UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Amazing Spider-Man 1/2 Discussion

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

I know there has been some movie discussion happening in the minimate wave thread, but I figured I might as well put the movie stuff here.

First off, Alistair Smythe is officially being played by BJ Novak {Whom I think is a fantastic actor} http://www.slashfilm.com/b-j-novaks-amazing-spider-man-2-role-revealed/

The Superbowl half trailer gave a link to this awesome 4 minute trailer!

Edited by darkredshdow

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

End credits scene spoiler:

Marc Webb, who made (500) Days of Summer for 20th Century Fox and
directed both The Amazing Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man 2, still
owes them another movie. But when Sony decided that they wanted the
director to start work on the sequel to The Amazing Spider-Man 2
straight after the first, the studios made a deal: Sony could keep Webb
for the next movie, just as long as they opted to include a teaser for
Days of Future Past in the end credits.

I just saw it and it's just a 1 minute clip of Mystique beating up military guys, it serves no purpose and has no meaning to what you just saw in the movie. What a waste lmao. Hopefully they're smart enough to throw something else in there but I'm not holding my breath. Webb already mentioned the CGI during the credits is the real teaser. Sinsister Six blueprints? Come on, we already knew that, tease something practical for once.

Here's what I know about the after credits clip:

The DOFP clip at the end of ASM2 is only an advertisement. It has nothing to do with the Spider-Man franchise. This was widely reported last week. It's not meant to indicate a crossover between Sony and Fox's respective Marvel franchises. It's no different than Sony buying commercial time on Fox to promote ASM2.

• 2 weeks later...

just saw this last night

I thoroughly enjoyed it, to be honest I couldnt understand too much of the criticism based on how fun this film was, it was just a blast to watch and felt not only like a 5 issue arc of a comic come to life but like a superhero opera/musical because the soundtrack was FREAKING INCREDIBLE

and one last bit of opinion

DANE FREAKING DEHAAN, he killed it, he stole the movie

just saw this last night I thoroughly enjoyed it, to be honest I couldnt understand too much of the criticism based on how fun this film was, it was just a blast to watch and felt not only like a 5 issue arc of a comic come to life but like a superhero opera/musical because the soundtrack was FREAKING INCREDIBLE and one last bit of opinion DANE FREAKING DEHAAN, he killed it, he stole the movie

My local theater had a early showing and I just loved it. Yes I am a huge Spider-Man fan so I may be biased, but I felt like a kid on Christmas. My thoughts pretty much mirror yours. The soundtrack was so creatively used, like during the Electro fight scenes where it was saying his thoughts and also what they did with the music during the final fight scene. Speaking of fight scenes, all of them were exhilarating and each moment felt ripped from a comic panel.

Dane Dehaan is an incredible actor and I loved him in this, the relationship Andrew Garfield had with him in the movie felt so genuine. Also, Dane's laugh? Perfectly done.

I can only really think of one complaint and that is that the ending felt a tad rushed, but i'll get into that a bit later. From the reviews I have read, most of the reviewers seem to be giving the film a mediocre rating due to the marketing, and while they went way over board with how much they released, you can't really say the film itself is bad because of it. The other complaint i've heard is below which is spoilers.

The other main complaint that I see most reviewers having is that The Rhino is useless and throwaway; Isn't that kind of a perfect reason for him to be in it? Ever since the Raimi films I wished we got to see more random villains pop up for a scene or two, it happens in the comics and I think if it helps the film, why not? The first scene with Aleski {I just butchered his name} is a great and fun way to showing how Spidey deals with criminals now that he's done it for a while now and the scene itself was extremely entertaining. The final scene with Rhino packed an emotional punch so it definitely served the film well. But unfortunately that scene was possibly my biggest complaint, the "Battle" was way too rushed. I do understand though that it was specifically to show off the Sinister 6 and I can respect that.

Out of spoilers. The film is slightly choppy, but all in all, even my friend who hated Amazing Spider-Man liked it, it's definitely worth a shot.

Edited by DarkRedShadow

I think this was more of The Adequate Spider-Man but that's partly because, much as I felt the acting was good the dialogue was atrocious in far too many scenes. It felt stilted, disconnected. But the characterization of Electro as a narcissist was an excellent choice and Dane DeHaan just owns his scenes. The rushed ending left much to be desired though as I felt like the Goblin fight was far too short to be much of anything. And the movie, up until Electro's entrance, was very slow. And even then after Electro's debut in Times Square it fell back into more of a crawl. Very odd pacing. Still love Garfield as Spider-Man and Emma Stone's a delight.

May Gwen rest in peace. Anyone else notice how much they emphasized that they extracted the Spider's Venom? Personally I think Harry's gonna go futher in his search for a cure and wind up as Venom himself.

All in all, the good and the painful made for about equal measure and I can give this one about a 6/10

I want to add though that the Times Square scene is one of the most undoubtedly amazing uses of music I've ever seen in a Superhero film.

Just... Listen to this damn thing. Electro's inner monologue thing that's happening is just chilling.

I liked the Electro parts of the score, but I felt that the music throughout the rest of the movie was baffling.

It kept taking me out of it, because all I could think was 'what the hell is this music all about?'. It didn't seem to correlate to what was happening onscreen. I can't even believe it was Hans Zimmer behind it all.

Overall, I liked the movie ok. Just like the first movie it gets a lot stuff right, and a lot of stuff wrong. Still not the film I hoped to see, and nowhere near Spider-Man 2 levels.

I thought this movie was a mixed bag. Spider-Man, the character, was amazing. This is about the perfect Spider-Man--I really have a hard time finding criticism of it. Fights were pretty great overall. Loved the web swinging, too. I also feel the pacing was a bit off, and some of the movie may have dragged and brought down the whole of the film. I liked Gobby quite a bit, and Electro wasn't bad.

Edited by karamazov80

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with you K80. I enjoyed it as a popcorn flick, the CGI was amazing. It was too long though, they could have cut out a bunch like the Airplane scene. It was unnecessary at best. I have to say it was an improvement on the first one in almost every aspect.

As for Venom, did anyone get the feeling they were focusing on Gwen's big blonde brother? in both the scenes? They seemed to linger on him quite a bit.

• 2 weeks later...