean like what we did last November with a list cleanup then yep we'll try to do another one of those probably around same time this year (time permitting). :D Got to give about a year leadway for those members that aren't on the boards as often along with a couple months prior notice so everyone can make their updates too.

Yep that's it Lurch. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough before. Thanks!

The only thing i can think of would be making a BST subforum where each member gets their own BST thread where they can "bump" once a day. It's like this at hisstank and the fwoosh and works fine as long as people follow the rules of bumping 1 per day max. This would also combine the Want/Have and WTS/WTB threads.

This is the way I have always been used on every other forum I have ever been to.

Forgive me if this is already possible (i'm not very tech-savy), but what i would most like is the ability to search for a figure within the trade thread.

It is do-able at the moment by going through each page of the thread and hitting 'Hulk' into an Apple F search of the page - but it'd be nice to be able to search the entire thread for a figure without doing it 6 times over.

Back on topic - i AM all in favour of having posts that have not been updated for over 6 months deleted. I try to update mine at least once a month. I know i'm a bit more active on the board than a ot of other members, but 6 - 12 months seems like plenty of time to get around to updating your trade posts.

Forgive me if this is already possible (i'm not very tech-savy), but what i would most like is the ability to search for a figure within the trade thread.

It is do-able at the moment by going through each page of the thread and hitting 'Hulk' into an Apple F search of the page - but it'd be nice to be able to search the entire thread for a figure without doing it 6 times over.

Can't you already do this by using the search topic function at the bottom right of the last post on that page? It was a couple years before I noticed that function, but I find it works.

Edited by groundhog7s

Problem: it only allows words with more than 4 (or 3?, i forget) letters to be searched. I have not been able to search for things many times because of this.

Well, with that criteria you should have been able to search for things, just not be able to find it.

-channelingbuttheadsmatemate :blush:

Can't you already do this by using the search topic function at the bottom right of the last post on that page? It was a couple years before I noticed that function, but I find it works.

Oh AWESOME! Thank you so much for pointing out my ignorance (i'm not being sarcastic either!).

This will save me a good deal of time.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Ive just set it to 2 chars or more.

Does that help?

Thanks Ady. I think it helps.

Oh AWESOME! Thank you so much for pointing out my ignorance (i'm not being sarcastic either!).

This will save me a good deal of time.

I thought it was a polite way of saying it without knowing if you knew it or not. I seriously never knew until last year when I stumbled upon it (despite others trying to point it out in various ways).

• 8 months later...

If you mean like what we did last November with a list cleanup then yep we'll try to do another one of those probably around same time this year (time permitting). :biggrin:

Got to give about a year leadway for those members that aren't on the boards as often along with a couple months prior notice so everyone can make their updates too.

*Update Oct '11* going to try to start this process around first of the year (2012)

Thanks! I was gonna ask again about the timing and luckily scrolled back up through this thread.

Thanks! I was gonna ask again about the timing and luckily scrolled back up through this thread.

thank god....I was trying to find this thread about a month ago. over half of the posts in the trade thread are over 8 months old.

• 1 month later...