UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Calico Jack Pirate minimates

In anticipation of Calico Jack, has anyone picked up either of these cheap Pirate Ships at Toys-R-Us yet?

These look to be pretty low-quality and scaled somewhere between Lego and Playmobil, and are on sale until the end of the month for $12.99!!!

Dragon Pirate Ship

Dual Sails Pirate Ship

The website of the mfg is pretty crappy, and I am unable to find anything about these on TRU.com.

At my TRU, these are in the very front of the store where the seasonal toys are usually located.

For those with a little extra coin to spend, Playmobil has three pretty cool Pirate ships out right now too. Playmobil scale is almost perfect for Minimates (a little too big), but all of the accessories would need to be trimmed to fit in Minimate hands. Playmobil is a much better value than Lego/Mega Bloks (in my opinion) and their toys have always been very solid and built for play!

Playmobil Ghost Pirate ship

4806.jpg

Playmobil Red Corsair

7518.jpg

Playmobil Large Pirate Ship

4290.jpg

Edited by youbastards

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zombie robot pirate ninjas for those of us with MZ packs!

Me likey. Think of all the new characters:

Leatherwing (pirate Batman)

Pete the Spider

Hairy Logan

Pirate ninjas

robot pirates

Platoon pirates

I called TRU today asking after these, and got a weirdly defensive employee. I gave him the item number, and after he put it into the computer, he asked rather brusquely, "where did you get that number?" I told him a friend gave it to me, and he responded, "you shouldn't even have that number. Those aren't in the system... you shouldn't know that."

So, yeah, apparently top secret. :mellow:

I called TRU today asking after these, and got a weirdly defensive employee. I gave him the item number, and after he put it into the computer, he asked rather brusquely, "where did you get that number?" I told him a friend gave it to me, and he responded, "you shouldn't even have that number. Those aren't in the system... you shouldn't know that."

That's funny. If you ever get that guy again, he may ask you for a security clearance code, retinal scan and maybe even a urine sample. Some people just take their jobs waaaay to seriously. That clerk needs to relax.

something similar to this has actually happened to me, but i went into the store with the number, i left when they sternly asked me my name, age, address and occupation :blink:

Hard to tell...I ordered some of the Marvel Wave 10 on March 11, and they are just starting to hit stores, but Wave 10 has not followed a typical release schedule.

On the other hand, there was only a couple week delay from when Groundhog got the Halo Series 2 'mates online to when they started hitting stores (now).

I'm looking forward to adding this line to my collection but I'm hoping it's just a pre-cursor to an official Pirates of the Caribbean line. I've got a couple fans in the house who would go nuts over Minimates of those characters. Savvy?

I understand that DST has to be cautious but I think volume sell-in with such a popular brand would offset the fees. If they could use their success with Marvel to develop a partnership with Disney, it could be a real boon for DST. (Pirates, Tron, Disney Princess, TinkerBell, Lone Ranger, John Carter...)

I'm starting to get the impression that when DST says "hitting TRU stores this week," it means "left our warehouse for TRU's warehouse." It seems to be a few weeks afterwards that the packs actually filter out to stores. Fingers crossed, though. It would be a coup for these to be in stores in time for the movie's release this weekend.

Edited by Lobsterman

I apologize for the language, but holy shit is that ship 10 times better than I imagined.

Calico Jack is the type of property that will hopefully allow minimates to continue beyond whenever licensed properties expire.