Shockini's....

bruticus

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Has anybody seen in person or bought any Indie Spotlight figures?

Talked about them a bit in the haul thread, but I got a Scud and a Katchoo (didn't see them in person, preordered them on BBTS when they went up about a million years ago).

Scud's just about perfect in sculpt/detailing/poseability, literally the only bad thing I can say is they did that annoying "painted shading" (like on the Classic Iron Man mighty mugg) along his right side, with dusted red paint. In the wrong light/angle it can look too heavy, but I don't find it that distracting unless you're looking head-on at the shading line.

Katchoo, again, is a surprisingly solid figure given Shocker's rep/history (and also much better than the prototype pics). But I mostly bought her to get a pink Isz to go with the white one Scud came with. Both Isz are perfect. I'm a huge Maxx fan but I didn't get that figure, just looked too "Hulked up", with too much articulation, and they sculpted the "teeth" part of his mask way too big (funnily enough, my only complaint with the old McFarlane Maxx fig is also about that part of the mask, which they sculpted as actual teeth).

For the mandatory Shocker-bashing I will point out that in the package copy they refer to the series as "Indie Spotlight" and "Indy Spotlight" within a couple of lines, and that apparently these "Products and colors mat vary."

I've seen photos/reviews up on the Fwoosh boards if you're looking for more opinions on the line...

Has anybody seen in person or bought any Indie Spotlight figures?

Talked about them a bit in the haul thread, but I got a Scud and a Katchoo (didn't see them in person, preordered them on BBTS when they went up about a million years ago).

I've seen photos/reviews up on the Fwoosh boards if you're looking for more opinions on the line...

Thank you Battlecat!

I will look forward to my SCUD then (waiting for minimates to come in before shipping my pile of loot from bbts). I thought about the Maxx, too; but something just seemed "off" in the pictures. Well, that and I didn't want to explain why he was flipping the bird at everyone...

I don't normally buy the first series of a line sight unseen, but really wanted a Scud, and knew I wouldn't find one at retail. Thanks again for sharing your opinion.

It did make me feel a bit dirty/Bizarro World, to be praising Shocker on the internet... If it helps I still think they're a pretty ridiculous organization with astoundingly unprofessional message board posts, legal tactics and production times. I just happened to like one of their toys...

Some reviews.

http://youbentmywookie.com/reviews/shocker...hoo-review-6047

http://youbentmywookie.com/reviews/shocker...ant-review-5798

I'll be daft. Shocker Toys did something not horrible. Not good, but not horrible.

EDIT: On second look, those reviews are WAAAAAAAAY too forgiving. "it doesn't really look like the character, but that's okay. There's a bunch of articulation that's essentially useless, but that's okay." Nope, not okay.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I was kind of hoping that the whole "designer toy" fad has come and gone. Mighty Muggs were the most popular from what I gather, and they have apparently stopped production on most lines (though I did see some Iron Man movie Muggs at Toys R Us yesterday). Those Mezco Hellboy versions just sit there, as well. These don't strike me as particularly different from either of those, so I don't know what Shocker is hoping to achieve with this.

Having said that, I like the licenses they are going after--My Pet Monster, the Phantom, and Madballs.

Edited by karamazov80