UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2011: Minimates and Femme Fatales Exclusives Revealed!

Diamond has guaranteed our store a certain quantity of the MvC sets, so I put them up for pre-order.

Sweet :D. Looks like more of my money will be heading your way by the end of this week Luke ;).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ms. Firefighter might be one of the show promos. She is featured rather prominently.

I kind of thought Ms. Firefighter (I call her Miss July) might be in a future Femme Fatales box set. It would be weird having DST give out promos of a sexy female firefighter to random kids at SDCC. Unless that's what's underneath her uniform, then it's okay. :tongue:

Interesting concept for the shirt, even if it is a little disappointing. At least it's not white. :)

I was going to link the quote from the 'Shaft' ('71) film which 'had' to be on Youtube ......but isn't :ohmy:

.....anyway ".....it ain't so black"

u aint so white, whitey. That was a fun movie

Is it me or have the prices for the SDCC boxed sets gone up since last year? I just got an e-mail from AFX pre-selling their SDCC exclusives for non-attendees and notices that both the Stormbreaker and MvsC3 sets are going for $20.00 USD. Weren't 4-packs costing between $15 and & $17 last year at the show (except the TRU set)? Makes one wonder how much the TRU exclusive set will cost THIS year, not to mention the Disney store set. Looks like I better book some OT at work. Ugh!

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Is it me or have the prices for the SDCC boxed sets gone up since last year? I just got an e-mail from AFX pre-selling their SDCC exclusives for non-attendees and notices that both the Stormbreaker and MvsC3 sets are going for $20.00 USD. Weren't 4-packs costing between $15 and & $17 last year at the show (except the TRU set)? Makes one wonder how much the TRU exclusive set will cost THIS year, not to mention the Disney store set. Looks like I better book some OT at work. Ugh!

You're not imagining things. Darn oil prices. Guess it's time to cut into the food and gas budget for minimates. We're all suppossed to be eating less and being more active by walking, so...

A few days ago I asked DST (on FB) what the prices were for all their minimate exclusives being offered at SDCC. So far AFX's Stormbreaker set will cost $20 US, DST's MvsC3 set (according to AFX's website) will cost $20 US (so I imagine it'll be the same price at their booth) and the only answer I got so far from DST in regards to my initial question is for the Alice in Wonderland single... $5.00 US.

aliceboxfront-183x300.jpg

Don't have any answer for the price of the TRU MvsC3 or the Disney FF sets, though I'd imagine they probably will cost a wee bit more following previous trends.

Oh don't worry, I'm sure they'll raise the rpice on the 2 packs so it even out. :pinch:

DST replied to another of my SDCC pricing questions on FB by asking me, "What TRU MvsC3 SDCC exclusive?" So I guess since DST haven't officially announced the set yet, it dsoesn't exist. Even though we have seen the packaging pics, IT DOESN"T EXIST! Too much has been said, I must go before innocent people are put in harms way.

UPDATE 1:52 PM: I just got THIS message from DST in the FB thread concerning the non-existant TRU MvsC3 SDCC exclusive;

I might know more about that tomorrow.

So keep your eyes peeled tomorrow for the OFFICIAL unveil.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

DST has posted more info about the giveaways at the show, looks like they are Calico Jack 'mates! They don't look like repaints, just repackaged versions of the TRU wave.

July 8, 2011 : San Diego Comic Con Minimates Giveaways: Calling all Freebooters!

Hey, all you Minimates lovers out there. So, you know how I said there were gonna be free Minimates at San Diego Comic-Con? Well, there are. Four, to be exact. A specially packaged Pirate Raiders Minimate will be given out at the Diamond Select Toys booth every day at noon: Robert Deal on Thursday, Jonathan Barnet on Friday, Charles Vanes on Saturday and Calico Jack on Sunday. They’ll all be distributed in bagged trays, so, on Sunday, you can put them all in a special box (distributed with Jack) to create your own four-pack! It’s pretty cool, as you can see below, but they’re gonna go fast, so don’t be late! And hit up the Minimates panel on Saturday from 1-2 PM in Room 9, for more info and giveaways!

pirates4packfront1.jpg

pirates4packback1.jpg

ppacks2.jpg

Ivan asked on Twitter if there was anything different about the SDCC pirates than the regular pirates, and the response was there is no physical difference - the only difference is in how they're packaged.

While the box set idea is pretty neat, I'm kinda relieved that they're not new Pirates. No need to panic and try to track them down on eBay now.

Yeah, it's a little disappointing for those of us who wanted something new. But I guess this makes more sense from a marketing perspective.

If a con-goer sees how neat these one of these free little pirate Lego guys is, maybe they'll take a closer look when they seem them at TRU. Maybe buy a pack or two. Probably works better than another blank, (even though I personally love them so.) Then that new buyer will see all the other licensed Minimate properties currently at TRU, X-Men, Sony, Cap, Thor, etc. They'll dip their toe in. "This Red Skull looks cool." Before they know it, they're back at TRU buying anything with the Minimate brand. Even that neglected Hunter-Killer tank crammed between the ripped Star Trek movie costume from 2009 and the malfunctioning robot dinosaur that stutters. Then they're on to their local comic shop to pick up older figures. They even buy that lingering Mandarin/Dreadnought pack. Suddenly, they're scouring eBay, posting on Twitter, starting a blog, making websites. Slipping faster and deeper into that inescapable hole we know as...

Check it out! Head to the DST booth Saturday July 23rd between 9 AM and 10 AM and say the words "search and rescue" to DST marketing supervisor Zach Oat and receive a bagged MAX hero wave 2 minimate. Edited by MINI_MYTE

Forgive my ignorance but who is Zach Oat, meaning where did he work before DST? Sorry, but I'm too much of a casual lurker these days to follow the toy industry too closely these days.

I believe Digger remains as a contact for Chinese manufacturing while Donna left awhile ago. DST Matt moved on but Uriel is the primary designer of Minimates in the New York office. Barry Bradfield does freelance illustration for Art Asylum and DST with his brilliant work. I know Robert Yee has worked for DST since they acquired Art Asylum, and he was Director of Legal Affairs for Toymax Inc. and served as Director of R&D for Monogram International.