UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Universal Monsters Minimates

I'm guessing you either aren't a big fan of older monster movies or you somehow just never chanced across seeing "This Island Earth". :)

I haven't seen every movie ever made (wouldn't want to), but I consider myself enough of a cinephile to at least know of most movies...and I've never even heard of "This Island Earth"... :huh:

The MST3K movie was This Island Earth actually. Absolutely hilarious.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen every movie ever made (wouldn't want to), but I consider myself enough of a cinephile to at least know of most movies...and I've never even heard of "This Island Earth"... :huh:

Yeah, in most monster movie circles, "This Island Earth" is considered to be one of the latter of the "Universal Monsters" films solely because of the Mutant. It was released in the 1955, one year after the "Creature" when the gothic horror had given way to space and atomic menaces.

T.I.E. isn't part of what I consider the "classic" Universal monster movies - Creature from the Black Lagoon barely qualifies (if they didn't meet Abbot & Costello, they don't count :tongue: )

Attention @ 13 minutes, 21 seconds:

For anybody interested, photo's of my current Minimate/Lego Monster set-up can be found here:

http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.php?showtopic=9802&view=findpost&p=243357

Your set-up looks great Mystery Man (nice Fender also)! I got the Vampire's castle & Monster's lab a couple of weeks ago, but haven't had the time to put it together yet. I'll post some pic's when I do.

I picked up all four sets at my local Toys R Us store on September 3rd. They were hard to find because they were on the side of an endcap along with the remaining sets of last years monsters (Dracula & the Monster). I was upset at first because I only saw the set without any actual monsters in it. I then kept searching and found the other three sets. I have openned them all as I like to display my minimates. I can't wait until I can decorate for Halloween at my office because these will be the focal point this year. The Mummy is the coolest one of the minimate monsters. I have to say that I am not sure when my Toys R Us got this year's assortment but I am glad I got them. I almost missed them last year (at least the Black & White versions). I am going to try to get a second Mummy as I want to make a custom I have been thinking about that I can use his head and hands for.

Happy Hunting to those that have not found the new Monsters yet.

Edited by Captain Paco

I don't exactly see why Hunchback was made before any of those left, but they're a really nice set of figures and i'm happy to have them. Fan of the Disney version so i suppose that helps.

This just cements my already deep desire for Disney (any movie) Minimates.

Just imagine...an entire wave of Amaterasu/Lockjaw/Terror Dog-style lions/warthog/hyenas, with Snarf-style Timon & Zazu... :wub:

Genie...Robin Hood...Pocahontas...Sam Flynn...Ariel with Lockheed/hairless-cat-style Flounder/Sebastian/Scuttle!? BEAST!? BEAST!?!? :yes:

I cannot wait for that Hunchback boxset coming out. Quasi with a Crown will make my Thrones Robert Baratheon more legit. Anyone think the crown will come off his hair easily? I'm sure it's glued on there, but I'd love to be able to yank that off and use on other Crown-worthy minis.

Beautiful sets! I really hope this wave does well enough to warrant another one next year. At the very least I would not be surprised if those Sarcophagus sets sell out.

One odd thing, did anyone notice all the capital 'M' letters on the packaging have a little black square in the corner?

Got my 4 sets of b&w Mummy/Quas and Anck/Frank to go with the same amount of regular Mummy/Quas sets. These guys are fantastic! I really like the simplicity of Frank and the groovy "sheer" effect on Anck's dress.

Man oh man, I hope we get more of these! Meanwhile, those 4-packs can't get here fast enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Am enjoying all of the Lego Monster Fighter mods that people are using with these.

Saw a set of these today and they seemed interesting.

http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/character-building-compatible-cobi-sets/

Perhaps someone who got the Doctor Who playsets can verify their suitability for minimates?

The set I saw was the Crypt of Terror set btw. £20.00, which seems expensive to me....but then so did the Who sets and people seemed to like them.

As always, if anyone in the US wants me to try to grab some of these, let me know. Always happy to help.