UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

General Minimate Pictures Thread

Them are some nice pictures, TM2. Good job on the light box.

As for the darkness, you might want to check your ISO settings (set it higher to make it more sensitive to light), your shutter speeds (the slower it is, the more light you'll get), and your F-Stops (the lower the number, the more light you'll get but your depth of field will be altered, so watch out) to try to get those pics brighter on the next go around. Also, very much like Rheul mentioned, the problem might be with the light temperature. Make sure you white balance the camera in your light box before you shoot next time and it should be fine.

I'm excited to see more!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumours and Gossip have filtered down into my Minimate Roster, could it really be the people have spoken and my fantastic 4 Minimates will be getting their very own Baxter Building to live in?

Reed Richards takes some downtime to see where these rumours have come from.. by checking in on the forums..

6789661037_7d4ef02ebf_z.jpg

I got bored waiting on my new order of Minimates to arrive, and seeing as though i'd not done a picture of them together...

6795773305_267f0bf007.jpg

The Legend that is Batman, with his acrobatic sidekick Robin, known all over the world as 'the Dynamic Duo'

I think the bulbs you are using is causing the light problem. You need to use the clean white light bulbs (sorry I can't recall the proper name). Regular bulbs give off that yellow light.

Daylight bulds, they're blue but give off a white light and they come in energy saving too i use them when i take photos.... I also use them in all the lights in the house as i prefer them to normal lights

I use "cool natural light" bulbs for all my Tales From The Minibar & Shots From The Minibar photos. I think it's pretty much the same ones winkerbean is decribing. Mine are just labelled different on the packaging.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Hey,

I took the liberty of saving one of your latest images to my desktop, I then had a play around with it in Picasa and PSE. Your camera model isn't too different from mine, it is the bulbs that is causing that yellowness, I know because if i take a shot during night time and have to use artificial light, that is where the colour imbalance comes from, whilst you do get some awesome images from a light box like that, it's one of the reasons i stopped using it altogether.

You might want to try the white paper background setup instead? Something similar to this here> Setup

But make sure you take the shots with lots of natural daylight entering the lense, i've found this to be the best way to get pictures with lots of natural light rather than using bulbs.

If you're going to continue using the light box, i'd suggest clicking your menu button on your camera and changing the white balance mode over to something which softens the yellow and corrects it, i'm not sure which options you have but mine are:

Flash,

Incandescent

Flourescent

Cloudy

Daylight

Auto

And as I said in my post above, if you haven't already tried Picasa i'd recommend it, mostly for the auto colour balance options and the fact you can also alter the highlights and shadows. Whilst you might not get the shots 100% perfect you can adjust it so the yellowness isn't as strong.

Rich

post-3395-0-70391300-1328255753_thumb.jp

Edited by Urban Saboteur

In taking those pictures are you solely using the bulbs for the light box or do you have other lights on in the room? I've found a lot of times that though they may not seem all that bright to you in the room, the ambient light cast from other sources can REALLY show on pictures. That's kind of what it looks like might be going on, plus it would make some sense if you are getting some pictures that are good and some that are a little yellow-y. I had an old digital camera a long time ago that when I took pictures with it in certain lighting situations, sometimes even outside on a bright clear sunny day, the entire image would be tinted blue one time out of a hundred or so. It was a piece of crap camera, so My guess was always that something was entirely wrong inside of it, but I never cared. It was still weird.

I was quite pleased this morning, I had about an hour or so to experiment and i finally took a shot using 16:9 picture mode. In the 4 years or so i've had my camera, maybe longer i'm not sure i've never used this feature, I have to say i'm really pleased with how it turned out. :biggrin:

Dante - Shadows

6811254899_3a540f6aa9_z.jpg

Rich

I was quite pleased this morning, I had about an hour or so to experiment and i finally took a shot using 16:9 picture mode. In the 4 years or so i've had my camera, maybe longer i'm not sure i've never used this feature, I have to say i'm really pleased with how it turned out. :biggrin:

Dante - Shadows

6811254899_3a540f6aa9_z.jpg

Rich

Oh to take pictures like that . Marvellous.

There are many people here who take great pictures ...then there's me.

Thanks guys!

I'm still learning, i noticed the light cast in through the living room window, and the fact it was at such an angle on the floor, this coupled with the 16:9 mode which i'd never used before today made this a fantastic, worthwhile learning experiment for me personally. I don't know why but even though i know in advance these are just toys, collectables, figures, i love cinematic shots like this one, i just wish i could do them more consistently! :)

Rich

Try to make sure that you use one type of light source at a time and if your camera has the ability, white balance to that light source.

Daylight is blue, tungsten (household bulbs) are yellow. You don't see this because your eyes compensate, but a camera isn't that advanced.

Choose one light source only... either daylight of tungsten. Then white balance your camera to that and things should look better.

I don't want to get to deep into lighting techniques, but if you are looking to improve your photo's, try a simple 3 point lighting technique.

The basis of this is a "key", "fill" and "back light".

First, the "key".

The "key" represents the most dominant light source, generally the sun in everyday life.

This should be angled at about 45 degrees to the front of your subject (either side).

It should ideally be a hard source, by that, I mean a clear bulb or spot light bulb... something that creates hard edged & dark shadows.

Next comes the "fill".

This should be at the opposite side/angle to your "key" light & it's purpose is to fill in the shadows.

It shouldn't be as strong as your key, ideally something should be used to defuse it or use a bulb that is not clear.

If you can not find something suitable to defuse it or a light that is weaker... try moving it further away.

The effect of this is a gentler light,with soft edged and weak shadows.

You are looking to bring back detail in the shadows caused by your "key", but it should not be as bright or strong as it will cause your photo to look flat.

Finally, your "back light".

This should be hitting the back of your subject, which adds further sculpting and causes your subject to stand out from the background (even if it's a plain white background).

The angle should be quite high, but look to avoid creating another shadow in front of your subject.

lighting-floorplan-back.gif

Hopfully this will work, but you should be seeing a animated gif demonstrating all 3 lighting effects.

3ptLights.gif

Here is another example of a back light... some people don't think it's important, but it adds far more deapth to the image.

3ptBack.jpg

LEFT: without back light / RIGHT: with back light

Edited by Pete

Awesome lighting!! :biggrin:

The beams of light down the left side of his face, the right side of his shoulder/arm look really cool.