UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Calico Jack Pirate minimates

From deadline.com

"Clearly, people around the globe are starved for entertainment. For those of you keeping score, Pirates Of The Caribbean 4's cume to date is Domestic $221.6M and International $735.2M for a worldwide total of $956.8M. It now stands as the 10th-biggest release of all-time on a worldwide basis, passing Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part I but behind Pirates Of The Caribbean 3. In fact, three of the Top 10 films are the Pirates franchise. And Johnny Depp has four of the Top 10 films (three Pirates and Alice In Wonderland)." :blink:

But I agree, the merchandise behind this movie isn't moving at all at my TRU.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, to clarify my earlier point, I know Pirates 4, as well as the trilogy earlier, are huge box office in terms of receipts, but I don't believe that has ever been tranlated into merchendise sales figures. I remember NECA and other manufacturers had POTC figure licenses previously but only Lego (and I think Playmates) picked up POTC 4, and neither set the world alight with sales.

Some films seem toyetic and generate licenses but are not commercially successful - see Tron Legacy and Spinmaster, Star Trek/Terminator Salvation by the aforementioned Playmates and Prince of Persia from Lego and McFarlane.

So it stands to reason that an unlicensed toyline set up purely to capitalise on the film hoopla will fail, sadly.

I haven't checked if the pirates are selling well at TRU in San Diego. But having a San Diego Pirate Faire (or convention) must bode well for sales, no?

http://www.goldcoastfestivals.com/SanDiegoPirate.html

I was surprised to pass by it on my way to get a haircut. Kind of makes me want to go in and spread the word of the Calico Jack line.

I picked up the two packs for the zombie and nukpana, so i used parts from the rest to make some more pirates!

First is Lady Francesca

100_7406.jpg

Patrick "Sea Butcher" O'Higgins

100_7407.jpg

Dominic Juliard

100_7408.jpg

His backstory is, he's a traitor who sold out the location of the man-o-war to Charles Vanes for a fortune

John Bowler and Huang Lo

100_7410.jpg

Member's of Calico Jack's crew, Bowler has been a friend of Jack's since childhood. Huang Lo joined the crew after he saved their ship from raiders in the orient.

Nukpana looks great next to mini-myte's charitymate Queequeg

100_7411.jpg

100_7413.jpg

Well there's a familiar face. How's Queequeg holding up these days? Not so good I'm guessing as he looks about to be disemboweled in that last shot. :D

Edited by MINI_MYTE

• 2 weeks later...

Calico Jack giveaways at SDCC

Looks quite nifty, although as usual, I expect lots and lots of full sets plus box on eBay rather than in fan's hands. Still, it's good for awareness without putting anything out there that would be a completists nightmare.

Sorry, I see it's being discussed here already. A rookie mistake! I'll be handing my Staff badge in now :blush:

If I were DST, and I wanted my "in-house" lines to do well, I'd be popping out vehicles and accessories to scuttle it all along. I think BHM said "what good are pirates without a ship?" but they don't have an booty either. Not to mention, loads of captains with no crew. Call the line Pirates Vs Pirates, followed by Pirates vs Zombies, followed by Pirates vs The King's Men, followed by Pirates Vs Indians, and so on. Instead they shoved it all in at once and there's a lack of line cohesion, and there's no boat or treasure to fight over. They don't even have any rum to drink. No wonder all the ones I bought insisted on being fodder.

And fer serious, the MAX line could use some vehicles too. If you had a motorcycle cop with a motorcycle, and a scuba rescue guy with a dingy boat, a fire chief with one half of the fire truck, and smoke jumper with the other half and some surprise little plastic flames hidden somewhere inside the package... well, I'd be in MAX heaven.

Punisher, I really like what you've done with your Pirates there.

• 3 weeks later...

So series 2 isn't even nailed down yet, according to Chuck in the chat. Pity. I can't wait for Anne Bounty though. Jack and Barnet just found themselves surrounded by Vanes and his zombie hordes. They need someone to rescue them. Sounds like a perfect job for her. :P

I wish I had the skill/setup to do photocomics. In the mean time, have one of these, on me.

Don't know if others have found it yet, but I picked up the Ranger ship with Bearded Pirate today at TRU. I haven't gotten it out of the package yet- gotta wait until I get home from work- but it looks pretty nifty.

Don't know if others have found it yet, but I picked up the Ranger ship with Bearded Pirate today at TRU. I haven't gotten it out of the package yet- gotta wait until I get home from work- but it looks pretty nifty.

Joe, were the hovering Delorean and the jet there as well?

There was at least one unopened case atop the shelf. I pulled it down and snagged the pirate ship. The other stuff was there: Doc and Delorean and the jet, but I didn't pay them much mind. I actually figured others would have encountered these already as Memphis tends to be little late in receiving new stuff. I will gladly post pics of the pirate ship tonight.

IMG_20110809_202423.jpg

IMG_20110809_202246-1.jpg

This is a very cool set. There isfar more detail than I thought there would be, and there are a lot of individual parts. Each cannon is a separate piece, the side anchors are removable. The mast isn't quite perfect. There are quite a few pieces, and I think one pic kind of shows how if set up properly, there is a lot of sag in the sail. There needs to be another ring about half way up the top mast portion. I tried reordering the mast parts, but it felt flimsy. The side planks are pretty small and fairly useless. Oh, and the mast can attach at either mid-deck or up front near the hatch. And McBeardy is pretty cool. He has a very well designed and tampo'd face. It gets lost under the beard. So, despite the sail sag, I'd rate this set very highly. The super-deformed thing works much better here than it has on other items.

Edit: one more minor complaint. The only foot peg is on the crow's nest, so your mates might tend to fall over. One or two pegs on the deck and in the ship would have been nice. Although I imagine me or someone else would have complained about that too. Anyway, avast, (mini)mateys! Arrrrgh.

Also, my one and a half year old thinks the ship is probably the coolest thing ever. I mean EVER. So, needless to say, he won't be seeing it again for several years.

Edited by Turtle

Thanks for the pics. I'm impressed with the ship. Though I am a little annoyed they don't give the pirate a name - McBeardy it is.

Yeah, I thought that was weird especially given the level of detail that DST has given to all of the characters and story building, but I think McBeardy suits him pretty well. I included pics of the back-of-card write-ups because I'm hoping there are some hints of what's to come. The top write-up is nearly identical to Calico Jack's but includes a little more ..."Along with the Spanish..." Yeah, some Spaniards would be awesome. The bottom write-up mentions using two masts, but the set only comes with the one sail, so you'd really have to get a second set to achieve what they're talking about there. (edit: just noticed an older AA blog post that says just that.) Also, the door windows are opaque, but the cabin windows are transparent. I'm still super impressed with this set.

Edited by Turtle

Also, my one and a half year old thinks the ship is probably the coolest thing ever. I mean EVER. So, needless to say, he won't be seeing it again for several years.

This is my worry too! I think I may have to share with my daughter (2.5) she is really into pirate Dora.

The top write-up is nearly identical to Calico Jack's but includes a little more ..."Along with the Spanish..." Yeah, some Spaniards would be awesome.

The Spanish are awesome and have been given too ill a wrap by the English (and their colonies) for the last few hundred years. The Spanish had the most powerful armada in the world when the English were still rolling around in the mud. And I'm being generous by calling it 'mud.'