UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

LEGO Thread

cale

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I managed to get the $30 Indy truck chase for $10 at Tatget. Used what little money I really didn't have, but I snagged it and never looked back.

How? Was there a sale?

Pricing mistake

Lucky. So how's the set? Is it as good as the other Indy sets or is it the one to skip?

Actually I've never been a huge "playset" fan, so both the Raiders Ark tomb and Jungle set held little interest for me. I was surprised by how many pure old school pieces Lego has been dragging out of storage for this set. Off the top of my head, there's the horse and saddle, the treasure chest, and several Cavalry pieces. The truck is VERY nice, with a canvas back that easily comes off, but can be secured so it doesn't move at all. It's a nice robust 6 wheeled monster. There IS a place to Indy can climb under the trust (you have to remove his hat), 2 of the grill bars "pop" off, and there's a catch at the back to place his whip so you can drag him along behind. BTW, his whip is rubber in case any one was wondering. It's molded into the curved shape but can bend to extend. That was driving me nuts before. The car is also a really nice piece, with a driver and a place for a machine gun at the back. Fortunately they include just a few extra pieced that I tacked on to make the gun more machine gun like. There's also a spare tire on the back of the car.

Over all, a nice well rounded set. Legos have always been over priced IMHO, but if you can catch this under the $30 mark, by all means go for it. Even if it's just $25. $30 is, eh, up to you. I'm sure if I had a job still I wouldn't even blink, but as it is that's like 4 months worth of raman noodles. Which I've been eating. For breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Haven't posted in a while, probably doing this wrong but definitely felt your pain about the ramen, maybe this will help...

http://www.mattfischer.com/ramen/

So I had this insane thought. Yall all know that $300 Imperial Star Destroyer, right? The one that I'd kill somebody for? Well, I was wondering the other day what it would look like if you took about 3 of those, combined the pieces and made the Executor. That would be a total monster. Does any one know if any body had done that yet? I'm not willing to sink $1000 into it to try it, but it'd be a once in a lifetime thing.

So I had this insane thought. Yall all know that $300 Imperial Star Destroyer, right? The one that I'd kill somebody for? Well, I was wondering the other day what it would look like if you took about 3 of those, combined the pieces and made the Executor. That would be a total monster. Does any one know if any body had done that yet? I'm not willing to sink $1000 into it to try it, but it'd be a once in a lifetime thing.

Kind of like this? 1205_biglego.jpg

When I was in Enfield, I met Erik, saw his desk & work area (he was working on the Spongebob promo figures at the time) and saw the ship shown above. It has some fascinating details on it. I've still got the pics somewhere on a jump drive. I'll see if I can't dig them up and post them.

Here's another from the net to give you an idea of the scale of the thing:

RSD10.jpg

(That's Erik BTW. Really nice guy. Let us dig thru their spare parts bin for about an hour and just take bits n pieces....man was that a fun trip.)

Man that is cool. The Executor is much much much bigger though. I dont even think 3 star destroyers would make it.

I wish I could afford one Star Destroyer let alone 4 or 5.

Tuesday Morning Update or Ivan Has A LEGO Problem

On Reideen's tip, I started staking out my two nearest Tuesday Morning stores last Thursday. I got the expected "that creepy guy is here again"-looks from the employees but it was no bother, I'm used to it. My first sighting of the LEGO came Monday night when I saw two end-caps full. They were wrapped in tape and signs stating "Not for sale until Tuesday." I didn't try to buy any that night because it wasn't worth the potential hassle and I didn't want to be that guy. But I did take notes on what was available so I could accurately determine what would be the best sets to buy. (You can't trust the MSRP Tuesday Morning lists on their tags.) Most of the sets were 50% off MSRP, but a few were more. Exo-Force Golden tower was 60% ($50->$20), Batcave was 66% ($90->$30).

On the way out the door I see the sign stating they will open at 8 instead of 10am. That fit right into my schedule because I could stop by in the morning and not be late for work. The only drawback would be getting up an hour earlier. But we all must make sacrifices in this life...

I pulled into the parking lot five minutes before eight o'clock. There were half a dozen cars near the entrance but everyone was just sitting in them, waiting. So being the brash, young whippersnapper, I hopped out of my car and strode right up to the entrance. This apparently broke the standoff and before I knew it all the little ole' ladies hopped out of there big ole' SUVs and lined up behind me.

This was a little unnerving at first. I didn't know if I had broken some unwritten Store Opening Etiquette and was about to be beaten down with a flurry of angry handbags. The uneasiness passed rather quickly as I realized I could probably take them if it came to blows. (Not to mention I had just watched The Matrix again.)

The doors opened and I quickly made my way to the end-caps and started my pile. I didn't bother with a cart because I knew it would only get in the way. I grabbed the lone Castle set first then piled on a couple Bat-Copters and Bat-Tanks (treads!). I was tempted to grab more tanks, but didn't want to look too greedy.

As I was making my final decisions and guarding my pile, a older couple started chatting me up because "I obviously know what the best sets are." (Is that the right phrase, "chatting me up"? It's not like they were swingers or anything.) They asked how the $70 Remote Control set compared to the $30 Batmobile and $25 Bat-Tank for their grandchildren. I explained why I wasn't getting the RC set, mentioned my Wall O' LEGO, how Technic is different from System... At one point the woman asked if I was married. (Hey, maybe they were swingers?) She didn't seem surprised when I said no.

Three hundred dollars later I ended up with 3 Bat-Tanks, 2 Bat-Copters, a Batcave, the large Castle, a Ferrari set, Exo-Force Sentai Fortress and Golden Tower. Not too bad. I'm going to check the other store after work.

I can quit whenever I want.

I really need to get over and look today... but have a million things to do first and promised someone I'd take them out on a birthday dinner :mellow: I bet by the time I get there it'll all be gone :mellow: *mumble*

*Edit* ok so I thought screw it... and just went and checked the place out...

I picked up a batcave for $30... Nice set!

They had some other batstuff such as the large scale batmobile and a bunch of exo-force stuff but nothing really stood out so I wasn't tempted... If they'd had the castle like Ivans store though I've probably have picked it up.

T.

p.s. Ivan if they have a large castle at the other store feel free to pick it up for me ;)

Kind of like this? 1205_biglego.jpg

When I was in Enfield, I met Erik, saw his desk & work area (he was working on the Spongebob promo figures at the time) and saw the ship shown above. It has some fascinating details on it. I've still got the pics somewhere on a jump drive. I'll see if I can't dig them up and post them.

Here's another from the net to give you an idea of the scale of the thing:

RSD10.jpg

(That's Erik BTW. Really nice guy. Let us dig thru their spare parts bin for about an hour and just take bits n pieces....man was that a fun trip.)

:o

*faints*

Jeeze man. Will you adopt me? You've got the coolest friends!

Yeah, the Executor (or better yet, the Lusankya) would be bigger than that. Officially a SSD is 19.0km while an ISD is 1.6km. So you would need, Good Lord, roughly 20 Lego Star Destroyer sets to make an accurate, in scale SSD.

On a related note, did any one else naturally log the $300 set as being an Imperial-class SD, with the $100 set being a Victory-class? Or was that just me cause I'm such a geek?

2 great sites to check out would be Super Star Destroyer discussion and Starship Dimentions.

Nope, I did the same TM2. I'm just as much of a Star Wars geek as you it would seem. :P

The last few posts have gotten me all hot to trot when if comes to ISD's so.........

Went out and purchased set # 6211, the 100 dollar isd. Blew my "fun" budget for the rest of the month, but what the hell, it's THE coolest spaceship ever.

Ivan- 300 dollars at one go? Now that's a fun budget!

More pics from the trip. (I apologize in advance for the quality - I'm not a photog - my wife usually takes the pics in the family, so this was my first time really using the camera for more than just a couple quick shots.)

S5300015.jpg

S5300017.jpg

S5300018.jpg

S5300011.jpg

S5300007.jpg

In this pic, they're 'watching' Raiders of the Lost Ark' IIRC:

S5300038.jpg

S5300036.jpg

S5300031.jpg

S5300040.jpg

S5300030.jpg

S5300029.jpg

Here are some of the bins we got to ransack:

S5300024.jpg

S5300023.jpg

• 2 months later...

So we just received a slim Lego catalog in the mail, and I must say: those Indinia Jones sets are some of the coolest stuff.

1) They're pretty sweet in their own right

2) They've got the best MiniMate pontential since the Lego Batboat

3) They make me wish DST could score an agreement with Lucas

:)

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...