UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Next Gen Consols Coming in 2012?

The rumor mill is blasting with news of E3 unveilings of the new Nintendo system and now news of a new Xbox! Even if it is only rumors I say its about time. My copy of LA Noire on the 360 will be on three discs! I have had this beast (or atleast this brand, not the same machine) since just after release five years ago and I want to join others in enjoying Blu-Ray discs and hopefully some 3dtv support.

Links

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/116/1166424p1.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20054034-1.html

They'd be foolish to do it. The 360 is the oldest and in my opinion is finally hitting a consistent stride. There's still much they can do with it and push it further graphics wise. Besides, thy'd try for a 3D thing which is crap. Also, the economy can't support a new launch right now.

I believe the true "Next Gen" Console is going to change the way we play games. I believe it Microsoft releases a system now it's only going to be a minor graphical upgrade with not much to show for it. I believe the future is digital distribution. I do not believe Microsoft will ever carry a Blu-Ray player, or Nintendo for that matter. I know that Project Cafe will be really cool and it will be better than both the 360 and PS3. However, at this stage, IF Microsoft releases a new console in 2012, it will basically be on par with whatever Nintendo is working on, it will not be a true "leap" to a "next generation". Do I think they will do it? Yes, and do I think it will sell? Yes. But do I think it will be worth it? No.

I am calling this a "Mid-Generation", and here is why. For Nintendo, it's showing that they can still play with the big boys. They are going to be able to get full Cross-Platform support and build some decent relationships with their old Third Parties. At the same time, HD Mario and Zelda will make their system a must own. It will also buy them another 2 or 3 years to build steam going into the true "Next Generation". For Microsoft, it's simply a way to generate the hype needed to stay number 1. They don't want to fall behind the PS3 which is more powerful, and the "Cafe" with will be the "New" and let Xbox 360 because the oldest hardware on the market. They will release, basically an Xbox 360.5. It will be more powerful than the PS3, but like the "Cafe", it will only be a marginal improvement. If you launch them both in 2012 you will get the early install base needed to keep Sony a distant 3rd place. Then, the real fight is going to come in the "Next-Gen" with what each company is going to bring to the table. The best thing Sony can do is let MS and Nintendo own this "Mid-Generation" and then wait until 2013 or even better, 2014 and release FIRST the true "Next Generation" Platform.....which at this point is Sony's only hope.

At the end of the day, Sony is in a very dark place right now. With the security leak, weak first party support, lackluster online service, and the understanding of their "10 year cycle", it's not going well. If this is true, you are going to see 2 more popular systems with more powerful Hardware release next year to rival all of the poor controversy around your current gen system. They are losing install base as I type this message. Personally, I will NEVER put any personal information on the PSN and will stay away from it as much as possible in favor of the more robust and secure Xbox Live. This is the final nail in the coffin of the PS3, and possibly the Playstation Brand. Like I said earlier, they BEST (and I would say ONLY) hope is to let the next Xbox and Nintendo system release pre-maturly and then release something fully revolutionary within the next 3 years. If that happens there is a chance....slight chance....that Sony regains it's reputation, but as it stands this looks like a 2 dog race!

In the end, I believe the "Mid-Generation" will last about 3 or 4 years and in 2015 or 2016 we are going to see a true evolution of what gaming is today. All digital, 3D Capible, Picture Perfect Visual, Powerhouse systems that will make what we are playing today feel like the "16 Bit" era. But hey, that's just me :). neo

Without giving too much away a friend of mine works at a rather large 3rd part developer, and they have a some "Wii2" dev kits and are in love with them and are heavily developing for them.

Bodes well for seen more than just Nintendo games on the system

It really surprises me that the X360 has stayed strong for as long as it has. It has its issues, but MS has gotten some year out of it thus far.

Oh Neo... Always the optomist when it comes to Nintendo.

Let's be clear on why Nintendo is releasing a new system: Their shares are the lowest they've been in the last six years.

Beyond that there has been nothing to confirm that they will attempt any of the things you described above. They haven't said they were going to do HD with the console and if anything there's a good chance they'll go the other way. They've already announced that it won't have any built in internal memory which is a good sign this is not going to be a powerhouse system. It will support SD cards similar to the Wii.

From what they've announced this sounds to be more like the Gamecube than anything. It will be a home console with controllers that each have a screen that you can disconnect and play seperately (Anyone remember how hard Ninendo pushed "connectivity" with GBA & Gamecube?)

I'm not bashing it. Honestly, I'm keeping an open mind since I used to be a Nintendo fan-boy. Especially since I have 2 boys, this console might be one I'm going to buy.

That said this console IS NOT TO SHOW NINTENDO CAN STILL PLAY WITH THE BIG BOYS.

And as for 360... Microsoft still hasn't announced it's successor so I'm going to wait and continue riding this console for all it's worth. Is it old and staring to show it's age? Yep. But as history shows us that's normally when the best games for a console come out.

If they've got a replacement coming we'll find out in a month.

• 2 months later...

Not to NECRO post but personally I think the real NEXT GEN console will sorta be like what some arcades have and thats those "put on a helmet and the game by moving around"I know the arcade version of this has really sub par games on it,But I think one of the 3 main devolpers can add some floring unit{to know where your walking} and voice controls,with great graphics,the thing could really be "next generation".Though thinking about it it's bassically old nintendo products combined into one{the mat used for mario's piano,the top gun microphone and virtual boy}the only difference is that these things would actully work.