UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What happened to the space opera genre?

CmdrShep2183

Space opera used to be popular on TV. We had stuff like like Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly and Babylon 5. No current show on TV takes place aboard a spaceship. So what killed the genre? Bad acting? Considered too nerdy by the general population? Stupid looking aliens? Low quality special effects? Horrible or unrelatable stories? Maybe we were spoiled by the high quality of shows like Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead which makes developing a space opera that would appeal to this generation take a immense amount of resources.

Space opera used to be popular on TV. We had stuff like like Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly and Babylon 5. No current show on TV takes place aboard a spaceship. So what killed the genre? Bad acting? Considered too nerdy by the general population? Stupid looking aliens? Low quality special effects? Horrible or unrelatable stories? Maybe we were spoiled by the high quality of shows like Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead which makes developing a space opera that would appeal to this generation take a immense amount of resources.

Ultimate crosspost! Didn't you like the answers from this thread: http://www.scienceforums.com/topic/28034-what-killed-this-genre/'>http://www.scienceforums.com/topic/28034-what-killed-this-genre/

Expectations. Budget. A shift in focus maybe.

Frankly there's no TV show that could have the budget to really give a space opera that wouldn't have people wishing it looked better.

But on top of that, and this may be the bigger thing, fantasy took over. Ever since the Lord of the Rings films (and Harry Potter's popularity in film and books) people have hungered for fantasy. And television is looking for chances to give it. Game of Thrones, MTV's upcoming Shannara, the finishing of the Middle Earth saga, Fantastic Beasts is coming up in theaters and big damn awesome fantasy books keep coming out (Read Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind if you haven't already) whereas science fiction seems to be relegated to the big screen and even then more sparingly than it used to be. Things like Guardians of the Galaxy and the Trek reboots have kept Sci-Fi firmly planted in the realm of crazy fun stories without a lot of depth. And Marvel's other sci-fi story, Thor, is really more fantasy due to the mythological connection.

Basically we asked for fantasy, and good fantasy not Narnia-Sequels-Which-Never-Manage-to-Capture-the-Goodness-of-the-First-Movie fantasy, and people like HBO have begun to really deliver. If Star Wars Episode VII manages to reignite the hunger for great Sci-Fi, we'll see more of it. But for now, I'm LOVING this fantasy obsession.

Seems like that stuff has always had a relatively niche geek base, with ST:TNG probably being the closest to breaking that mold and into the mass public consciousness over the last 30 years or so. Even in the examples you cite, Firefly didn't even last a full season and Babylon 5 only played on tertiary channels where you didn't need great ratings to be considered a success. I honestly don't know much about the current state of things, but if they aren't even where they were 15 years ago or so, then my guess is the main difference is that geek fans have more and better options. Walking Dead and Game of Thrones being two great examples, but there are others. The overall quality of TV has increased significantly over the last decade or so. And I haven't seen traditional sci-fi shows popping up that reach that same level of excellence that we're seeing from other genres. But if something on the quality level of a Breaking Bad came out but was a sci-fi show, I'm sure people would eat it up.

Space opera ? Get to a certain age & you pretty much feel that you've seen it all before............ then along comes something like BSG & the whole game changes .

The game changed again with 'Guardians of the Galaxy ' .

Without going off-topic too far ,the bigger question is how the hell do 'they' keep coming up with even more lame crime shows ? 'Columbo' seems so dated now but at least that show didn't treat you like a moron ,you knew 'Whodunnit ?' from the very beginning ...........the difference with 90% of modern crime shows is that you know after 5 minutes & treated like a moron for the remainder of the show . Thankfully 'True Detective' might blow everything else away .

Space Opera has been replaced by two things; much cheaper reality TV and the comic book genre, specifically super heroes and at last one zombie series. Even action-themed animated series have given way to sillier, comedy fare with Young Justice and Legends of Korra being usurped by the like of Teen Titans Go! and Adventure Time.

Part of it also might have to do with society's need for escapism in the face of a reality that seems increasingly dire.

Fox's Almost Human was looking good for a while but reportedly the ratings didn't justify the production cost.

I'm hoping CBS will announce a new Star Trek TV show in time for the 50th anniversary in 2016.

Without going off-topic too far ,the bigger question is how the hell do 'they' keep coming up with even more lame crime shows ? 'Columbo' seems so dated now but at least that show didn't treat you like a moron ,you knew 'Whodunnit ?' from the very beginning ...........the difference with 90% of modern crime shows is that you know after 5 minutes & treated like a moron for the remainder of the show . Thankfully 'True Detective' might blow everything else away .

Hear hear. I love Columbo, and totally agree with you there. True Detective is certainly a few notches above just about any procedural crime show I've seen on television, apart from the Wire. But I think a key there is that the audiences for your CSI's and NCIS's aren't necessarily looking for an intellectual challenge. The studios could give us smarter shows, and sometimes do (Hannibal is a recent one, though it's obviously pretty far removed from your typical cop/detective show). But if you want to rake in the money, do an NCIS: South Dakota or whatever instead of trying something really thoughtful and complex.

I'm hesitantly optimistic about Krypton. I will say that with Nolan's trilogy, the new DC movieverse, Smallville, Arrow/Flash, Gotham, and Constantine, I wonder how thinly DC can spread itself before it breaks. The brand confusion is already there with all of these unconnected media outlets.

I'm hesitantly optimistic about Krypton. I will say that with Nolan's trilogy, the new DC movieverse, Smallville, Arrow/Flash, Gotham, and Constantine, I wonder how thinly DC can spread itself before it breaks. The brand confusion is already there with all of these unconnected media outlets.

Yeah, bit off topic but seriously DC made a mistake not just integrating TV's Flash into Justice League. Dude's a great Flash. Plus if the rumors about BVS are true and

Jim Gordon is dead by the time the movie happens, Gotham could be integrated and not conflict with the movieverse in that regard too.

Still pissed at myself that I haven't caught Constantine as it aired. I wanted to see it.

• 4 months later...