UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Universe reboot in September...

Lobsterman

Apparently, DC is planning to wipe the slate and start fresh with pretty much the entire universe of characters at the conclusion of Flashpoint in September. The move, according to their press release, it to update the characters and make everything "more accessible" for kids and people who just met the characters through the movies, etc. So basically, what Marvel did with the Ultimate universe.

Whether you like it or not, it seems like this could be a good opportunity for DC mates to start back up. It's a (plausible) excuse to redo the main characters again.

Anyway, probably won't happen, but just something to throw out there.

After his terrific work on Green Lantern over the past five or so years, I tentatively trust Geoff Johns to handle this well – although it will be a shame to see all of the interesting GL mythology he's developed potentially get flushed.

I'll just be sad to see the likely end of characters like Kyle Rayner, Time Drake, Wally West, and other "next generation" guys who inherited mantles and went on to become great heroes in their own right. It feels sort of like when Star Trek TNG ended; at first, there could be no replacement for the original crew, but you eventually came to love the new crew, and it was heartbreaking to see them ride into the sunset.

Unusually ,as I don't get the chance of late,I've been handling :unsure: some DC Minimates today ....they were years ahead of the contemporary Marvel line in every respect & are still awesome.

Bane (for example), just pick Bane up & smile...because that's what I always do & I didn't even know who bloody Bane was :rolleyes:

If this is a parralell universe that doesn't really impact on the 616 (or whatever DC calls it) the way Ultimate was for Marvel, then go for it.

But if they are wiping the slate clean for all of DC, then that's a bit of a slap in the face. I just spent 2 years collecting the Blackest Night saga to try and get 'on-board' with the newly tweaked DC universe.

Still - i'll quiet my complaints if it leads to DC 'mates. I'm still hankering for Freeze, Ivy & Two-Face. (Although, who knows if they'll be around in the reboot)

Edited by Nessex

If this is a parralell universe that doesn't really impact on the 616 (or whatever DC calls it) the way Ultimate was for Marvel, then go for it.

But if they are wiping the slate clean for all of DC, then that's a bit of a slap in the face. I just spent 2 years collecting the Blackest Night saga to try and get 'on-board' with the newly tweaked DC universe.

From what I've read, it is a blow-up and reboot of the "main" universe, a la COIE. Although I wouldn't be surprised in a few years' time to see something like Infinite Crisis, where junk from the "previous" DC universe starts bubbling up, angry it got swept under the rug...

Groan. I thought Infinite Crisis was the reboot. Then the year without the big three, followed by the relaunch of the big three with Trinity.

How many times can they rehash the same origin story?

I'd give DC props if they did something radical like introducing only brand new villains to the new universe. No more Joker, Lex, Grodd, Cheetah, Sinestro.

The move, according to their press release, it to update the characters and make everything "more accessible" for kids and people who just met the characters through the movies, etc.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ContinuityLockout

Pardon the mild rant mode, but the way I see it both Marvel and DC these days are really reaching for a comics audience (kids in particular) outside of their longtime fan base. This has been going on for a while now, and until now I still haven't actually seen it work. As someone who frequents book stores, toy stores and LCSs, I have yet to actually see a little kid pick up any official Marvel/DC merchandise outside of maybe the odd Spider-Man T-shirt their parents got for them or something. And even the graphic novels and comic omnibuses don't really seem to attract anyone outside of comic completists and the odd mildly curious new reader who got a glowing recommendation from said comic completists.

Obviously the years and years of continuity both companies have going is a double-edged sword. On the one hand the rich history of both universes is fascinating to watch unfold from a narrative standpoint, on the other hand the whole thing also both takes massive commitment and is prone to its share of glaring facepalm moments. The only good way I can really think of for Marvel/DC to get the new audience they really want is to really put their backs into an animated series and pray it becomes a wild runaway success like Ben 10 or My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic ( :tongue: )... which is confusing because both companies already have their own animated shows out right now and I still can't tell if they're all that successful.

Your mileage may vary, I'm just sharing my own observations from a Philippines-based milieu.

Edited by NorthRaider

I could basically go on a long rant about this, or I could just nutshell it; It's getting late, so....

The main problem with comic books right now is that the people in charge of the two industry leaders have no idea how to sell comic books outside of stunts and gimmicks. They can barely maintain there captive audience, much less reach a new one. This, at a time when public acceptance of comics is at the highest point in generations. For a lifelong comics lover, this is distressing.

52 #1 issues across the board. Take that however you will.

I've followed comics for all of my 17/almost-18 years of life. i've gotten to know my history and i've researched as far back these characters roots as possible. For DC to just do this is a big slap in the face to me. I've loved DC books for so long, much more than Marvel, and this is very depressing.

On the brighter side, i start college in the fall and won't have much money anyway. So thanks for keeping my wallet full, DC.

After his terrific work on Green Lantern over the past five or so years, I tentatively trust Geoff Johns to handle this well – although it will be a shame to see all of the interesting GL mythology he's developed potentially get flushed.

I'll just be sad to see the likely end of characters like Kyle Rayner, Time Drake, Wally West, and other "next generation" guys who inherited mantles and went on to become great heroes in their own right.

I completly agree, especally with the scond paragraph. Kyle is one of my favourite superheroes of all time. He got me interested in Green Lantern and ultimatly DC, and over the last few years I have started to drop Marvel in favour of DC. Heck, I've even done a complete 180 on Superman and consider him one of my fvourite heroes (after formerly being one of those guys who consider him too powerful, aka someone who's never ACTUALLY read Superman).

Now don't get me wrong, I'd be happy if they did tone Kal down a little (for example) and I'm interested in seeing if maybe they can tweak some of the other characters. Grant Morrison on Superman is a great idea after the brilliant job he did on All-Stars. However does this mean the excellent run on Booster Gold and Secret Six will end? Will, like Lobsterman said, we lose Kyle, Tim, Conner Kent and Wally? Will Lois and Clark break up Peter/MJ style? People keep saying "oh it's hard to break into ___" which IMO is a load of bollocks. I jumped onto Green Lantern, Booster Gold, Secret Six and Superman in the middle of each series' run. OK granted I jumped onto GL with Sinestro Corps, BG with the BN tie in and Superman with Grounded, but I also picked up the relevent trades for them to help me get the back story and as for Secret Six, I just jumped on and enjoyed the ride. Heck Usagi Yojimbo I collected in trades only - out of order I might add, until a few years ago when I started getting the comics, despite a two/three year gap between where I was in the trades and where the comic is.

I can't help but wonder if this is DC's answer to Marvel Reborn and we all know how well that went.

I'm kinda split on how i feel.

I like the idea of a new jumping on point and updating some of the history is ok especially with the JSA, the way they did it on smallville was inventive and original. by rebooting the entire thing at the same time DC can avoid such major continuity mistakes such as post COIE hawkman and maybe they can fix the whole green arrow situation where all the Arrow related charcters have been written into oblivion.

on the other hand this reboot on the surface seems to be the equivalent of One More Day/Brand New Day just on a larger scale, the current people in charge don't like the way previous writers have shaped what exists. So rather than come up with an interesting and creative way to change things they just reboot everything. Things like Flash rebirth, War of the green lantern, Legacy characters(Tim drake, jaime reyes, damian wayne, bart allen), everything post infinite crisis will be swept away as nothing more than a stain on GJ and DD memory.

Characters like Wally West and Dick Grayson will be set back years in terms of characterization that they had achieved by becoming heroes in their own rights right and then replacing then being able to be standing side by side equal with their mentors.

Now I know GJ loves Hal but i didn't know he loved him so much he wants to be like him and become Parallax, rebooting the DCU.

i will probably stop reading for a few years. maybe pick up the annual Crisis on New New Earth team up special with the New New Earth JLA and the New Earth JLA. i will definitely come back when they print Ultimate Crisis where everything is rebooted again to the pre-Geoffallax DCU and just to make them happy we can get another brand new set of Issue 1's

As silly as all this sounds, can anyone really say they're surprised?

Might have a lot to do with how much Morrison has f*cked up Batman over the last few years.

on a side note, DC did 'recently' started up their Earth One continuity, which was considered a parallel to Marvel Ultimate.

I have to hop in and defend Morrison here: he did not, IMHO, f*ck up Batman. He did some wacky, wacky stuff, for sure, but at the other end of it, he'd taken a character that hasn't had a breath of fresh air since Frank Miller turned him into the Dark Knight*, and made his mythos interesting again. There was only so long they could keep rehashing the tortured, stoic warrior thing until it was really time to deconstruct what made Batman who he is, break him down into the elemental form of Batman-ness, and build him back up into something new. Grant Morrison is just the crazy bastard to do things like that. I've been confused as hell every time I've slogged through one of his blow-ups of a title (JLA, X-Men, Animal Man, Batman), but I've been happier with the character as a result.

*Actually, I'll append that: not since Morrison himself took the Dark Knight thing to a new level in his run on JLA, and came up with the idea of Batman keeping files on how to kill all of his friends...

Edited by Lobsterman

hey, what was it Shakespeare once said... "I could never agree with your statement, but your opinion is still more than welcome!"

The only thing of Morrisons I've read that wasn't self indulgent tripe was All Star Superman (and that because you can sort of get away with that sort of thing with Supes... Jesus metaphors n' what not). Give me a good, well thought out detective story over RIP, Final Crisis, Prometheus the anti-Batman, killing Bruce and making him a pirate and caveman or, must I say it... Damien bloody Wayne.

That said, I do see (and respect) your point Lob... would you say he gave Bat's 3rd dimension, an extra dimension... or something?

I have to hop in and defend Morrison here: he did not, IMHO, f*ck up Batman. He did some wacky, wacky stuff, for sure, but at the other end of it, he'd taken a character that hasn't had a breath of fresh air since Frank Miller turned him into the Dark Knight*, and made his mythos interesting again. There was only so long they could keep rehashing the tortured, stoic warrior thing until it was really time to deconstruct what made Batman who he is, break him down into the elemental form of Batman-ness, and build him back up into something new. Grant Morrison is just the crazy bastard to do things like that. I've been confused as hell every time I've slogged through one of his blow-ups of a title (JLA, X-Men, Animal Man, Batman), but I've been happier with the character as a result.

*Actually, I'll append that: not since Morrison himself took the Dark Knight thing to a new level in his run on JLA, and came up with the idea of Batman keeping files on how to kill all of his friends...

totally agree with you. Batman had become a very stale character and by pulling in the entire history and getting this batman of every era thing is so much better than the "I am Vengeance Batman" we'd had since years one, although i do love alot of the stories since then.

hey, what was it Shakespeare once said... "I could never agree with your statement, but your opinion is still more than welcome!"

The only thing of Morrisons I've read that wasn't self indulgent tripe was All Star Superman (and that because you can sort of get away with that sort of thing with Supes... Jesus metaphors n' what not). Give me a good, well thought out detective story over RIP, Final Crisis, Prometheus the anti-Batman, killing Bruce and making him a pirate and caveman or, must I say it... Damien bloody Wayne.

That said, I do see (and respect) your point Lob... would you say he gave Bat's 3rd dimension, an extra dimension... or something?

i've heard you shit on damian wayne before and i really can't understand why.

I'm not impressed by the new costumes at all. How do you mess with Superman?

I'll be interested to see what they actually do with continuity. Making the characters more "modern and diverse" is pretty vague, and it's hard to believe that Blackest Night or Morrison's Batman work is going to be thrown away.

i've heard you shit on damian wayne before and i really can't understand why.

Likewise, I've had you defend him before and I really can't understand why... the mind does boggle

Was this "Damian Wayne" fella dressed up as the wrestling legend Damian Demento, perchance?

001.jpg

Because if he was, then I support him alongside Joey. If he wasn't, then I support BobaFett and have no qualms calling him a useless sonofabitch.