UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New TRU Herald of Galactus Box Set

AllStarMatt

I blame Anne Rice for popularizing the idea of a vampire as a sympathetic character. Whedon's Angel raised the bar. (but Angel's humanity and soul were a punishment, his "true" vampiric self was very much a monster) Meyer just took it to a new extreme. I shudder to think of what the next step in the vampire's "evolution" will look like.

But let's be clear, Vampires are not cuddly sympathetic characters, they are undead monsters who see humans as a food source. The do not sparkle, they do not smell good, and their main interest in young girls is to feed on them. You might find one or two that are trying to retain or regain their humanity and not feed on the living, but the are the extreme exception, and most fall off the "wagon" eventually.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try watching Twilight with Rifftrax audio. My stomach hurt from laughing so hard. I am convinced it is the only way to watch the Twilight movies.

It really does look like Benny Hill when he's running :lol:

Honestly, I was struck by how lame the special effects were. Anyway. . .Galactus, uh, special effects were lame in Fantastic Four 2.

Edited by karamazov80

I blame Anne Rice for popularizing the idea of a vampire as a sympathetic character. Whedon's Angel raised the bar. (but Angel's humanity and soul were a punishment, his "true" vampiric self was very much a monster) Meyer just took it to a new extreme. I shudder to think of what the next step in the vampire's "evolution" will look like.

But let's be clear, Vampires are not cuddly sympathetic characters, they are undead monsters who see humans as a food source. The do not sparkle, they do not smell good, and their main interest in young girls is to feed on them. You might find one or two that are trying to retain or regain their humanity and not feed on the living, but the are the extreme exception, and most fall off the "wagon" eventually.

Vampires also aren’t real, their “power” sets are going to vary from culture to culture, most of what we consider to be “vampire lore” in the Western world is not from medieval times but from Braum Stoker and people extrapolating from his work (the exploding in the sun thing for example comes from “Nosferatu” and that only came about because they got hit with a copyright infringement suit from the Stoker estate and had to make a new ending for their Dracula rip-off). As far as I’m concerned writers can do whatever the hell they want them as long as it’s entertaining.

Is Twilight entertaining? I don’t think so, but I’m also not a 12 year old girl, somethings are meant for very specific audiences and they can have whatever entertainment they want until the world becomes completely digital and all media is store in a giant cloud system so the existence of things like “Twilight" and "Justin Bieber" start deleting from the world record things like “Thank you for Smoking” and “Weird Al” then those things being in the world become my problem.

If Twilight really bothers you ask yourself: why? how does its existence actually effect your life?

ON TOPIC:

I have no clue who any of these characters are other then Galactus, but they look nice with my Defenders and Hasbro Galactus (minimate Galactus goes nicely with Stay Puft and the Statue of Liberty.) so I really like this set.

Sparkle Clear Galactus works really well for some reason.

Edited by dr baghead

Vampires also aren’t real, their “power” sets are going to vary from culture to culture, most of what we consider to be “vampire lore” in the Western world is not from medieval times but from Braum Stoker and people extrapolating from his work (the exploding in the sun thing for example comes from “Nosferatu” and that only came about because they got hit with a copyright infringement suit from the Stoker estate and had to make a new ending for their Dracula rip-off). As far as I’m concerned writers can do whatever the hell they want them as long as it’s entertaining.

Well if you'd like to dip into older Vampire legends, or those from Eastern lore, they get even more monstrous and less human in behavior, certainly less urbane as Stoker's hybrid Dracula. Exploding in the sunlight is a Hollywood creation, but the general consensus of the old legends was that any undead had to return to the grave before dawn, usually because they could only be animated in darkness. (yes, aside from comics, one of the other subjects I know a lot about are the monsters of old legends, and modern cryptos. I and a veritable fountain of completely useless information) And "real"... well considering how far back and widespread legends of life draining undead, if one were to make the arguement that reality is defined as much by perception and belief as scientific fact... well you see where I'm going with that.

No, I don't think Vampires are real. They are, or for hundreds of years were, an embodiment of a primal fear- the monster in the night that passes for a man. The danger you don't see coming until it's too late. The terror that flaps in the night! The ingrown toe nail on the foot of crime! Wait... no... that's Darkwing Duck, sorry. Unfortunately he was more entertaining and menacing than Meyer's interpretation of vampires.

I have no clue who any of these characters are other then Galactus,

sigh.

Well if you'd like to dip into older Vampire legends, or those from Eastern lore, they get even more monstrous and less human in behavior, certainly less urbane as Stoker's hybrid Dracula. Exploding in the sunlight is a Hollywood creation, but the general consensus of the old legends was that any undead had to return to the grave before dawn, usually because they could only be animated in darkness. (yes, aside from comics, one of the other subjects I know a lot about are the monsters of old legends, and modern cryptos. I and a veritable fountain of completely useless information) And "real"... well considering how far back and widespread legends of life draining undead, if one were to make the arguement that reality is defined as much by perception and belief as scientific fact... well you see where I'm going with that.

No, I don't think Vampires are real. They are, or for hundreds of years were, an embodiment of a primal fear- the monster in the night that passes for a man. The danger you don't see coming until it's too late. The terror that flaps in the night! The ingrown toe nail on the foot of crime! Wait... no... that's Darkwing Duck, sorry. Unfortunately he was more entertaining and menacing than Meyer's interpretation of vampires.

sigh.

Please change your signature immediately to "lore keeper". I envision your head is very "The Watcher"-esque requiring AT LEAST two pillows. :biggrin:

They are, or for hundreds of years were, an embodiment of a primal fear- the monster in the night that passes for a man. The danger you don't see coming until it's too late.

You do realize this describes LeStat right? If Anne Rice started the wussifying of vampires as you claim, then why is he predator who sees humans as nothing more then a food source? Because LeStat is handsome? Dracula was “sauve” so really Dracula ruined the true vampire.

No modern interpretation of the vampire is correct, you want to talk early European? How many movies show their vampires as ‘bloated corpses’ (one of the earliest and most common descriptions)

Blade and 20 Days of Night are as much bullshit fancifying of vampire myths to suit a target audience’s wants as Twilight and Anne Rice, I just think it’s stupid to pick on Twilight for ruining “vampires,” It’s meant for 12 year old girls, you know how much crap for 12 year old girls is garbage? Let them have their fun watching something that is decidely not a vampire romance a girl and soon someone will make up a movie for grown men were vampires have souless black eyes (but are other wise unbloated humans) who hunt in packs with their superior smell (despite the fact they can’t breathe) and only Bruce Campbelle’s chin and Michelle Rodriguez’s tank top can save us.

sigh.

:rolleyes: that’s maure, I voted for Morg by the way, I hope it burns you up knowing I voted based on looks and got who I wanted but you have to wait for Air Walker and Fire Lord who you can probably write an 8 page essay on.

let’s end as friends though, not enemies (or at least frenemies): you like Cyrptids (me too!) and hate BS fast and loose descriptions of monsters: Do you hate ratty dogs being called “Chupacabras”, I’m so tired of that... I mean let’s say that ugly ass dog is a new breed of dog and it gets called a ‘chupacabra’, then some Mexican goat farmer shoots and kills a REAL chupacabra (with the two feet, the big red eyes, the spikes, and FANGS) what then?! We got to call it something else!

Ratty Dogs are to Chupacabras what Twilight is to real vampires.

I'm currently watching Twilight

Wow, you're actually admitting that here? Did you watch MyLittle Pony before watching it or will you just check it out after?

My only question is where do you set your purse while you watch the movie?

In his vagina obviously.

All kidding aside there is plenty of room in the genre for Twilight. If you don't like sparkly vampires or you're not a 13 year old girl, don't watch it. Anne Rice didn't start the pussifingof vampires. She just told the story from their point of view. She gave them the power to choose, gave them emotions, showed them as conflicted beings rather than pure monsters. Until after Queen of the Damned when they all became homo-erotic superheroes. Speaking of pure monsters. If you've ever read the book, Dracula is not suave, sexy, or romantic. He is a repulsive monster. Nothing more. Its the films that first portrayed his as romantic.

Edited by Rheul

Could Nova's hair be used on Starfire for an update? hmmm :thumbsup:

post-1897-0-55817100-1321626201_thumb.pn

The hair fits on her head just fine (is anyone else’s Starfire’s head terribly discolored compared to the rest of her body?) it’s a little snug, but shouldn’t get stuck despite her lack of “face cuts” like Nova. The only downside is Starfire has veru specific bangs (which aside from her color scheme is really the only thing about her design the TT GO! version kept) and Nova’s hair is a feathered widow’s peak, if you can get over that, it could be used to update her.

BONUS: There was some question to if Terrax’s beard was a seperate piece, it totally is, it’s not even glued on.

Uncle Lurch has asked us to take the vamp discussion elsewhere, so I shall.

:rolleyes: that's maure, I voted for Morg by the way, I hope it burns you up knowing I voted based on looks and got who I wanted but you have to wait for Air Walker and Fire Lord who you can probably write an 8 page essay on.

No, no, there's another thread out there about this set, which of course I thought was this one and cannot find this morning, where I did my usualy long winded run down of all five hearlds. I really should have added something more last night to be clear. I was not sighing at your lack of knowing who they were, Morg for instance was only around about a year or so and had virtually no appearances outside of the Silver Surfers 90's book. Air Walker only ever appeared as a robot, and maybe has 4 appearances before Morg's story, then he vanished again until Anhilation. None of these guys were what you'd call well known. No, the "sigh" was because I'd already done a bio for all of them relatively recently, and didn't have the mental energy to go over them again that late. Again, I appologize and should have been more clear.

let's end as friends though, not enemies (or at least frenemies): you like Cyrptids (me too!) and hate BS fast and loose descriptions of monsters: Do you hate ratty dogs being called "Chupacabras", I'm so tired of that... I mean let's say that ugly ass dog is a new breed of dog and it gets called a 'chupacabra', then some Mexican goat farmer shoots and kills a REAL chupacabra (with the two feet, the big red eyes, the spikes, and FANGS) what then?! We got to call it something else!

Ratty Dogs are to Chupacabras what Twilight is to real vampires.

Chupa's one of my favorite Cryptids. Such a wonderfully alien description, like a monkey mixed with a kangeroo, a lizard, and "grey". With bat wings... sometimes. I loved that mayor on Puerta Rico who spent some of 94-95 charging into the hill, leading hunting parties to kill the beast. And how it started showing up in America... but only where there was a large hispanic population. (which made a siting outside a Boston College pub specious at best) So when Chupa sitings started in the American South West, of course the authorites gave the standard answer- wild dog attacks. And that's about the time these ratty coeyote/dog hybrids started showing up in numbers, and being a relatively new species of canine, these wild dogs started being reffered to as Chupas. Afterall, the authorities said it was wild dogs responsible for the Chupacabras attacks, and these are weird looking wild dogs, ergo... except the little ratty dogs look nothing like the original reports. So yeah, that irratates me. I'm glad they've discorved a new canine species and all, but the ratty little hybrids need a new name. Interestingly enough, the original Chupas resemlbe and African Cryptid in description; the Popabahwa (sp). Major difference though, in addition to killing livestock, the always winged Popabahwa has a nasty reputation for a raping people in their sleep. (I wish I was making this up).

But then, that probably is a little too of topic too. Sorry, Uncle Lurch.

Could Nova's hair be used on Starfire for an update? hmmm :thumbsup:

post-1897-0-55817100-1321626201_thumb.pn

The hair fits on her head just fine (is anyone else’s Starfire’s head terribly discolored compared to the rest of her body?) it’s a little snug, but shouldn’t get stuck despite her lack of “face cuts” like Nova. The only downside is Starfire has veru specific bangs (which aside from her color scheme is really the only thing about her design the TT GO! version kept) and Nova’s hair is a feathered widow’s peak, if you can get over that, it could be used to update her.

Brilliant!

Hm...so Morg can disguise himself when he leaves the Amish community? I was hoping that was the case since one of mine has his beard attached off center. How easy was it to remove it?

surprisingly easy... pop his head off, then flip it over, hold the head itself and you can ‘peel’ off the beard like the soda pop top.

The only downside is Starfire has veru specific bangs (which aside from her color scheme is really the only thing about her design the TT GO! version kept) and Nova’s hair is a feathered widow’s peak, if you can get over that, it could be used to update her.

The bangs thing does bother me a bit, but not as much as the translucency towards her head. It should fade in.

Hey Miry, if you haven't already read it, you should check out The Natural History of Unicorns. It's a wonderful book that discusses at length the history of the unicorn myth and where it finds its roots in nature. (Not trying to further derail a thread, so I guess maybe a cryptid/legends thread would be a better place to continue.)

Edited by Turtle

>shrug< I would have liked to have an extra set, and if by some miracle I find them retail this season I probably will get them. But cash was low when these showed up, so one set is all I got. No Madam Masque and Red Ghost for me yet. Ah, well.